main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[NaNo] National Novel Writing Month 2011- Over for another year.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Seeing as how Gettysburg is listed and it's only an hour away, that is my new region (No York region). Hopefully I can make it to some write-ins. And hopefully, there are some nerdy fanfic writers, too. Though, the published authors I've met are their own breed of nerd as well...

2. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Nope, I'm in Salisbury, though I'm wanting to move to Portsmouth.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I haven't done any write-ins as the closest ones to me are in London and they all seem to be in the evening. I don't really feel comfortable on public transport by myself late at night. If there are any more local to me then I might go.

4. Etain

Etain Jedi Youngling star 3

May 11, 2008
    I never made a difference between writing fanfic or original for NaNo. What would be the use?
    I am more scared of those who go ahead to publish what they wrote immediately. [face_worried] Some of the stuff I wrote during NaNo is genius, but most is just a rough first draf surrounding those highlights. :oops:

I finally can think about what to do for NaNo. Presentations are done for until December. [face_dancing]
    My best friend is already planning, ploting and characterising. I do hope she gets her stuff written. It's something she plans to publish eventually and a story I cannot wait to get my hands on. *gnaaaaargh!*

5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I 100% agree! I couldn't imagine putting my name on a first draft of anything much less a NaNo first draft. 8-}

Do you participate (or plan on participating) in NaNo activities such as Write-ins or The Night of Writing Dangerously?
    Absolutely! I'm really excited to go out and meet people around here since I'm new in town and what better way than with a bunch of crazy writers! I would love to go to the Night of Writing Dangerously but it just isn't freezable at this moment. I hope to one day... maybe next year!

If so, how often? Is this something you've done before?
    As many as I can possibly go to. My region does them twice a week and if I'm still unemployed for all of November (I really hope not though!) I'll be at all of them... they're already on my Google Calender.

They do a 24-hour Satellite write-in I really hope I'll get to go to; if anything is crazier than a bunch of Wrimos getting together to write, it's a bunch of Wrimos with complete sleep deprivation! :p
    I've never lived somewhere that write-ins weren't at the very least 2 hours away and at a really inconvenient times so this will be my first. If you can't tell I'm excited! :-B

How many people have you told you are writing 50,000 words in 30 days? What were their reactions?
    Everyone who will listen. Most of them think I'm crazy (as they should) but some think it's pretty cool... those people I try and recruit to do it with me. I've been unsuccessful so far. :(
    I've said something about it on my Facebook so I guess I really have told a bunch of people.
    I find the more people I tell the better I do. Last year I told everyone at work and they all kept asking me how far along I was. I didn't want to have to tell them all I didn't make it so even when I didn't feel like it I would keep writing! ;)

6. Etain

May 11, 2008
    I ahve just thought out my naNo idea in 60 minutes. :D
    Great stuff.
    Now I can go to character profiles and threads of plot and world building. [face_dancing]

7. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I've had my plot bunny for some time, including a few basic characters besides the lead protagonist and an opening sequence.

So yeah, yay me! :p ;)

8. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    Sigh. I don't know if I'm going to participate this year- applying to law school and planning a cross-country move within the next month and a half. Even though I'm so tempted to use this NaNo to finish the NaNo I started two years ago. I know, it's not technically what I'm supposed to do- but I can't seem to get myself to write the story any other way...

9. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I wrote three paragraphs this evening, mainly because my opening hook suddenly popped into my head. But, then my description hit a wall and I stopped working on it, because if I muddle through a block, everything that comes out will be junk. I only wanted to write that opening paragraph, anyway.

10. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Shh, they'll hear you!

The NaNo committee has spies everywhere!

11. Etain

May 11, 2008
    I have an averag daily word count of 1k lately. :D
    Oka,y that's all my current WIP. I just hope I add the NaNo words to that. [face_hypnotized]
    It would be so awesome.[face_dancing]
    Otherwise - the amount wof writing altely has me four chaptes ahead of my WIP and with weekly updates that means I am well through NaNo there already and could afford to 'drop' the WIP in November.[face_blush]

12. emerald54

emerald54 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 4, 2007
    Do you participate (or plan on participating) in NaNo activities such as Write-ins or The Night of Writing Dangerously? If so, how often? Is this something you've done before? If no, why not?

I live about an hour from Seattle, and I am not stup- brave enough to risk my new car to that sort of traffic. I didn't do any write-ins last year, but I've got high hopes for this year. Unemployment isn't fun, but it leaves lots of time for writing.

How many people have you told you are writing 50,000 words in 30 days? What were their reactions?

I told my friend yesterday, who got me into the whole Nano thing, but she's got other things to do. As for my almost all of my family, they clearly thought I'd finally jumped in the deep end. My sister, whom I love a ridiculous amount at the moment, says it's just a quirk.

Wasn't there some group a while back that was into Waru? I don't remember much about it, but it had some interesting healing properties (And, yes, insanity inducing ones as well) if I'm going to be waking up without lungs or kidneys...

13. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    emerald54: don't worry, it's never as bad as that. They only take the one. :)

14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    And you can live a perfectly normal life with only one. Hope they don't mind my asthmatic lung and stone-filled kidney...

15. emerald54

emerald54 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 4, 2007
    Tell you what, you donate your stone-filled kidney, and I'll donate my pneumonia infested lungs.

That's a fair trade, right?

16. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    *pulls thread back on track* ;)

Does anyone hang out on the NaNo forums? I think I might have posted two or three times each previous year but this year I've gotten sucked in.
    It helps that my region is particularly active but I've also gotten sucked into the Reference section spouting my random knowledge of US Coal Mining in the early 1900's and medical knowledge of several different varieties. 8-}

17. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    I have not even gotten started on the forums this year, though I should. I have a really active region and want to get in on the write-ins before the halfway mark this year. Up until the very end of my project at work, when I just got too tired to make it, I was writing with my NaNo writing group through most of the year. We'll probably be back at the Denny's, though, so woo hoo, more nights of writing and endless hot chocolate!

I'm fanficcing it up this year, and being a NaNo rebel in that I just want to finish my epic. If it doesn't take 50k to get there, I'll just start writing other stuff. So I am definitely looking forward to doing that and getting it done. :D

18. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I doubt I'll ever post at the NaNo forums themselves. There are two reasons for this: first of all, I doubt I'd suddenly "get noticed" or whatnot and secondly, I am only capable of dividing my attention between two communities at a time. This is my limit for optimal efficiency; hard experience has imparted this lesson and I'd rather not lose track of the two communities which I'm in with now?those being TF.N and Star Wars Fanon.

19. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I doubt I'll become very active on the NaNo forums. Hell, I'm not much more than a lurker who posts on the forums I am active on. I don't particularly see how becoming active on the NaNo forums will help me write, anyway. It's hard to bounce ideas off of someone on a forum, and I simply don't work that way. IRC or in person, that's the way I roll.

20. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    I lurk very occasionally on the NaNo forums, but I doubt I'll ever wind up posting there, for much the same reason as Traknar. I'm just not posting as much as I used to and I've already got a number of other communities higher up my list, anyway.

21. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I'll mostly stay in the forum for my region, and only then for meets and stuff. If I want to talk to people from here then I'll do it on here, and I use google for research and stuff.

22. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've added to a couple of the reference threads this year. I generally check on the forums about once a day before and during NaNo. In the past I've picked up a couple of subplots from the 'Plot Bunnies' thread. Also in prior years we've started a TFN thread in the Writing Groups and Clubs section as well.

23. Etain

May 11, 2008
    I check my region and once you can customise the forums, I do that and restrict myself to those. I am a chatterbox and when I should be doing something else it only gets worse. [face_blush]

24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I don't allow myself to go on their forums til I've done my daily words. That way I can update the word count at the same time.

25. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    This will be the first year I will be participating in NaNo. I decided to play along since I actually have an epic story idea, which I also have an outline for. (Thanks to this cold I'm nursing on the couch right now!) The first 2 chapters were written quite some time ago and bubbled on my laptop for several months. Now I want to finish it, since my husband has been on my back for "Why don't you ever write anymore?" I'd been enjoying reading voraciously for a good year now, and I suppose it might be time to get back in the game.

Still a bit freaked, though. My main problem with challenges like this is that I always have an easier time writing something that has come totally from my own muse. My muse tends to crumple with any light poking. But perhaps poking is the only thing that will jumpstart it, so I'm going to give it a valiant effort.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.