main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

'NAME THE FAN FILM BOOK' CONTEST WINNER!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Dolt, Sep 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dolt

Dolt Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2004
    ?Hey,? you say. ?Whatever happened to that 'Name the fan film book' title contest? You know, the one where the author wanted someone to come up with a better subtitle to his upcoming book about fan films, and in return, they?d get a free copy when it comes out, plus their name in the acknowledgements for all eternity. That contest ended on Labor Day--shouldn?t there be a winner by now??

Well, it just so happens there IS a winner. I wanted to clear the new title with the publisher before announcing it?and now the book has a new name. In fact, he wrote back, ?Good call on the subtitle--I've taken a quick straw poll of colleagues here, and we're in favor of it.?

The old title was Homemade Hollywood: The Fan Film Phenomenon--which didn?t really say anything. I like the ?Homemade Hollywood? part, but the subtitle is cheesy, and if you don?t know what a fan film is--which most people don?t--you might think it was about psycho fans. So I wanted something that was clearer as to what the book was about, maybe a little more playful to match the tone inside, and of course, most importantly, cooler.

I?m very happy to announce then that Bryan Patrick Stoyle--AKA StoyBoy720 on the TFN Fan Film forum--has won with the simple yet elegant Homemade Hollywood: Fans Behind The Camera. Bryan gets all the winnings mentioned above, plus bragging rights that he named a book and is therefore smarter than the guy who wrote the thing.

There wasn?t a second place, but if there was, it?d have to go to TFN Fan Film forum moderator Adam Bertocci, who submitted a record 43 titles, most of which were excellent, like ?From Unauthorized Knockoffs to Unbelievable Knockouts? and ?Make Your Own Damn Sequel.?

Thanks to the tons of you who wrote in with suggestions--after working so hard to name the book, I hope you?ll be as intrigued to pick it up next year! In the meantime, if you want to know how the book is coming along--yeah, I?m still writing--you can follow its progress on its MySpace page (www.myspace.com/fanfilmbook).

Thanks again to everyone who wrote in, and congratulations to Bryan!
    Clive

2. PaJedi

PaJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 9, 2005
    Sounds cool. let us know when this book is published so I can go buy a copy. If you need interviews from people who are working on Threads of Destiny, I can get your questions to the director and the project manager *me*.

3. StoyBoy720

StoyBoy720 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    I won! Yay! :)

I'm glad you liked the title.

It's nice to know that even when your own fan film fails to be completed you can still make a contribution somehow. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.