[NaNo] National Novel Writing Month 2011- Over for another year.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade, Oct 3, 2011.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. mavjade It's so Fluffy Fanfic & New Movies Manager

Manager
    star 5
    As we inch closer to the end of 2011 and look forward to holidays and new beginnings we remember there is still insanity to be had in this year. Yes, ladies and gentlemen it's time to stretch your wrists and fingers, buy a new flash drive or new pens and notebooks, stock up on caffeinated beverages and snacks because you are about to write 50,000 words in 30 days! Welcome to:

National Novel Writing Month!

If you are wondering what the heck you just stumbled upon in this thread read on. If you are an old hand at the lunacy then feel free to skip to the bottom for discussion, fun facts, etc.!

What is NaNoWriMo?
    In its most basic definition NaNo is writing a 50,000 word novel in the 30 days of November. Many people get much more out of it, some people don't, it's really up to you what NaNo is about. If you've always wanted to write a novel but never got around to it, this is your chance. You'll be doing it along with thousands of other crazy people, so don't worry about being alone in your insanity!

NaNo is not about writing the next best seller (though it has been known to happen) or writing the perfect story, it's all about the writing. Repeat after me: "It's all about the writing."

You will write some utter crap so turn your inner editor off now or it's going to be a long month, but in writing impetuously you may find that giving yourself the freedom to just write, without worry, results in some truly amazing prose!

How do I participate?

You go to the NaNo website and sign up. Don't be alarmed if it takes a while for the site to load, it tends to be a little busy this time of year. Then starting at midnight November 1st (and no sooner!) write your heart out! You can write in a notebook, on your computer, heck, you could write on your walls, just as long as you don't write the same word over and over again!

Don't forget to check out the official How NaNo Works and What is NaNo? pages.

I've signed up, what do I do now?

Well, you can start outlining your story, make your characters, do some research (but remember, no actual writing until November 1st!) or if your more of a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants kind of writer you can check out the Forums at the official NaNo site and discuss pretty much anything with your fellow Wrimos! (The site usually resets on the 1st of October but it's going to be October 10th this year so anything you post in the forums before the 10th will be gone after, but until then it's still interesting to look around!)

What Do I Get If I Win?

Absolutely Nothing!!

But seriously, you get to know you wrote a novel in 30 days. How many people can say that? Even if you don't make it to 50,000 words you've done more than the majority of people in this world will ever do! They also make some shiny web badges so you can show off to the the internet how awesome you are! There are also a few companies that give you discounts or something free when you win so I guess technically you could win something!

If you've read this far and decided this isn't for you, just remember you'll never make it if you don't even attempt it. Many people don't make it to 50,000 words but there's still a lot of adventure and fun along the way!

Still not convinced? Feel free to keep tabs on this thread and cheer on those who are participating. We will take all the cheering (and caffeine) we can get!

So you've decided to tackle the challenge?

Great! We are glad to have inducted you into the insanity... er, um... Welcome Aboard!!

If you are planning on participating this year, post in this thread and if you use a different screen name at the NaNo site let us know that as well so we can find you and make you a writing buddy. Once NaNo starts keep us up to date on your progress and it will be shown beside your name on the part/>
  2. mavjade It's so Fluffy Fanfic & New Movies Manager

Manager
    star 5
    Participants List
    Anyone who has written for this year is bolded, winners! are in teal.

AricaBolts: 33,596
    Arin_Atona: 3,275
    AvenKiel
    Cade_Cryocharger: ~5,000
    Ceillean: 4,434
    CelseteAntola: 7,589
    Chilla: 50,102
    Comander_DWH: 50,325
    Corellian_Ale
    DarthIshar: ~5,000
    Darth_MU
    DaenaBenjen42: 5,316
    divapilot: 173
    Draconarius: 18,702
    earlybird-obi-wan: 57,709
    emerald54: 52,372
    Earwen_Lightrider (NataLekku): 16,602
    FelsGoddess: 50,005
    ginchy: 50,856
    Goodwood: 40,300
    Iverna: 56,650
    JediMara77: 70,393
    jedi_of_ennth (ennta)
    KEILA: 52,530
    Kestrel_Kenobi: 15,129
    Laj_Fett: 51,022
    LillyHobbitJedi(LilyCat03)
    Luna_Nightshade: 12,268
    Master_Jaina1011: 4,742
    mavjade: ~34,000
    Merlyn_Gabriel
    moosemouse: 50,027
    MsLanna/Etain: 5,483
    Raphire: 1,441
    rebel_cheese
    Sauntaero: 12,004
    SoA: 56,916
    spycoder9: 4,005
    TheMacUnleashed: 50,073
    Thumper09
    tjace: 15,223
    TrakNar: 11,683
  3. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    I've been doing this for a few years now, this year will be my 5th year in a row. Advice for newbs? Well, I think the biggest bit of advice I can give is to relax and do things at your own pace. While it is important to keep an average of 1,667 words a day, it is just an average. Always go for more if you can but don't worry about not getting that on the odd day or few. The most important word count is the one at the end of the month and not any of them in between.

Also, have fun! It's a huge challenge but it's meant to be fun!

Lastly, Carpe Nocturn.
  4. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    I'll probably do it again. Have no idea what my story will be yet. I'm leaning toward horror or crime - something with buckets of blood..

If some of our icon makers want to make a few icons for it, we'll get them loaded.
  5. JediMara77 Force Ghost

star 4
    I think I'll try again. If anything, I get get a good bulk of Part 3 of my trilogy finished.
  6. Master_Jaina1011 Force Ghost

star 4
    Hmmmm... I start a new job on the 24th of this month so I honestly have no idea. I have an idea and it might take me till November to really write it.
  7. mavjade It's so Fluffy Fanfic & New Movies Manager

Manager
    star 5
    I just want to emphasize that 19 people from fanfic won last year! I thought that was completely amazing!! :D

Nat and I have been talking icons and the dateless ones from previous years should be up sometime this week. Once the official site resets on the 10th and we get the new images for this year, anyone that wants to make some new ones will get giant hugs and e-cookies! :)

Anyway...
    This is my fifth year participating, last year being the first time I won. I'm really excited for this year because I've moved to a city where writeins are done! :D

My advice is to write whenever you have the chance and don't worry about what you are writing, that can always come later. Also, do your best not to get too far behind because come the end of the month your wrists will be very sore if you write way too much in one day. (I learned that the hard way last year)
    I also would like to recommend Chris Baty's book No Plot, No Problem. It's very inspirational, especially if you have no idea what to write and very motivating!

I'm in the same boat. I kinda have an extremely vague idea about space but it's pretty standard Sci-fi which I don't particularly want to do. Oh well, something will come to me or I'll just start writing and see what happens!
  8. Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I am wrestling with my Saga epic. Don't know if it'll actually successfully pull off 50,000 words... but I'll certainly be plugging away at it in the evenings and will happily join for all the group encouragement I can get. :p
  9. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    Author Chuck Wendig is currently doing a blog series on NaNo. I'm not going to link to his blog as it is littered with language definitely not allowed here, but a Google search on his name will bring it up. (I didn't see any adult-rated images, just bad language).
  10. MsLanna Force Ghost

star 6
    I'll probably join again. Not taht I have the slightest what to do yet. I'll get there. Last year I started like that and ended witha 30 item song list, one as inspiration for each chapter which worked rather well.

I partook three times (I think) and won twice.
    Meaning I now have two drafts I keep intending to edit into something sensible. :oops:

11. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
  12. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    I will do this again.

The prequel - a series of vignettes - is already on the boards Spider moments for the Shakespeare roulette challenge

and the sequel Reunion

and Reunion pt 3 has been my 2010 Nano entry

Mav edit: Links removed. This isn't the right thread to link to stories.
  13. JediMara77 Force Ghost

star 4
    Oh, I should probably answer the dicussion questions. :p

I did Nano for the first time last year, and won. My fic I, Mara Jade was posted on the boards.

I decided to join Nano because I had just gotten into writing fanfic, and wanted to see if I could actually write 50k words in 30 days. Well, as I found out, I could write a whole lot more. [face_laugh] I think it was Nano that made me realize that I can write really fast. Now, if I can just come up with some ideas for original fiction...

Advice for noobies: do all your planning beforehand, and once you get to November, just write. It's harder to do than it sounds. I'm an editor by trade and am always trying to make my words sound pretty. But I've trained myself that for the first draft, I just need to get the words on paper. When it's time to edit, then I take my time and fix everything.
  14. mavjade It's so Fluffy Fanfic & New Movies Manager

Manager
    star 5
    Participants list updated.

I looked at that blog Laj, and I couldn't tell if likes NaNo or hates it! 8-} I find it interesting how polarizing NaNo is; it seems to people who don't like it really hate it and are very vocal about it. In my opinion if you don't like it there are much better things to get all worked up about, like millions of people in this world not having clean water to drink or food to eat. Of course the people who do NaNo are a good cause, getting creative writing into schools.

*steps off soap box*

Thanks for the links, moose. I had seen those just the other day and didn't even think about sharing them.
    A site I always find helpful is babynames.com. You can search for names by gender, nationality, letter, meaning, syllables. I find it very useful to at least give me name ideas. They have a section with tips for writers on naming your characters.
  15. Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I will sign up again this year - and probably not even come close again... which is fine by me! :p

No seriously, I have been hit with writer's block severely for the past 3 months, and I need to force myself to do this.

This will be my 5th year competing, and I hope to at least make the half way point this time.

You won't find a sounder piece of advise anywhere... planning, research, etc. get it done now. Once November comes, nothing kills momentum like having to "look something up", or a "I hadn't thought about how X affects Y".

P.S. Suffering from a brain fart, does anyone know it Nano's OS resets the word count once November comes? Mine still shows last years word count and wont let me edit it for this year's project.
  16. emerald54 Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    This is my second year of participating, and I've actually taken the time to outline and decide what I'm going to do beforehand. I started researching only a week ago, but I've got a pretty clear idea of what I want to do with my Beyond story.

I won last year, but unfortunately, by the time December rolled around, I absolutely hated the 'verse I was writing in, to say nothing about how I haven't touched my novel since verification. If there's any advice I'd give it's to pick something you'll enjoy. NaNo is meant to be fun, not a chore.

Eh, I hate sounding preachy.

Has anyone else tried the Scriviner beta that the Nano site posted?
  17. Etain Jedi Knight

star 3
    Relaunch of the site is in a bit.The word counts should be back at zero after that.
  18. Goodwood Force Ghost

star 4
    I've written novel-length stories in less than thirty days before, at least once (possibly twice depending on whether or not two novellas -- in the same story arc -- smashed together count as a novel).

So yeah, this looks interesting. Maybe something disconnected from any of my previous efforts.

Mush, angst, and other clich├ęs need not apply.

---

Edit: I've signed up to the site and filled out the bio. Username: Goodwood.
  19. mavjade It's so Fluffy Fanfic & New Movies Manager

Manager
    star 5
    Participants list updated.

Usually it resets on the October 1st but they have a new person doing their tech and I think they completely redesigned the site so they are relaunching on October 10th. After that all word counts and forum messages will completely reset.

I used a trial version two years ago and loved it, I promised myself I would buy it if I won and I didn't that year. I used the NaNo trial version last year and still loved it and made myself the same promise so when I won I bought it (they give you a code to buy it half off when you win NaNo). It takes a little getting used to but once you do it's pretty awesome.
    I'd recommend using the NaNo trial before buying but I do really like it. FIY, I use the Mac version, I have no idea about the Windows version that just came out last year.
  20. Jade_Max Force Ghost

star 5
    Participated for the first time last year - so doing it again this year! Sign me up :D
  21. emerald54 Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    I'm using the Windows version, and while they say it'll be out around Nano, I haven't seen any definitive date. Also, yes, very awesome.

Are they just resetting the site, or is it some sort of massive overhaul?
  22. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    Anyone who's done it before knows about the huge server problems that happen around the end of October and the beginning of November. The problem wasn't the number of servers but the software infrastructure the website runs on. What they've done this year is to completely redesign the entire system, not just web site but the back end workings too. It's one epic huge upgrade and hopefully it'll be able to cope with the demand this year. It's why it's not going to be live until the 10th, because they want it to be fully functional and 100% working rather than rushing it out for the 1st and spend a lot of time fixing bugs and problems.
  23. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    For those new to this - they clear out the forums and do the word count resets every year. And every year they try to beef things up so the servers don't crash under the load. And so far every year the load has won. So don't be surprised if things are very slow the first few days. If you don't already have a user id there you might want to create it before the reset.
  24. Goodwood Force Ghost

star 4
    The only point of confusion that I have right now is this -- where the heck are we supposed to post our writings so that the site can count our words? Yes, it's a n00b question and no, I'm not ashamed to ask. ;) :p
  25. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    Until the 25th it's taken on honour that you'll tell the truth about your word count and you just enter it into the word count box. After the 25th you can verify your word count and a bigger box will appear where you paste the entire thing to be counted by the site's word counting thingumy. It doesn't save any of your novel nor does it appear anywhere on the site. Both of these are on the 'Edit Novel Info' page.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade