JCC Names they don't call kids any more.

Discussion in 'Community' started by jp-30, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Sauntaero Force Ghost

star 4
    Has Svetlana really gone out of use? In Eastern Europe, or just in the US?
  2. Darth_Maestro Force Ghost

star 4
    Probably a regional thing, certainly don't hear it too often out here in Southern California. Heard it once in a Joanna Newsom song and have a friend of a friend. But that's about it.
  3. Violent Violet Menace Force Ghost

star 4
  4. mavjade It's so Fluffy Fanfic & New Movies Manager

Manager
    star 5
    I am, and she was named after her aunt, though we all different middle names. For all the creativity in my family, they aren't very creative with the naming. ;)
  5. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    That's really sweet!

Svetlana is probably a regional thing .. and I think Leonard could make a comeback (Big Bang Theory).
  6. EmpireForever Chosen One

star 8
    My father is named after his uncle; my uncle is named after his grandfather; I'm named after my uncle; my brother is named after his maternal grandfather. My middle name is a nickname of my father's; my younger brother's middle name is my father's first name; my older brother's middle name is his grandfather's first name, which he shares with his father; my uncle's middle name is his uncle's name.
  7. MrZAP Force Ghost

star 5
    My sister's name is an amalgamation of both of my grandfather's names...

As for my name, my parents just thought it was nice. But my middle name is my mother's maiden name.
  8. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
  9. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
  10. harpua Chosen One

star 8
  11. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I have a family friend who just last year named their boy Randall and call him Randy.
  12. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
  13. Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost

star 4
    Whenever I read that name, I always read it to myself in the following voice:
    Rrraaannndddyyy!
    JediFalcon likes this.
  14. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    In the book I'm working on, the main characters are two sisters with very Irish names--Maeve and Aislin. Aislin bonds with the love interest, Nathaniel, because they are both saddled with perfectly nice parents with very traditional naming conventions. There are certain ways to find more old-fashioned names. 1) Be a celebrity baby. 2) Live in a state like Massachusetts, where you have girls named Martha because it's a saint's name or Tabitha because it was the name of one of their pilgrim ancestors. 3) Live in a state like Utah where everyone wants to give their kid Biblical names or pioneer names. Except in Utah, they have to spell them weirdly because otherwise how will your kid Giosyf be told apart from Joseph Jozef and Josif?

My name is pretty traditional--my parents were reading Wuthering Heights and decided to name a daughter after Catherine.
  15. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    Probably in the US, but it's still pretty common in the Slavic countries (being, you know, an original Slavic name). One of my high school classmates is called Svetlana. Although it's probably not as common as it used to be...
    Last edited by Mar17swgirl, Sep 26, 2012
  16. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
  17. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
  18. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
  19. MrZAP Force Ghost

star 5
    What are you talking about? I know like five people named that.
  20. Obi-Zahn Kenobi Chosen One

star 7
    It's always been a fantasy of mine to have twin sons and name them "Peter Romulus" and "Paul Remus" as middle and first names.
  21. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Your fantasies need work.
    Healer_Leona likes this.