main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Nameless--A Myn/Lara vignette mid-Solo Command--Vignette 71

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DarthIshtar, May 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Note: This is during the "mutiny of anonymity."
    "You know Flight Officer Notsil, right?"

Lara hid a smile behind her drink and even by the time she lowered her mug, she hadn't mustered the courage to make it disappear.

"I think so," she replied. "I'm told that she bears a striking resemblance to me."

"Except she's got an isignia and you've got a prettier smile," he countered.

That made her smile widen and her blush reflex kick in. It was hard to hate him for accomplishing that, but she nearly succeeded.

"But you turn the same fetching shade of red," he concluded with a grin of his own.

"Fetching," she repeated, smile shrinking. "I don't think that's the word for it at all."

She didn't want to be fetching or pretty or anything at all to this man. She wanted him to forget that she had ever crossed his mind.

"But you do know her, one-who-looks-like-Lara, right?"

"I think so sometimes," she granted carefully.

He nodded thoughtfully, taking a sip of his own drink. "I've been wondering something for a while."

"Green," she answered automatically.

It was an automatic deflection, a way to keep his questions under control so she wouldn't have to second-guess herself. Usually it worked.

Not with someone as honest as Myn.

His brow furrowed. "You didn't even wait for the question."

"Well," she replied with a shrug, "most men she's dated will ask what color she would choose if she dyed my hair."

"She hasn't dated many pilots," he laughed.

She hated how much it pleased her to make him laugh.

"Most of the pilots ask her what her X-wing's serial number is," she retorted.

She hated the way he made her smile.

"I'm not interested in something like that," he assured her.

"Then, what was your question?" she asked, forcing herself to stop smiling.

She made the mistake of taking another drink as he asked, "What are the twelve words she could say that would make Myn Donos walk away from her?"

She nearly choked. It was certainly a temptation, but instead, she held the lum in her mouth for a long moment as if it could burn away the answer that she could never give.

"That is none of Myn's business," she said once she had swallowed.

"That's what she'd like to think," he teased.

She hated that she wasn't joking about this.

"You told me," she snapped, "that I didn't have to say them."

"That she didn't..." he corrected.

"It doesn't matter," she interrupted shrilly. "You have no business wanting to know!"

His hand wrapped around hers, pulling her so close that his breath trembled against her ear as he attempted to calm her. The proximity only made it ten times worse. Lara, however, wouldn't have pulled away when Gara would. Lara would have taken comfort from the man who had decided to love her for reasons that she would never understand.

"I don't have to," he assured her. "I shouldn't have asked, but I wanted to."

She hated him for being so honest.

"Here are twelve words," she keened. "I've done things that you couldn't forgive, no matter who I was."

She didn't have to hate herself for that because there was nothing to hate about telling the truth.

She hated herself all the more anyway for having to turn it into a lie.

2. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    that was great Ish!

You caught the characters prefectly!

Great job!

3. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    That was great, Ish. Loved the final line, too. Both Myn and Lara were captured perfectly.

4. InyriForge

InyriForge Jedi Master star 5

Jan 24, 2002
    *bounces*

Myn/Lara! Myn/Lara! Myn/Lara! Hooray!

That was just the little fix I needed!

5. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Kidan--Thanks! I love these two characters and it took a bit of work to get them to sound the way I pictured.

RK_Striker_JK_5--Glad you liked the last line. I liked using the recurring theme.

InyriForge--LOL, thanks. I read Solo Command, my favorite of the X-wing books on the bus down today, so naturally I had this plot bunny.

6. padawanlissa

padawanlissa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I love that=D=

7. TheCrazyRodian

TheCrazyRodian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2004
    Dude... Ish... you're like, amazing. Myn/Lara = oh so tragically underwritten, and this is them to a T! Or to an M. Or whatever.

Very well done!

8. Mirax_Corran

Mirax_Corran Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    I second Ri. There isn't enough good Myn/Lara out there. Geez, there isn't enough out there period!

9. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    sweet, and well done. I like how you took that dangling comment from the books and made Myn actually ask...

10. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I always wondered what those twelve words would be. My theory is they were "My real name is Gara Petothel and my information killed Talon Squadron." Thanks!

I wish I saw more Myn/Lara and may start writing some just to satisfy myself. Thanks!

Why, thank you, TCR. :) LOL, it was fun thinking of ways that she could avoid breaking his heart.

Thanks, lissa!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.