main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[NaNo] National Novel Writing Month 2011- Over for another year.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I've put up about a dozen old NaNo icons if anyone wants one :) Once the site resets and the images are updated, I'll get more up. Moose, if you want to make them again, I'd love it; if you're pressed for time, I'll take care of it :)

2. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I've put up about a dozen old NaNo icons if anyone wants one :) Once the site resets and the images are updated, I'll get more up. Moose, if you want to make them again, I'd love it; if you're pressed for time, I'll take care of it :)

3. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I'm thinking non-Star Wars for the NaNo, but it will definitely be either science fiction or modern-world fantasy (perhaps a mix of both).

Thoughts?

4. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I say go for it. Hell, I have some non-SW stuff lying around that you may have some use for. Not as if I'm doing anything with it, at the moment.

And no, I'm not signing up. It took me a year to write a novella, and that was a fluke. My muse abandoned me, and it won't be back until NaNo is all said and done, I can assure you that.

5. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I'll do them within a week or so of the new site going live. :)

I say go for it.

6. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Awesome, thanks!!

7. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    The obligatory first question: How many years have you participated in NaNo? Have you won? If so (or even if you haven't won) what is your advice for the noobies? If this is your first year, what made you decided to join?

I participated last year and won. Be flexible. The story will change as you write it. Just roll with it. I didn't do any planning last year and was fine, but research would be important in a period piece (for example). If you get stuck, reread. I kept the updated story file in my email so I could read over it on the iPod when I was away from the computer. Reading over what you've written can help inspiration or ideas flow. It also helps with plot holes. Lastly, don't become obsessed with the word count.

8. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I really am conflicted over whether or not I should do Nano this year. I guess it depends on whether I get successfully going on my intended project before then.

9. Raxacoricofallapatorius

Raxacoricofallapatorius Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 20, 2010
    [face_thinking] I guess I'll try this. I've never done a novel but this will probably get me in gear.

10. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Does it have to be Star Wars fanfiction?

11. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Nope! It doesn't have to have any thing to do with Star Wars, unless you want it to. In fact, I'm pretty sure most of us do original fiction. The nice thing about NaNo is you can write anything you want even if it's technically not according to the 'rules'.

We have a thread here because it has to do with writing, quite a few people like to get involved (some do write fanfic for it) and it's fun and encouraging to have a community here to do this with.

12. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Well then

<General Chang> Once More Onto the Breach </General Chang>

I'll participate this year then. I'm thinking of doing two novels this time around.

One of Star Wars Fanfic and One Original Sci Fi novel. That is to say, I'll write them concurrently, but only the Original SciFi novel will count toward my word count.

100,000 words here I come.

You can track my progress with nano username darth_mu

[face_praying]

13. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I agree with what mavjade said about having a thread here. This is the only writing forum I'm on and I have some friends here, so having a thread about NaNoWriMo is great as it means I can chat/rant about how well/badly I'm doing and see how my friends are getting on. It's also nice to share things with other writers and get feedback too.

14. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    I'm going to give it another shot this year, hopefully I'll at least get close this time. I only hit about 12000 last year.

15. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    Those are the brilliantest words ever!! I don't know if I'll be able to use them, but you never know when they'll come in handy...

I'm in for a third year, and hoping for my first win. I will probably cheat.* [face_shhh]

My strategy this time is to make things as complicated as humanly possible without becoming unbelievable. I do this all the time IRL, so I should maybe make use of that gift for fiction...maybe then I'll get near the goal.

*by using a story I've already started--I have to get it finished!:p

16. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    That's an interesting way to cheat, certainly -- in fact, I have something that would fit the bill perfectly. But nah, I'm not gonna go that route -- instead my entry will be a story I've been pondering for quite some time.

17. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Participants list updated!

Great and very true advice!! Things never go the way I plan them and I've learned over the years your muse will win out everytime so you might as well listen to it and not force it to go a place it doesn't want to go.

Along the same lines, if that doesn't work and you are really stuck, skip ahead and write something you know is going to happen further in the story. Maybe it won't work out in the end you might go back and later write something where you skipped over that makes the future chapter(s) not work but that is okay. It might get your flow back or you might find a way you want to go you didn't know about. Even if you decided to scrap it later on they are still words you wrote so they still count toward the word count. :)

18. BrightFeather

BrightFeather Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2005
    Y'all have fun! I won back in 2007, but that was before we got kiddos around here. :D Between the three-year-old and the baby, writing time is a thing of the past!

19. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    What's great is that because they have no direct English equivalent you get to add words by explaining what they mean.

20. Raphire

Raphire Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2008
    Huh. I didn't know this was here. I'd like to be added to the list of participants. I've done this the past year didn't finish tho and I think this year is going to be even harder for me cause of my college schedule.

But I'm still giving it a go!

21. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    I'm in! I just did Camp NaNo in August, but I'm back for more in November. I plan to finally re-write and finish some Sailor Moon fan fiction that I've had hanging over my head for something like ten years. It shall be silly and epic all at once.

22. Corellian_Ale

Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 3, 2008
    Which is waaaaaay better than epically silly!

23. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    SoA, what's Camp NaNo?

24. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Welcome to those joining in! (Participants list updated.)

Is anyone else a total dork like me and been reloading the NaNo site all day hoping they've got it up? According to their twitter (@NaNoWriMo) they are putting the finishing touches on it! :D

Nat- Camp NaNoWriMo was something they just started this year, basically it's the same thing as NaNo but in the summer. There's a separate site (though I'm pretty sure the log-ins cross over) to track your word count and do all the lovely things you do with NaNo in November. If you read the founders book No Plot? No Problem he explains NaNo can be done at any time there's just a lot more going on with it in November, such as write-ins, pep-talks, hundreds of thousands of people doing it with you, etc.

And now it's time for another...

Discussion Question: Do you prepare for Nano? Write outlines, character profiles, get pictures (or draw) of what your characters look like, etc.? Does your story already have a beginning, middle and end? Do you do all your planning on the computer, on paper or a mixture of both?

If you don't plan: do you have any idea what your going to write about? Do you just keep it all in your head or do you just write what comes out?

25. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    The last several years, I've been writing stories that I've been mulling over in my head for years, so there isn't a lot of last-minute planning for me as NaNo comes closer, other than tidying up my general outline.

Though, as I'm in the middle of it, I like to write a tight outline for each chapter as soon as I finish writing the chapter previous, so I know what I will write the next day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.