main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Naboo's Royalty

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DeltaVX, Jul 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeltaVX

DeltaVX Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2005
    Okay, In TPM Padme was the Queen of Naboo, then in ATOC Jamillia was, and then finally in ROTS Apailana was the Queen. Also, I have heard that once the Galactic Empire was in full swing, someone named Kylantha was "elected" and had strong Imperial ties, and I haven't actually heard any confirmation on this, but apparently Palpatine made a special order that abolished the two term limit. But my real question is that has Naboo ever had a king or is it just queens?

2. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    The source for Kylantha is in SW Galaxies: Ruins of Dantooine, don't know if its in anything else or not.

I'm pretty sure they had a King not long before Amidala, maybe even right before. Don't remember what thats from, though.

3. EmperorSorridom

EmperorSorridom Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 2, 2005
    The ruler of Naboo that directly preceded Amidala was King Veruna.

4. POTAStar

POTAStar Jedi Master star 2

May 26, 2001
    That's all EU, though. You can believe it if you want, but its not canon.

5. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Yes, it is. And what does it matter either way whether it is or not?

But yeah, King Veruna preceeded Padmé. It just so happens that the next few elections resulted in a female leader.

6. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    I'd vote for Padme any day. If you catch my drift.

7. Edel-Ien

Edel-Ien Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    King Veruna directly preceded Amidala. He was foudn to be corrupt and increasingly involved in offworld politics, something the Nubians (that what you call them?) didn't like. When Amidala was running against Veruna, she won the hearts of her people and was elected Queen by a landslide. Amidala was the sort of pure and innocent youth with great governing and political prowess. Shortly after her coronation, TPM happaned and she saved her planet. This won her people over again, and through her two terms she became a most beloved ruler. After her terms, the Nubians elected queens Jamillia, Apailana, and supposedly Kylantha. They probably based thier votes off of Amidala's excellent work and has then on preferred female rulers over males, believeing them to be more susceptible to corruption. Naboo has had about three kings before Veruna, before them a queen, and before her a king.

8. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Another interesting note is that Veruna "mysteriously" died shortly after Padmé's election.

9. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Veruna was taken out by Palps. I guess Veruna was traditional since he could have the dots on his face or 3/4 of his lips in red.

My question is would Palpatine have been pleased more with Padme as Queen for life or Galactic Senator after her two terms were up. I mean if she wasn't in the Senate Arena, she would have less of a voice against Palpatine.

10. Edel-Ien

Edel-Ien Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    Yeah, Veruna turned up dead six months after Amidala's election. He had gone into exile in the Naboo mountains or farmlands or something...you think Palpatine had him killed? He and Palpatine disagreedon issues, but who else would've gone that far? He could've fallen and died of starvation; he was found in a ditch.

11. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    POTAStar posted on 7/18/05 1:06pm
    That's all EU, though. You can believe it if you want, but its not canon.[hr][/blockquote]

Can one thread be made in any of the movie forums without a damn cannon war being started?

12. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    According to LFL, it is canon.

13. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Oh no, not the 'c' word. :rolleyes:

If LFL say it is canon then it is, whether you think it is is your own opnion.

14. POTAStar

POTAStar Jedi Master star 2

May 26, 2001
    I let myself believe lots of the EU stuff, I think it makes the story even deeper and better. I'm just letting newbies know.

15. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    The accounts say that King Veruna was killed, some say by an accident, but there is heavy suspicion that he was assassinated. Veruna was involved with the Trade Federation and their plasma mining efforts on Naboo. One he was taken out of office, the Federation blockaded Naboo to try and force rights to the planets plasma mines. Veruna also wanted to increase and enhance Naboo's military in order to protect it from possible off-world threats.

Seems to me to sound like someone was covering up his tracks, when he had Veruna assassinated...

16. desolateorchid

desolateorchid Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    Yes, King Veruna was Amidala's predocessor to the throne.
    And as for the circumstances around his death, nothing has ever been confirmed. He was found death, although many believed that he had been assassinated; the truth, whether he died of his own causes, or actually had been assassinated, was never determined, sadly.

17. Across-The-Stars

Across-The-Stars Jedi Youngling

Aug 28, 2005
    DUNNO:d but naboo is AMAZING it's soooo gorgeus.

18. Lyvia

Lyvia Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2005
    Naboo is just earth with digital waterfals

I have another question about the Nubian royalty; the king/queens are elected for a 4-5year term right? Padme served 10years and was succeeded by Queen Jamilla soon before AOTC, so if ROTS is only 3yrs after AOTC what happened to Queen Jamilla?

19. Darth_Joshy

Darth_Joshy Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 29, 2005
    Queen Jamillia was asked to step down from the Throne, as she had started to side with the Seperatists. She no longer trusted the corrupt Republic and believed it had lost what it stood for. However, the people still supported the Republic, and she became unpopular. She resigned, saying the Republic had become corrupt. Senator Padmé Amidala convinced the then current princess of Theed, Apailana, who called for elections, to run for Queen herself. After Apailana's victory, Jamillia left Naboo. Her destination was unknown.

Queen Apailana then took the throne. Apailana is believed to have been murdered by a Naboo Gang after refusing to let them take over the government, after which time she became scared and did as King Veruna did: went into hiding. On Apailana's 17th birthday she was captured by the gang, who vowed to be off-world, a gang known for mining around the star systems and had engulfed many planets before hand. Queen Apailana was captured and then murdered in a small house near the edge of Theed few months later, after politics ran smoothly her body was discoverd, only because of the Royal crest she wore on her head.

Queen Kylantha was then elected. Monarch during the Galactic Civil War, Kylantha was outwardly loyal to the Galactic Empire, but had implemented few changes to Naboo's democratic government - as had happened on other Imperial-held worlds. This led many to believe she was actually a Rebel sympathizer. In reality, she was not a Imperial supporter, but she did not support a return of the Republic, quite possibly remembering the last decades of the Republic when the Senate failed her world so badly.

Kylantha's rule was longer than most of her predecessors, but it is unknown if she was appointed Queen for life. She also appointed Pooja Naberrie, the niece of the famed Naboo Queen and Senator, Padmé Amidala, as Naboo's representative in the Imperial Senate during the years of the Galactic Civil War.

Hope this helps! :)

20. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    I'm of the opinion that either Amidala or her supporters had him "put out of the way".

21. Darth_Joshy

Aug 29, 2005
    King Veruna's rule was surrounded by scandal and in time, he became unpopular with the people. I'm sure many were unhappy with his ways of ruling. It's easy to believe a lot of people would have gone after him, I highly doubt Padme had him assassinated.

Official sources say ?King Veruna abdicated the throne and went into hiding after a thirteen year reign surrounded by scandal. He was found dead six months prior to the Battle of Naboo, and though his death was ruled accidental many suspect that he was assassinated.?

22. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    Oh, but you know she did. After all, a (supposedly) politically-adept fourteen-year-old can't have an older, much more experienced claimant to the throne hanging about, now can she?[face_mischief]

23. Darth_Joshy

Aug 29, 2005
    Well, in my opinion, I believe Palpatine had King Veruna killed.

Palpatine wasn't much in favor of King Veruna.

I believe he orchestrated Veruna's abdication from the throne that way Padme would become queen and he knew he'd have more control over a young teenager.

Palpatine is well known for elinating anyone who gets in the way of his plans. Palpatine had the Senator of Naboo killed which lead to him becoming Senator. It's also said that Palpatine had Valorum killed after he became Chancellor. Heck, he even killed his Sith Master himself.

I'd like to think Padme did something dirty in her squeaky clean life like kill someone but she's too darn good.

24. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    Which could quite logically lead to her countenancing actions which might otherwise be regarded as subversive or unjustifiable. Remember how quickly she denounced Anakin's spur-of-the-moment comment in favour of a benevolent dictatorship, and yet she doesn't hesitate to later advise her husband to consider treason.

Her highly elevated sense of right and wrong could, in my opinion, quite easily lead her to consider terminating those who transgressed her rarified political sensibilities, because she's so assured that she's always right.

25. Darth_Joshy

Aug 29, 2005
    This is Padme we're talking about. PADME!!!

In Episode III, she didn't try to convince Anakin to commit treason. Padme just wanted the war to end, to have democracy resume, and no further amendments to the constitution made by the Chancellor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.