1. Attention Guest.

This region will undergo restructuring. For more information regarding this process, please visit this thread

Nash, TN NADLP - 107.5 the River is unable to attend our line party - THANK YOU LUCASFILM!

Discussion in 'South East Regional Discussion' started by Kir Kanos, Apr 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kir Kanos Jedi Master

star 4
    Due totally to Lucasfilm's involvement in this matter, 107.5 the River cannot attend our line-party at the Thoroughbred :( . Here is the letter I got from the head of the promotions department at 107.5 the River:

We are very excited to say that we have the exclusive on the Star Wars II
    movie. According to the directives listed below from Lucas films, we had to
    design a speciffic promotion for this film. You will notice at the bottom
    that we are not allowed to tie in with any print or tv. I really want to do
    something with you guys and the charity idea is great, I just need to figure
    out how we can work together and still remain within these guidelines. I
    worked very hard to get this movie and I don't want to blow it. Based on
    the below directives, do you have any ideas that can work?

Please let me know, thanks!

Subject: STAR WAR DIRECTIVES

Star Wars: Episode II Field Promotions
    Introduction

Outlined below are Lucasfilm guidelines for implementing field promotions
    for Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones.
    Objective

Promotional mechanics should take the form of contests, special events, or
    other activities that brings to life one of the three key themes for Episode
    II: Choices (Forbidden Love or Jedi Action), Connections or Fun. Promotional
    activities should not be targeted at CORE Star Wars fans. The following
    guidelines should help you maximize and refine the opportunities that you
    are securing for Episode II.

Themes
    Episode II is the next chapter of the Star Wars saga. In Episode I we were
    given the foundation of the story and the story was a set-up for what was to
    follow. Many lessons were learned in Episode I, particularly for young
    Anakin Skywalker.

1. Choices: Now, in Episode II, it¹s time, not only for Anakin, but for all
    the characters, to make key choices. Choices about forbidden love, heroism,
    loyalty, duty, and honor. And these choices will set into motion events
    that change the lives of everyone and the course of an entire galaxy.
    ... Forbidden Love (the love story)
    ... Jedi Action (heroism, loyalty, duty, and honor)
    2. Connections: In Episode II, we¹re going to discover new characters and
    new worlds. But most importantly we¹re going to discover how all of this
    begins to connect to Episode I and the original trilogy (Episodes IV, V, and
    VI). We¹re going to start to fill in some of the blanks and answer some,
    but not all, of the questions.
    3. Fun: Episode II is about passion, love, adventure and excitement. But
    most of all it¹s about having fun.

Partner Criteria
    1. Radio partners must commit to a minimum of 3 weeks promotional support.

Good Partner Ideas/Themes
    Here are a just a few ideas that get close to accomplishing our goals:

theme market idea description
    Choices
    Forbidden Love Relationship tie-ins Love Line type tie-ins (about
    Forbidden Love)
    Is your mate the perfect match, or is he/she destined for the dark side?
    Promoting the love story Forbidden Love kissing contest<Do you
    kiss like a jedi, or a wookiee??

Jedi Action Starfighter video game competition
    Jedi Trivia Jedi Master Smack-down (trivia?) contest<not sure
    what the tactic is, but it sounds interesting

Connections
    Trivia Contests displaying the connections between the Star Wars
    films
    Using sound-bites, special effects, and music cues from the Star
    Wars films
    Star Wars "sound-a-like" call-ins<Can you talk like Yoda, Darth
    Vader, etc.
    Special Events Star Wars Date Party where guests are given a Star
    Wars character card and they must match-up with someone else.

Fun
    Giveaways Giveaways at underage clubs
    Special Events Music Festival Tie-in<How can you tie-in Choices
    or Connections themes into this event?
    Celebrating the 25th anniversary of Star Wars

Unapproved Partner Ideas
    Here are a few types of ideas that will not be approved:

2. Grand Moff Joker Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't get it. Isn't that Lucasfilm letter saying that NO radio station can promote fans lining up for EP2?
  3. Kir Kanos Jedi Master

star 4
    I think it just states that 107.5 the River cannot promote fan line-ups because they have the promotions contract. What is to keep any other radio station from promoting the fans or their line-up and not necessarily the movie. We'll see.

Based on this, I have a sneaky suspicion that our banner idea is going to get shot down as well. It would appear that Lucasfilm has gone the way of Disney and demands absolute control over everything or they will take their ball and go home. We'll just have to do what we "are allowed to do". ;)
  4. Grand Moff Joker Force Ghost

star 4
    Ahhh. Got it.

Either way... that sucks.

I don't much like how Lucasfilm goes out of their way to separate "extreme fans" from the rest of their activities.
  5. LordINVAR Jedi Knight

star 2
    Scott,

Can you ask the promotions manager at 107.5 that gave you that letter these questions to get a handle on things:

(I'm fearing that these Line Party Programs are going to be a problem if a banner and ads announcing a radio broadcast is going to be a problem).

Do they interpret those instructions as forbidding them to do any live broadcasts from the Thouroughbred on the 15th?

If they are going to do a live broadcast - are they going to announce that their station is going to be at a theatre for the premiere?

If so,

Can they promote the charity fundraiser on air by announcing the charity drive during the Line Party at the Thouroughbred?

Let them (or any station you are talking to) know this is for a charity drive - not to promote your fan club. The charity drive takes place in line however - as these programs ARE the fundraiser.

See what kind of response you get - that will be a litmus test as to what we are going to be able to do in terms of marketing this Line Party.

I have a bad feeling about this....

6. Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus

star 4
    Man, I am starting to think all this is a crock of S-H-*-*. Sorry guys, but it is. For LucasFilm to set all these guidelines makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever.

I hate to say this but I am really beginning lose my faith for LucasFilm. Crap like this that happens just makes me lose excitement over the whole thing. Give me a break. :(

The whole resemblance between LucasFilm and Disney? Man, that's right on.
  7. LordINVAR Jedi Knight

star 2
    Okay - some ideas. She said:

"I really want to do something with you guys and the charity idea is great, I just need to figure out how we can work together and still remain within these guidelines. ....Based on
    the below directives, do you have any ideas that can work?"

Without mentioning their specific station in our print flyers or ads - can we say "Live radio broadcast" ?

Without their logo on our Program or flyers - can they still sponsor our line party by being a sponsor for the charity? (in other words - they sponsor our efforts to print the program and stuff - it basically funds the charity by allowing us to send more $$$ for the ad sales directly to the charity)

Is sponsoring a charity fundraiser and having their name on the fundraising premium considered 'Print Advertising'??

Is handing out T-shirts, mugs, and stuff with the River logo on it considered 'Print advertising'?

What I am wondering is, can they indirectly announce the date, time and place of the Line Party by stating something like " The River will be broadcasting live from the Thouroughbred 20 May 15th in the evening to help raise funds for the JDRF and help needy kids. Join us there to raise funds and enjoy the Star Wars mania and party atmosphere. This fundraiser is sponsored by NAD, The River 107.5 etc., etc...."?

Just ideas - she asked how we might work together - submit these to her and see if we can go anywhere.

We may need to have such a fallback position anyway if all-of-a-sudden we find out that this 'no print/TV' thing is not just limited to The River.

The Broadcast is what is going to help draw folks' attention to the line party and the fundraiser.

We need to also know if this 'No print advertising' stipulation applies to the Thouroughbred and Carmike as well - because if it does, and the Program is considered 'print advertising' - BAAAMMM! We can do no Programs. No flyers. We might as well just line up and forget the charity thing altogether.

8. Kir Kanos Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm beginning to think that we may want to scrap the charity idea also. this is starting to go completely crazy. Evidently Lucasfilm has gone completely nuts and wants to make sure that STAR WARS is just another movie people go to see instead of an event. They want to make sure that the fans don't over shadow the movie, so they seem to be going out of their way to keep us out of it.

Now, TFN is reporting that the date for Advance ticket sales may in fact be May 3rd, the very day that the STAR WARS Celebration starts! What are they doing at Lucasfilm! It seems like they are going out of their way to punish the very fan base that promotes them. If this is true, I will have lost complete faith in them, as they will have gone completely over to the dark side. :p

9. LordINVAR Jedi Knight

star 2
    Scott,

If we're going to scrap this line party event, I need to know as soon as possible because I've just spent about 30 hours of my time working on this program so far, including all day today putting the inside cover and feature pages together. Keith is working on a web page graphic for the line party.

I think we need to have a decision about this by Friday evening. I have print and production schedules set-up to produce this program and we can't afford to wait until next week to find out about ticket sales, prohibitions, what is kosher or not to do in line and any other stuff that may stop us from even dressing-up.

But I'll agree - some nitwit at Lucasfilm is putting the cabosh on the fans - really attempting to take us out of the equation.

Makes absolutely NO sense.
  10. RocketX Jedi Knight

star 1
    I got their kissing contest, they can kiss my big fat ......

Sorry, I had to say it!
    Was'nt 99.7 at Bell Forge for E1? Would they be a contact?
  11. Grand Moff Joker Force Ghost

star 4
    Guys, don't give up on the line. It'll all be worth it. Things will start falling into place as information is finally handed down.

Everything will all be worth it at 12:01AM on May 16 when the black screen explodes with STAR WARS crawling upwards as the music blasts out.

Just don't let all the frustrations over planning, organizing, and running an EP2 line ruin the experience for you. And trust me, I'm trying hard to remember my own advice.

;)
  12. Kir Kanos Jedi Master

star 4
    Alright, in a last ditch effort to gain 107.5 the River's sponsorship, I e-mailed her this:

Wow! I can see your dilema. You are basically the promotors of STAR WARS
    Episode II in Nashville, TN , but you can't promote or support a fan
    line-party. Is there anyway you could encourage people to help the
    Nashville STAR WARS Fan Force Chapter support the Juvenile Diabetes Research
    Foundation and then say, "Go to www.Nashvilleforce.com for more
    information." That way WE are the ones who are directly telling the fans
    how they can support the JDRF, not you, which is of course for them to come
    to the EPISODE II premiere line-party at the Thoroughbred 20 and donate
    $3-$5 for a program." But, you won't be saying that. You will just be
    telling them where to go on the internet to find out how to help one of the
    local charities. Unfortunatley, if you were physically there broadcasting,
    you wouldn't be able to say where you were, or even help promote our
    sponsors of the event. Hmmmm. Perhaps what we could do is advertise this
    on OUR website for you. That way, 107.5 the River wouldn't be responsible
    for encouraging fans to line-up, our website would. It's really all in the
    litteral interpretation. If they say that you can't "directly" encourage
    fans to line-up, can you do this "indirectly" through us? Let me know what
    you think. If you don't want to risk it, let me know today, so we can make
    arrangements to get another radio station to attend our line-up. Thanks.

Scott Johnston
    City Representative
    of the Nashville Fan Force Chapter

This was her response:

To be honest and as I said before I worked really hard to get the EXCLUSIVE
    on this, I'd preferr you not go to another station. I know that many of my
    competitors were trying to get this as well. I will be glad to put your link
    up on our website and advertise that way, as you said they said directly,
    indirectly is another story. Why don't we meet and set this up together?
    Let me know when is a good time for you and maybe you could come here and we
    can put a plan together. I really want to help you guys out, and I am all
    about JDRF.

Thanks

I think that's a pretty favorable response :)I'm currently trying to set up a time to meet with her and see what we kind of arrangement we can come to. I'll inform of everyone of the details once I have something to report. Stay tuned....

13. LordINVAR Jedi Knight

star 2
    Scott -

Call me at home tonight after 7 when you get a chance. Her response is encouraging and I have some ideas you can present that (because of the way the Line event will be couched, worded and packaged) should engender The River's participation in exactly the manner we envisioned and were wanting to begin with.

Semantics in the presentation. I am good at that - I deal with legal beagles all the time.

This might work out after all. The lightbulb is burning. I have some ideas, and it's EXCELLENT for you to be meeting with her in person. VERY good sign. When she sees what we have done and are doing - THEY will find new ways to motivate their participation in our Line Party.

14. Kir Kanos Jedi Master

star 4
    UPDATE! I just got off the phone with the promotions director at 107.5 the River. They are not going to be able to give us coverage for our line party the day before the premiere at all. NONE! The promotions department that has the contract with Lucasfilm is going to even tell them what theater to go to. They will have no control unless they are given a choice. Unfortunatley, this promotions department has a contract with Regal cinemas. She said that if given a choice she would love to come to the Thoroughbred, but due to their contract with Regal cinemas, doesn't see this as being an option. She was absolutely sick about the whole thing. They were going to have couches, promotional materials, prizes, everything we had at the last line-up. But, alas, Lucasfilm doesn't see it that way, so in order to get the contract they have to spend an inordinate amount of money in just a few weeks while Lucasfilm hasn't even told the promotions group what they want to do yet. Gee does that sound typical of LFL right now or what! ;)

O.K. Here is the flip-side. The station manager at 105.9 the Rock is a personal friend of hers. The Rock is also a sister station to 107.5 the River. According to her, the manager has also been chomping at the bit to do something STAR WARS related :D They even bid on the promotions deal and were bumbed that they didn't get it. She is going to phone him this afternoon and tell him about us. I am going to send the e-mail I sent to 105.9 the Rock directly to him this time with all our rates, flyers etc... I will try to reach him this evening, if not in the morning. Unfortunately they don't have the money to be a primary, or associate sponsor, they will however be able to offer us air time and full coverage for the event. That will be their trade off. In return, we will put them on our flyers, our rate sheets, and our banner if we are allowed to put one up over the Thoroughbred.

We may yet be able to have a Rocking line-party yet. :D

EDIT I just thought of something, and this going to be critical. Whomever listens to 107.5 the River on a regular basis (I tune in every once in a while), keep your ears peeled for what theater they are going to have their promotional event at. As soon as they release that info, we are going to go to that theater on a Friday or Saturday night and put our flyers on every car in the parking lot if we have to. We will not be out done :D . I don't care who is sponsoring that event. While I understand where the River is coming from, they are unfortunately bound by legal obligation. It was a condition of their promotional agreement not ours. ;) Therefore, timing on this is critical. As soon as you hear something, post it and we'll make plans to bombard the place with flyers :D [face_devil] :p
  15. LordINVAR Jedi Knight

star 2
    Wow, what a bummer for the River.

Deal with the Devil kind of deal almost eh?

There will still be fans lining up outside the Regal I'm sure - but no organization or 'event' planning as you folks are attempting.

Hey, at this point - radio coverage is key to helping our success in this fundraiser - the Rock station sounds good.

So we will have two different radio stations pushing two different lines.

Hey - if Lucasfilm says they can't support one line over another - what's the deal with them CHOOSING what theatre they can promote?

I guess it's good to be da King.
  16. Kir Kanos Jedi Master

star 4
    More like the evil Emperor:

"Soon the fan base will be emotionally crushed. Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen"
  17. JediToren Jedi Master

star 4
    This outrages me. I can't wait for Rock McAllum's Question and Answer session at Celebration II, he is going to get an earful, and he deserves it.
    Prior to this latest complication I was given the impression that this was just a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. Now it is clear this is deliberate and malicious.
    I could totally see Lucasfilm screwing the fans if they would make more money doing so, but as I see it, these problems stand only to cause trouble for them. And whatever happened to LFL asking Fan Force for a list of the lines in each city?

Scott: have u had a chance to talk to your representative at Lucasfilm?

But we won't be beat. We SW Fans are determined and if McAllum and LFL wants to screw us, they'll need to try allot harder than that. Apparently they have forgotten that we fans heed the lessons hidden in SW: Stand up for what's right and don't let the man stop you.
  18. Wampa_Stompa Jedi Knight

star 1
    One of my teachers is the vice president of 104.5 and 103.3. I can ask him about all of this when I see him again on Monday, if you'd like. This is all sounding like a big pain in the ass, though. I'm considering not waiting in line at all...
  19. Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus

star 4
    We shouldn't forget about STAR 97.1 either. That station caters to the 80's crowd, and almost EVERYONE in that crowd loves Star Wars. ;)
  20. LordINVAR Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hey folks, don't leave local TV stations out of this fundraiser either.

Perhaps it's good The Rock is going to be our Rock in helping us promote this event.

Wherever, whenever and whatever, everyone must be made to know that WE - and the THOUROUGHBRED 20 - is the OFFICIAL NASHVILLE STAR WARS FAN CLUB LINE-UP. Not Regal, not General Cinema - but Carmike's Thouroughbred.

THE OFFICIAL NASHVILLE STAR WARS FAN CLUB LINE PARTY.
  21. JediToren Jedi Master

star 4
    We've been discussing the issue about the May 3rd ticket sales issue in the AOTC Tickets Going on Sale during Convention?!?! thread at the SW Celebration II General Discussion forum.
    Thus far Scott has been told by a rep at LFL that they were planning on doing the tickets ABOUT two weeks in advance of Ep2.
    We got the May 3rd date from a website for a small group of theatres.

Let's not forget that Spiderman is being released May 3rd. As stupid as it is for LFL to screw and lose the money of 20,000+ SW Fans at SWC2, it would be HIGHLY UNLIKELY that they would start ticket pre-sales the same day as another huge blockbuster. No one is that dumb.

We've seen theatres and toy stores jumping the gun before LFL has given official word and making promises that may or may not be able to be kept. I'll bet LFL does it earlier in the week and this local theatre chain has decided on putting Spiderman and Star Wars tickets on the same day, and not LFL.
  22. Scruff Jedi Master

star 4
    As much as I'd hate to see the tickets go on sale the 3rd, at least that hasn't been officially confirmed. BUT, if they do,...Lucas won't lose one penny because of fans at Celebration 2. There will be plenty of folks who don't go to sell out the premeire. Regardless of whether a person sees it opening night or a week later,..Lucas knows the real fans will go to the theater multiple times. He's gonna make his money.

Back in '77 when so many people lined up and the movie was held over for so many weeks, GL was asked what he thought of the success. He said something to the effect "it's just a movie." The whole idea that LFL doesn't care about the fans/lineup parties,...could be sad, but true.

But, that doens't mean we can't still try to plan something. (and hold out hope that this isn't true)
  23. Kir Kanos Jedi Master

star 4
    Guess what guys! That May 3rd date has been removed from that website. GEE, I wonder why. BECAUSE IT WAS A BUNCH OF BOGUS GARBAGE! :D WHEW! I just hope that it wasn't a taste of what's to come. If They have Advance tickets available within 48 hours of the STAR WARS Celebration, McCullum should probably just keep his butt home. ;)
  24. RocketX Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm confused. So 107.5 the River is going to have their own line up event at Regal?
  25. LordINVAR Jedi Knight

star 2
    Probably yes.

The deal is that the Promotions Dept. at the River signed an expensive contract with a Promotions Company contracted by Lucasfilm to handle media 'events' surrounding EP II.

The contract is supposedly an Episode II EXCLUSIVITY contract. This makes The River the "Official radio Station of Episode II"

The details in the contract prohibit them from having any contact or involvement with any other companies involved in the EPII promotion, forbids them from doing any print or TV advertising and requires them to spend a bunch of cash to promote the movie in ways they don't even know yet - because the Publicity company hasn't told them what they will be provided with. Thusfar it looks like The River is just going to be giving out free Episode II Tickets to the 15th caller in some kind of Star Wars gimmick.

The River has a contract with Regal Cinema (who will probably provide them the tickets) which virtually guarantees that they will promote the Regal and H-27.

Scott informed me last night that they are NOT allowed to do any live broadcasts except maybe cover the line right before the midnight show.

So.....

We need to make it very CLEAR - that even thoug we regret the River can't be a part of our Charity fundraiser - we are letting the Nashville area know that WE, and the Carmike Thouroughbred 20 is THE OFFICIAL NASHVILLE STAR WARS FAN CLUB LINE PARTY.

With Scott's description of the condition of the H-27 and the area surrounding it - and the superior screen/sound and atmosphere of the Thouroughbred 20 - The Carmike Cinema would probably be the defacto Star Wars line if we weren't going there anyway. Star Wars fans NEED giant screen, giant sound.

We are the "Official" Line-up and Line Party to benefit the JDRF.

Spread the word.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.