main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

?Naming and Jedi? 2

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Stamper007, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stamper007

Stamper007 Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2004
    I?m currently looking for a fitting character name for one of the main Jedi characters in my story. More specifically, this character is a relatively young General in the Clone Wars who has personally trained and commands his own regiment of Clonetroopers. He is wise, insightful, and very skilled with a lightsaber. His persona is particularly merciful and lustful.

By fate, this character is mortally wounded by another character manipulated by the Dark Side, a character that he ultimately falls in love with.

I?m looking for a decent name for this character. What I?m shooting for is the name of a lesser-known mythological, historical, ancient or modern warrior, general, or respected leader. Like I said, ?lesser-known,? so I?m not looking for Achilles, etc. It could be an ancient Egyptian deity, a Samurai, or a present commander of some country?s armed forces. Doesn?t really matter, I?m up for anything.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. Uldir_Fenn

Uldir_Fenn Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 11, 2004
    What about Kenji?

3. Stamper007

Mar 22, 2004
    I know I said Samurai before, but now that I think about it, I think I'm going for something a little less Asian. This particular character is far from Asian, unlike half of the characters in my tale haha.

4. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Ancient Egyptian kings? *looks at list in archeology book* Here are a few really ancient ones which are not well known.

Djoser
    Chephren
    Bicheris
    Userkaf
    Asosi
    Osorkon

5. AramysStrael

AramysStrael Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2004
    I have a suggestion.... something to consider. Take someone from history and change up their name a bit and there you go.

Let me illustrate. Charlemagne was a French ruler who united a lot of his country and established the main church there in France (if my history serves me right). I named the ancestor of my main character, Aramys Strael, Targemagne. So why not do something like that?

6. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan

Happy_Hobbit_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Here's a site with a listing of names from mythology: Behind the Name site

And then this page on that site, on the right side, has links separating mythology by location as well as ancient names by location (not just mythological).

I love the names of the Slavic mythology - Byelbog, Dazbog, Svarog. They sorta roll off the tongue, don't they? :p

7. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    ALCIBIADES! (General in the Greek army who would have won a war, had he not been called back on erronious charges)
    Enkidu (man-beast who lives among the livestock and is "civilized" by a harlot, then goes to be the companion of...
    Gilgamesh (epic hero)
    Bedivere (the last knight of camelot, who is tested three times by Arthur to prove his valor and loyalty)

8. Stamper007

Mar 22, 2004
    This is a tough one. I now know what I want my character?s last name to be: Jade (unrelated to Mara Jade, but a very suiting name to a character in my story). However, I still need a name that roles with Jade, and out of all the suggestions so far, ?Bicheris? is the only one that vaguely clicks in my mind.

I ran through most of the lists presented to me and all I came up with was the following weak list of names and I have no idea what to do with any of them:

Raidon or Raiden (Far Eastern)
    Karan (Hindu)
    Tyr (Norse)
    Orion (Greek)
    Proteus (Greek)
    Ra or Re (Egyptian)
    Adriaan (Dutch)
    Dung (Viet)
    Yen (Viet)

Out of all the names I have come across, the ones that sound the best with Jade have three syllables in them: ?Icarus, Bicheris, Orion, Proteus, Adriaan. Maybe that?s something to keep in mind?

Anyone have anymore ideas?

9. Stamper007

Mar 22, 2004
    Since few have any ideas, I think I will go with one of the following (feel free to give me opinion and feedback):

Icarus Jade

Adriaan Jade

(Subject to spelling changes - Icarus is commonly spelled Ikaros as well)

10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Wait, wait, I've been gone for a while but I've just got back (I got your e-mail, too, which I'll get back to you on soon :)). Give me tomorrow to come up with some names. I like doing it. You wouldn't deprive a linguist of her hobby now, would you? :p

-sj loves kevin spacey

11. Stamper007

Mar 22, 2004
    Haha, welcome back solojones! I can't wait to hear back from you!

I sat down to talk with some of my friends last night and we got a little desperate and started making up some names to go with Jade. Here are a few things we came up with:

Terek Jade

Terran Jade

Daemian Jade

12. JarJar146

JarJar146 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2004
    I respectfully suggest these names for use:
    - Kal'dier Manf
    - Allie Zsa'eldt
    - Co'uletan Trespon

I also think it would be neat to have this character originate from Iridonia, or Agamar.

I respect your will to write, and am currently writing a short story myself, starrin Mace Windu.

Best of Luck!

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Do you have the list I proposed before for this character, Stamper?

BARAN- (Gaelic for warrior)
    BATAIR- (Gaelic for strong warrior)
    ENAR- (Swedish for warrior)
    KALEN, KAILEN, KALAN, KALLAN, KHEELAN, KELLEN- (all forms of the same name for warrior in Irish Gaelic)
    BEORN- (anglo-saxon for warrior)
    DRENG- (anglo-saxon for warrior)

Some ideas from real-life hero/warrior types:

Simon Bolivar (pronounced See-moan Bowl-ee-var, Spanish) is known as the liberator of South America for all he accomplished with his revolutions there in the late 1800s. Some variation on that might work.

If you're looking for a kind of Asian name to keep with that tradition of Jedi names, I would suggest looking at the names of The Seven Samurai. That's a link to the page for the film on IMDB. They have some good names which might be really cool to work into your story.

-sj loves kevin spacey

14. TurnedJedi

TurnedJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 7, 2002
    Just a quick remark to solojones. Enar is not swedish for warrior. I should know, I'm a swede. I don't mean any disrespect and I hope you do not take it the wrong way.

Still pals? ;)

Any way, warrior in swedish is Krigare.

15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    NO! I shall never forgive you! ;)

I never meant to insinuate that it's the Swedish word for 'warrior', just that it's a Swedish name meaning warrior. This is what my information tells me, anyway. My name, for instance, is a Hebrew word meaning 'lamb', but it's not the actual word someone says in Hebrew when they want to refer to a baby sheep. Languages change especially in regard to names, if you catch my meaning.

Anyway, where's Stamper? :( I tried e-mailing and got no reply either...

-sj loves kevin spacey

16. Jedi_Kray

Jedi_Kray Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 7, 2003
    Hello,
    I'm new here, names Jaderian Kray (Jedi_Kray) Well I simpothize with you on your prob since I am in the same boat as a contracted writer myself. So Here are a few solections. My latest books char. names are, Aryon, Kain, Atten, Menna(male) Brittni, Lillian, Danucia(female) Also a few good names are Phayden (fay-den),Darian,Ergon,Malek,Koga,Vash. Well That is all I can come up with now. Sorry!!;)

Jaderian Kray.....

17. Jedi_Kray

Jedi_Kray Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 7, 2003
    You could also work with Quill, Serinda, Sereen, Balah, Shah, Llalana, Sckid, Leena, Raleena, Krysia, Aswan, Nureddin, Forta, Fawor, Gwara, Arax and Probat.
    I hope these helped you some!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.