main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Name Meaning

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Ghost_Jedi, Dec 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    I know Lucas loves using names to offer insight either either the character's role in the saga.

While at the os database I just noticed this one:
    Finis Valorum:
    finis - From Latin meaning the end or finish
    valorum - bravery, courage, honor

thus his name means the end of valor, which is quite fitting, seeing that he is replaced by a sith.

Or there any other occurances.

2. MacetheCouncillor

MacetheCouncillor Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    "fett" means "fat" (noun meaning only) in my first language, which is Swedish.

"han" means "he" in the same language.

"mace" obviously has a meaning in English (we don't have to bring in another to language to find a meaning there).

I do not believe there is a deliberate intention with these on Lucas' (particularly the top two on my list). In English and Latin maybe, though.

Anyway, do you think "Luke" has anything to do with the fact that the last name of Star Wars' creator is Lucas?

3. Ghost_Jedi

Sep 27, 2003
    "han" means "he" in the same language. (swedish)

Han Solo - He Alone - Which sums up Han when we first meet him, where is only concerned with himself. He grows and begins to care for others. Praticullary Luke & Leia.

4. hunter_ofthe_myst_ra

hunter_ofthe_myst_ra Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 23, 2003
    This has to do with the EU, but my sister told me that
    mara means "bitter" in hebrew
    and Jade means "Jewel"
    a bitter jewel, I thought that sounded neat.

also dorme means "it sleeps" in Italian

5. DarthNigel

DarthNigel Jedi Master star 3

Jul 14, 2003
    Admiral Ackbar -- Ackbar or Akbar means "great" or "greatest" in Arabic.

Qui-Gon Jinn -- In Islamic belief, "Jinn" refers to a spirit made of smokeless fire, which can take the form of a human being. I believe "Qui-Gon" or "Chi-Gon" refers to the energy of living beings in Chinese religion, and/or the discipline of harnessing and using that energy.

6. Handmaiden

Handmaiden Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 1999
    Qui-Gon Jinn -- In Islamic belief, "Jinn" refers to a spirit made of smokeless fire, which can take the form of a human being. I believe "Qui-Gon" or "Chi-Gon" refers to the energy of living beings in Chinese religion, and/or the discipline of harnessing and using that energy.

wow. if that doesn't strike anyone as a clue to Qui-Gon's future in the saga, I don't know what does. Very nice thread.

7. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    No there is not meaning to Boba Fett except the school bully when Lucas was young was named Bob A. Fett.

Seldon

8. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    MacetheCouncilor, in regards to "Luke Skywalker" - I remember hearing or reading that he did use the name Luke because it was like his.
    It was originally Luke Starkiller, but always "Luke S". (Lucas.)

Dak Oolron likes this.
  9. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Actually, considering how many names were changed, either in spelling or switched between characters, it's hard to tell how much any given character inspired their own name.

Now, I shall wait until someone posts the obvious wrong answer that always appears in these types of threads. ;)

10. Dancing_Jansons

Dancing_Jansons Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    I always found it neat - and eminently appropriate - that Luke means "bringer of light".

Dak Oolron likes this.
  11. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I think Luke's name comes from George Lucas's last name

12. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    What do you suppose Chewbacca means?

13. KÃ¥l

KÃ¥l Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2000
    R2-D2 - Reel 2, Dialog 2 - editing jargon!

Anakin - named after British film director Ken Annakin (Swiss Family Robinson)

Padme - from Sanskrit Padma meaning lotus or grace

Amidala - from Amida Buddha of Compassionate Light

Skywalker - another name for Norse god of mischief (and Marvel Comics villain!) Loki

Jango - from Spaghetti Western character Django

Dak Oolron likes this.
  14. Dancing_Jansons

Dancing_Jansons Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    I think Luke's name comes from George Lucas's last name

Yes, what I'm saying is George's ego-stroking worked out well because the actual definition of Luke reads "bringer of light". A neat coincidence in light of the ending of ROTJ.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  15. JediRandy

JediRandy Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 21, 2002
    No there is not meaning to Boba Fett except the school bully when Lucas was young was named Bob A. Fett.

I've never heard that... is that a joke?

The only Fett name thing I've heard is that he got it from Harrison Ford's character's name in American Graffiti: Bob Falfa.

16. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Yes, what I'm saying is George's ego-stroking worked out well because the actual definition of Luke reads "bringer of light". A neat coincidence in light of the ending of ROTJ.

I think it is more likely that he chose "Luke" because it meant "bringer of light" than because his last name is Lucas.

17. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Here's what I know that might be of interest and hasn't been mentioned yet:

Obi is an Ibo word (Nigerian) meaning heart, also used to designate the main dwelling of a compound. Wan is a Chinese word meaning gentle. Ken is Japanese for strong. I don't know if it's intentional, but it's interesting nontheless.

Also, Ben means son of. Hmm...

-sj loves kevin spacey

18. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "I think it is more likely that he chose "Luke" because it meant "bringer of light" than because his last name is Lucas."

Well, consider Lucas stated he saw much of himself in Luke, I think the later would be correct.

19. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    I'm not saying any of these are right, but they're what I heard...

Luke-From Loki, mischievious god in Norse mythology
    Han-A Derivation of John
    Anakin-a tribe mentioned in Genesis (I think) the Annakites-they reportedly fell from grace
    R2-D2-Reel 2, D 2.
    Orn Free Taa-George was looking at a box of Corn Fritters and inspiration hit...Orn Free Taa...Corn Fritter...Orn Free Taa [face_laugh]

20. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Better yet, maybe Lucas just put a spoonful of Corn Fritters in his mouth when someone asked "Hey George, what are you eating?" :D

21. PadawanEmily

PadawanEmily Jedi Master star 8

Oct 18, 2003
    Vader in dutch or german means father...i'm not quite sure

22. Ghost_Jedi

Sep 27, 2003
    ^^^ MeBeJedi wait no longer

23. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    [face_laugh]

It was inevitable. :p

[i]"Darth is the combination of the first and last two letters of " DArk Lord of the SiTH".

It�´s an EU thing, but a good one!"[/i]

Incorrect on both counts, since "Darth Vader" was the character's full name in early writings of Star Wars.

From [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=12490176]Opinions of the Sith Lord title "Darth"[/link]
    [blockquote][i][b]12. GOVERNOR HOEDAACK'S QUARTERS - ALDERAAN

The large, white-on-white executive quarters resound with the high-pitched
    laugh of the evil Governor Hoedaack. He slaps Darth Vader, a tall, grim-
    looking general, on the back, and the general's mouth makes the slightest
    gesture at a smile.

HOEDAACK
    [hl=white]Darth[/hl], you've done well. Do you think you will have the Royal Family by
    nightfall?

VADER
    An advance expedition is already on its way to their underground hideaway.
    They should reach it by nightfall... but only if this Count Sandage can be
    trusted.

66. LIBRARY - PALACE OF LITE - AQUILAE

The king's old library has been converted into an office for [hl=white]General Vader[/hl].
    He is sitting behind his desk as Prince Valorum, the black knight of Sith,
    enters and salutes. The black knight is dressed in the fascist black and
    chrome uniform of the legendary Sith One Hundred. The general returns his
    salute.

VADER
    Welcome, Prince Valorum. Your exploits are legendary. [hl=white]I have long waited to
    meet a Knight of the Sith.[/hl] If there is any way I can assist you, my entire
    command is at your bidding.

VALORUM
    I want a tie-in to your computer network, a control center, and communication
    access.

VADER
    Right away! I'll also transfer all information we have on the general. His
    command post was self-destroyed, but we believe he is still alive.... Do you
    really believe he's a Jedi?[/b][/i] - [link=http://www.geocities.com/jjehrnwa/scripts/sw_rough-draft.zip]The Star Wars: first draft[/link][/blockquote]
    As you can see, "Darth Vader" isn't even a Sith. The name simply sounded cool to Lucas. This is also evidence against the myth of the Dutch translation of "Dark Father". It is merely a coincidence, since he isn't even related to Luke in the early stories.

[i]"And Lucas took it like that meaning father of luke obviously. he said that like years ago"[/i]

First of all, what's the point in Palpatine giving Anakin a name referring to "father" if Palpatine isn't supposed to know about Anakin's children?[blockquote][b]Obi-wan - [i]To protect you both from the Emperor, you were hidden from your father when you were born. The Emperor knew, as I did, if Anakin were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him. That is the reason why your sister remains safely anonymous[/i][/b][/blockquote]Secondly, not only will you [u]not[/u] find a Lucas quote stating that fact, but here is an early draft of Star Wars.

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=12153876&start=12381820]Where does the name VADER comes from??[/link]

[blockquote][i][b]"May 1974--After working for more than a year, George completed the first draft screenplay to The Star Wars. The story introduced the Jedi Bendu, who were the chief architects of the invincible Imperial Space Force and personal bodyguards of the Emperor, and pitted them against the evil Knights of the Sith, a sinister warrior sect. [hl=white]The hero Annikin Starkiller, eighteen, his younger brother Deak, and their father Kane[/hl] - the last of the Jedi Bendu - have been hiding out on the desert planet of Utapau for many years. When Deak is killed by a seven-foot tall black knight, who comes looking for them, Kane decides that it's time to end their exile.

Meanwhile, on the cloud city of Alderaan, the Emperor Cos Da**** launches a final assault on the last of the independent systems with secret orders to destroy the last of the Jedi on Aquilae. [hl=white]Luke Skywalker , an aging general in his sixties and former Jedi master[/hl], tries

Dak Oolron likes this.
  24. Ghost_Jedi

Sep 27, 2003
    I found an intersting one just now. Before I was reading an article off espn.com and the columnist used the word: Palpable. So naturally I decided to look it up, and here is the meaning from my trusty Random House Webster's College Dictionary:

readily or plainly seen or precieved; obvious.

Definitely not what our democracy loving senator

25. TheFury

TheFury Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2003
    SITH= In Scottish and Celtic mythology there 'SIDHE' pronounced 'SITH' and these are 'dark faeries'.

Also, LUCAS is a Scots Gaelic name. What does it mean in English? LUKE.

So Lucas literally means Luke. Whether GL knows this or not I don't know but it's a cool coincidence if he didn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.