main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Naboo Queen Gowns...HELP!

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Surferdude017, Mar 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Bumping due to renewed interest.

2. Surferdude017

Surferdude017 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 27, 2002
    Wow, I was beginning to wonder if I had actually started this thread...cause I remember having GREAT info being somewhere, but I could never find it!

Daniel

3. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Unlocked by request. :)

4. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Unlocked for recent query :)

5. a-tastic

a-tastic Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 7, 2005
    I've done the Black Invasion (Sabe) gown and Pre-Senate Kimono, too, and I wrote up tutorials, of sorts. I also have additional pictures of headpiece interiors and such...
    I did the Black Invasion gown for about $24, and the Pre-Senate gown for about $62-- So, if you're interested in keeping costs low without sacrificing too much on the look, I'm more than happy to help!

Here are the links:

Pre-Senate Kimono Tutorial

Black Invasion (Sabe) Tutorial

6. PrincessOfTheed

PrincessOfTheed Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2004
    hey guys, Maggie (Padawansguide) and I had been talking about this fabric for a couple days. I found some fabric similar to Queen Apailana's gown. It comes in sivler (which I always thought her dress was gold, but it's si;ver. now I feel like a bad SW costumer XDD).

It is a "tissue silk". only problem is that the minimum amount you can buy is...300 meters [face_hypnotized] ~!

It's from a supplier for wholesalers and stores etc so that explains it...and it is in India also. they don't put a price per yard/meter though. you have to enquire about it....so who knows how much it costs.
    well I just thought I would throw this out for you guys to see in case people might decide they would want to pitch in and do a group order or something *shrugs*

it's on this page

http://www.fabrics-manufacturers.com/products/tissue-silk-fabrics.html

and it is in the 3rd row on the right.
    just thought I would point this out to everyone since it has been so hard to finda fabric that is similar......

7. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    I wonder how much it is a yard - it's the closest thing I've seen so far. I wonder if a retailer could order some of it if they don't sell to regular folks..

8. QueenAmidalaEP1

QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    That is much closer for the pattern, but tissue silk would not be crisp enough to hold the shapes needed for the kimono. And even if you used a stiffer under fabric, it would be very difficult to keep the tissue silk from slipping around and moving different directions then the under fabric.

The original silver herringbone fabric with gold stripes was a one off sample woven in India that Trisha Biggar purchased in England. The question about the fabric was just about the first thing I asked Ms. Biggar when I had an opportunity for a brief chat with her at the Dressing a Galaxy Gala opening at FIDM. So unless we track down which weaver in India did the original fabric and get them to do another run, it's doubtful that the matching fabric will every be available. And even if it's custom made, the metallic thread content will probably mean it costs an absolute fortune.

This company does do custom work, and also heavier fabrics, if we can find someone with a wholesale/resale certificate, maybe could send them photos of the fabric and see just how much it would cost to do similar fabric.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.