main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Name Issues

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by 81_Forever, Apr 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 81_Forever

81_Forever Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2002
    I'm writing a fanfic, full of orginal characters. I recently one of my characters, named Callista, is already a person in the GFFA. I didn't introduce her yet, so should I change her name now? But, I may get towards the end, and find out that it won't be a problem and have to change it back.

Should I change it?

2. Marawannabe

Marawannabe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2001
    I would say yes. Callista was a brief, but very visible part of Luke Skywalker's life. If your character is named "Callista" it is very easy for everyone to think you mean the real "Callista" (who some people's opinions of are not very high)

For help with coming up with a new name, Check out the Archive, I think FernWithy did a great article on it sometime back.

Enjoy and welcome to fanfic!

3. 81_Forever

Mar 22, 2002
    Thanks! It's pitiful, cause I always seen Callista as the leading female role, sacrifaces aren't things you see in books.

4. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Hm, I'd almost go in the other direction. How is it possible that in the WHOLE ENTIRE UNIVERSE there is only ONE female being named Callista? Or Jaina, or Leia, for that matter? Unless you have her obviously linked up with Luke, I'd use the name, making sure that the last name is different. And you can make sure the physical description is also different.

5. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    You can avoid using the name, or use it citing mistress_Renata's common name argument.
    However if I were you I'd go with a different name, especially if she comes in contact in some way with Luke Skywalker.

Names to a reader is like an identity tag to distinguish your character from all the others they have to keep straight in their heads. By using a name that was already used you're inviting them to connect (usually subconsciously) your character with that character and I'm not sure that's what you want them to waste brain power doing while reading your story.

Ofcourse I am a very picky writer when it comes to names. I don't even allow too many characters to have names starting with the same letter.

6. 81_Forever

Mar 22, 2002
    Thanks for the help, luckly I haven't got to far, so I can change it many times in a few minutes. I thought of changing her name, and there are some good ones, but for some reason I seem attached to the name for some reason.

7. Casper_Knightshade

Casper_Knightshade Force Ghost star 6

Oct 18, 2000
    Well this is a very interesting thing and I'm glad you brought it up, 81.

TRUE: in Star Wars, as in life, they shouldn't be such a thing as 'totally unique name'. Obviously that's the case in SW through the movies: Bail Antillies and Bail Organna, both from Alderaan, is a very good example.

Of course the other arguement against using names multiple times comes up; we don't see Antillies but soon we will be seeing Organna. So, in a way, one Bail negates the significants of the other Bail.

In a perfect universe, everyone has their own name. But of course we don't live in a perfect universe, and quiet frankly Luke and Han can't be execlusive names. BUT since they are key characters they are the only ones with those names for simplicity reasons. They are what literally circles call "Quick Identifiers"; you don't need the person's whole name to know who they are, and what role they play.

Recently, reading Delight's "Nine Billion Faces", there is actually two characters with the same first name: Solace. One was a super important character, the other for important scenes only. How they are distenguished is through characterization, circumstances surrounding them, and so forth. And, best to my memory, they are never in the same place at the same time. So consider that somewhat before writing.

As for your current situation: go with it. Hell, make it Luke Angst: he runs into another woman named Callista and has issues. Right there a name alone is a plot.

8. 81_Forever

Mar 22, 2002
    Good points. I should of mentioned my book takes place in the far future. so in the prolouge i can make sure I mention its in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.