Rocky M, NC Name Your Character (For Movie Folks)

Discussion in 'South East Regional Discussion' started by joe-da, May 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe-da Jedi Padawan

star 4
    When I wrote "The Barrows Man" script, I used "generic" placeholder names, as I always do. There is no great significance to these names, as I was concentrating on the story.

These are the current names matched up with those that have expressed interest in participating, including those from the "Bonfire" scene (which is at the very end of the script, by the way... several months after the events from the rest of the film) and others who have said they wanted to be in it.

Please suggest a name if you think yours sounds "odd" or you want to change it for whatever reason (ex: you are mortal enemies with someone of your character's name and you hate hearing it, etc.).

Please let me know if you're listed on here and don't want to be in it. (I was working on the knowledge I had at the time; using prior footage; people change their minds, etc.) It's still not set in stone - everyone must live their own destiny - but I'd kind of like to know in case I have to search for another person.

Please let me know if your name is not on the list (it's not a "complete" list, by the way) and you do want to be in the movie. It may be an oversight (as I copied and pasted) or you've just never spoken out before one way or the other.

(** There are other characters in the film, but I have those roles filled - I think.... will get a definite on that soon - as definite as anything is in this business....)

Here is goes:
    (these 5 were also in the bonfire scene)
    JediRiff: Sam
    FettFan: John
    FettFan's Honey (she was in the bonfire scene, and there is more room for her, as (you guessed it...) "John's" honey - and yes, it's a good role): Sara
    Lodreh: Frank
    Entropy: Paul

Hawthor: Ralph (nickname "Ringworm" - if requested, please substitute another negative, derrogatory nickname... as some characters are pissed at him, but have called him this for years)

Eddie-Wan: Jim (not a large role in minutes... but at the end....)
    Mordtat/Akaria: Landon (pretty sure this one needs to be changed... but I kind of wanted a non-dark name for a very dark character...)
    Shindo Windu: Scott (this one is an in-joke, since it's a werewolf-type character, a subtle Teen Wolf nod... oh well..)
    AutoJoe/Stormtrooper Salad/Stormtrooper (some number): Bob

Note: I still need an "Eddie" for a short part... walks in to a gathering, gets offed shortly thereafter, but his appearance is crucial to building some tension as he knocks on the door and...)

And in case my tentative "female Oak St. resident" actress falls through (through, not "out"), then I still need "female Oak St. resident"... not a large part, but instrumental to introducing us to the villains' lair and how they treat others...

Let me know...

COBRAAAAAAAAA (wait, wrong thread, wrong board...)

*** There's more to tell, of course, but just not in an "internet forum." Our next meeting.... in person.
  2. FettFan5150 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    joe-da honey's name should not be Sara, It shall be Melissa.
  3. eddie-wan-kenobi Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Jim is fine with me Joe. I kinda like your description. Short part at the end of film. Hmmm, kinda like a certain character in Ep III. Mesa like dat! :D
  4. Entropy Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I once had a roommate named Paul. He was an overbearing, obnoxious, drunk. Is this character anything like that? :)
  5. joe-da Jedi Padawan

star 4
    So, Fett, we'll stick with Melissa, but I figured no one would want their "real" name used.... of course, I have seen movies where someone's character has the same name as the actor. (for example, JACK Nicholson plays JACK Torance/Torrance(?) in Kubrick's The Shining...
    And I called her "FettFan's Honey" because she doesn't have a board "handle"/"nickname"....

Eddie-Wan, you have a scene early-to-mid-way in... a little bit later you give others an unpleasant visit, and at the verrryy end.. well, you're part of the required "shock ending."

Entropy, your character is not particularly "overbearing, obnoxious, drunk", but there is more to the character (as revealed in the scene with Scott the werewolf) than it seems at first. It's difficult to describe, without explaining everything. "Paul" is seen (by the other characters) as one who knows a lot about supernatural stuff, but the first part of your intro (before Riff visits to seek info) leads the viewer to realize that he's making that up as he goes. He gives Riff/Sam an unusual welcome and the werewolf intro scene is definitely one of the most memorable scenes...
  6. eddie-wan-kenobi Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Damn Joe I LIKE THAT!!! Again, that sounds VERY similar to you-know-who!! :D :D :D
  7. joe-da Jedi Padawan

star 4
  8. eddie-wan-kenobi Jedi Padawan

star 4
    /cracking knuckles in preperation for another Force choke
  9. joe-da Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Jar Jar will always be my hero... well, maybe "hero" is not the right word...
  10. Lodreh Jedi Master

star 4
    Frank?... how about Michael?

Lod-Reh SaJon ~
    "If you seek knowledge and understanding look to the Force. If you seek pain and suffering look no further than me."
  11. joe-da Jedi Padawan

star 4
    granted...

if all wishes were that easy, then DAWN!!!!!!!... sigh...
  12. JediRiff Jedi Knight

star 5
    Sam is fine for me.... and Fettfan beat me to the Sara thing. I was also going to suggest that not being the best of ideas. Anywho, give me some info on my character Sams.... character. Whats he like, so I will know how to behave>?
  13. Entropy Jedi Padawan

star 4
    So he lies a lot? Cool. Several names come to mind when I think of habitual liars.
  14. eddie-wan-kenobi Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Lets see, Sam use to be a pitcher for the Red Sox but is now the owner/bartender for a nice little pub in Boston. Seems to always have relationships with the women who work there, except for the waitress who is married to Danny Devito.

/snaps out of it

Oh, sorry. Had an 80's flashback there.
  15. JediRiff Jedi Knight

star 5
    But hey, everyone would know your name!
  16. eddie-wan-kenobi Jedi Padawan

star 4
  17. JediRiff Jedi Knight

star 5
  18. joe-da Jedi Padawan

star 4
    The film begins with Sam. As for his character, he's not that much different than you, Riff. He does have some unpleasant encounters, real and imagined (no 80-year-old woman in the tub, though) which make him question the reality in the film. At the end, he has a choice to make that affects everyone. But then he basically says to hell with it and does an apparently rash action, which was the correct solution after all...
  19. JediRiff Jedi Knight

star 5
    Sounds very interesting.... when do we all start getting scripts? :)
  20. joe-da Jedi Padawan

star 4
    whenever the foof we meet again...
  21. JediRiff Jedi Knight

star 5
    Well, I am working on it, wampa fella! :)
  22. joe-da Jedi Padawan

star 4
    groovy

and FettFan, you never said whether "John" is OK or not..
  23. JediRiff Jedi Knight

star 5
    No comment about it, probably means he is ok with it.
  24. joe-da Jedi Padawan

star 4
    or he was focused on the other...
  25. JediRiff Jedi Knight

star 5
    See my last comment for the most likely answer padawan.... ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.