main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[NaNo] National Novel Writing Month 2011- Over for another year.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    I'm going to give this a shot. 8-}

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    That's the way I feel and why I was also hesitant to join. I don't like to force my muse into a schedule. If the prose starts to flow, just let it go. It would only hurt the author to shut off that faucet and tell their muse to wait until the official "start" of NaNo. If what comes to mind is gold, I need to write it down before I forget it. And since I write everything by hand before I transfer it to the computer, I don't classify my roughs as actually writing, as often, they'll be disjointed, in no recognizable order, and scribbled over with reworded sentences that are further scribbled over and reworded. Then, they're further reworded when I type it.

3. spycoder9

spycoder9 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 23, 2008
    Decided to give this a shot! :D
    Writing a kind of end of the world pandemic novel! Wish me luck! :)

4. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Participants list updated! Welcome to those joining the insanity! :D

That's why I carry around a little notebook with me everywhere I go for at least all of October and November, that way when something hits me I can write it down before it goes away.

You can certainly be a 'NaNo Rebel' and start your story before November 1st but you shouldn't count those words toward your NaNo word count. The great thing about NaNo is, it is what you make of it, no one is standing over you making sure you follow the rules. :)

5. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    Eeek, getting close now! How's everyone getting on? Me... yeah, I still don't have a plot.

But, I do have stuff! First of all I updated the word tracking spreadsheet I made last year so it works for this year. You can preview and download it from here! It comes in different colours and styles and everything, so you can pick whichever one you like best. There's even a Star Wars theme!

Secondly, there's the word meter I made, which you can use to share your progress on your blog, website, etc: just follow this link!

Aaaand finally, I made a few book covers this year. I gave them random titles and author name, but they're adoptable. Some of them are still available so if they fit your novel, feel free to claim them. (Tell me which one and I'll fill in title and name for you). They're all collected here. Alternatively, if you're writing fanfic or want a different cover, you can request one, I'll be doing them until NaNo starts. My offer for fanfic covers is open as always anyway.

I think that's all I've got. If any of it is useful, then yay!

6. jedi_of_ennth

jedi_of_ennth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 1, 2005
    I signed up as an excuse to finally start writing an original novel I've been planning and researching for about a year now. I had a few scenes down on paper, but I don't like any of them, so this is as good a time as any to completely start over and get back in the habit of writing.

I participated unofficially several years back (2006 or 2007), but didn't have the guts to actually sign up on the site and so didn't get credit for "winning". :p Hopefully I'll pull through this year, though. My username on the NaNo site is ennta. :)

7. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    I've got a plot in my head and plenty of character info. Now I just have to rewatch the series I'm writing the fic for, watch another series so I can get one of my new character's speech pattern down, and then continue my research into both the fic's series' EU and longsword techniques (on that note: I don't think many people realise that the actual techniques look soooo much cooler than anything hollywood's ever come up with). So that's 50-odd episodes of anime, many hours of research and I've yet to actually write a proper outline.

Four days should be plenty of time, right? 8-}

8. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I got pages upon pages upon pages of notes and outlines and some scenes drafted up. And in between any actual prose are more pages of notes and outlines. And I've been reading into how to keep the energy going through a novel (never written one).

9. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    OMG, I am out of my mind. I just joined. I blame JediMara77 and Jade_Pilot for this. aaaaaaaaaaaa, oh, I am so nervous. [face_worried]

10. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Participants list updated!

There's nothing to be nervous about, ginchy! If you make it to 50K, awesome! If you don't it's not a big deal! :D Either way you should have a lot of fun!

Discussion Question: It's almost time! Are you ready? Is there anything you are stocking up on for the month ahead: snacks, caffeinated beverages, etc? Have you made a NaNo playlist of music you plan to write to? Where do you plan on doing most of your writing?

11. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    You wouldn't perchance be writing Claymore fanfic, would you? :D

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've stocked up on Diet Coke and Mt Dew for drinks, and assorted veggies (celery, carrots) and other munchies. As far as writing goes, I tend to hand-write and then type it in on the PC afterwards. I have tried composing on the PC but I find that having to worry about formatting and other stuff in Word just detracts from creativity. Since I hand-write, I tend to follow the sun around the flat (bedroom mornings, living room afternoons). If it happens to be warm enough I might try sitting outside in the sun and writing. (That doesn't often happen, but the forecast is for it to be in the 50s F so you never know.) I might also try the local pub for variety.

As far as music goes I usually have on some instrumental classical music when I write. I can't have vocal music on as it affects my concentration. When I type it in I normally have the TV on as background noise (usually news or documentaries).

13. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    Shakugan no Shana, actually. One of my OC's is a several-hundred year old master swordsman and I want to make sure he knows how to fight with a blade properly... even if the whole supernatural abilities thing everyone has going on kinda throws the normal rules of swordplay out the window.

14. Etain

Etain Jedi Youngling star 3

May 11, 2008
    I have stacked up on TIRUD updates for November.
    Good thing actually, since I fell for my male NaNo lead. :oops: This leads to a complete lack of second chapter planning since he does not appear. But I do need to introduce the character featuring in it. Hell is made of a big cast.[face_devil]

WIll have my own Write-In with my sis on Monday. (She's got such a great idea,t hat I really hope she sees it through and I get to read the story. *chews fingernails* ) Going to stack up on everything on Monday. Maybe I can convince my best friend to join the write-in online...

15. Raxacoricofallapatorius

Raxacoricofallapatorius Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 20, 2010
    Do you participate (or plan on participating) in NaNo activities such as Write-ins or The Night of Writing Dangerously?
    Absolutely. Two miles away from my house is our local library. They're hosting Write-Ins. Hopefully, I can find some other Star Wars geeks and we could get together.

If so, how often? Is this something you've done before? If no, why not?
    I've never done it before because I've never done NaNo before. :)

How many people have you told you are writing 50,000 words in 30 days? What were their reactions?
    One. My cousin.
    Let's say she had a temporary fit of apoplexy.

It's almost time! Are you ready?
    Of course not.

Is there anything you are stocking up on for the month ahead: snacks, caffeinated beverages, etc?
    Free time.
    Have you made a NaNo playlist of music you plan to write to? Where do you plan on doing most of your writing?

Two Steps from Hell works awesome. I plan on doing my writing in my sleeping bag or at the library.

16. emerald54

emerald54 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 4, 2007
    If there's one thing that's absolutely sacred in my little corner of the 'verse, it's caffine. Diet Coke, coffee, and tea, for the most part. I've also got brand new part time job, so I'll need it. As for snacks... [face_blush] lets say Halloween candy goes awful quick around my house.

Playlist! My new theme song for Luci is It Was Good For You Too, Marian Call. Technically it was written for YoSafBridge, but it fit's Luci's Post-Empire mindset quite well. I've put together a pretty good playlist, and I'm excited to use it. And I'll probably be writing when I usually do, from about 10-2, because I can't seem to write during the day.

17. AricaBolts

AricaBolts Jedi Knight star 1

May 20, 2011
    I'm on the YWP site and i'm doing 30,000 words!

(Writing a book based on teh game, like what Sean Williams did for the force unleashed.) Can't Wait!

Arica.

18. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    I'm still very hesitant about committing myself to this. Several of my friends have told me I should join, but I have so many things going on in RL.... :(
    Everybody says it's not a big deal if you can't meet your word goal, but I can be a perfectionist at times and when I commit myself to something, I'll go to great lengths to get it done. It's just that I absolutely can not afford to get behind on my college studies.

I do have a lot of ideas for a super-long Star Wars fanfic, though. :D I'm not completely done with planning and researching for it yet. Hopefully I'll get that done before the 1st.

I don't drink coffee, but I plan to stack up my tea and chocolate supplies. Possibly buy some coke, too. There will be music. Lots of music. :D

I'll probably try NaNo for the first couple of days to see if I can pull it off while college is going on.

19. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Discussion Question: It's almost time! Are you ready?

Uh... sorta. Not really. Nope.

Is there anything you are stocking up on for the month ahead: snacks, caffeinated beverages, etc?

Nope. Just my usual grocery list. Though I may do more actual writing while at the laundromat this time...

Have you made a NaNo playlist of music you plan to write to?

Nope. The only soundtracks I make are for RPG campaigns.

Where do you plan on doing most of your writing?

Alone in either my room or the kitchen/dining room.

20. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Chilla: some quick advice about this would to not worry about meeting daily word goals, and to relax if you don't write the 1,667 words needed that day or you don't write anything. The important thing is the final word count. Just get as much written when you can write and hopefully you'll make it. :)

21. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001

As soon as I stop researching and start writing. Honestly, the number of things I come up with per day that I might accidentally write wrong and shouldn't care about but do because I'm OCD and omygosh this isn't historical fiction, it's modern fantasy, what's wrong with me?! *hyperventilates*

Beef jerky, bottled water and trail mix keep me going when I really need them. And if I make my weekly word goals, I've got a different place I want to go for lunch at the end of each week.

I've had a playlist called 'Wingspan' for months to get me in the mood for brainstorming. It has everything from 'Lily and Severus' to 'Swan Lake' to 'Bad Romance.'

I'm going to be commute-writing. I have to get to and from work on the bus and I plan on toting my netbook with me wherever I go. When I'm at home, however, I'm going to keep myself awake by sitting at my desktop.

22. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006

In about a week. First I have a trip with my mother and I can begin when I am back on the 8th

Nope. After coming back I have to do shopping first and after that I can begin. And there is the usual work and more.

Soundtracks.

Where the PC is

23. jedi_of_ennth

jedi_of_ennth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 1, 2005

Not at all! I've had a lot of experiences in the last week that have completely changed the focus of what I want to write about. I think this is just going to be an exercise in catharsis.

Diet Coke, always and forever.

No. I just write to whatever I feel like at the time. I'm guessing there will be a lot of The Cure, The Smiths, and AFI.

On my laptop while sitting on my couch.

24. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Gah, what the heck! I just signed up. Let the mayhem begin! :D

Prepared? No. Still missing character names, homeplanet of my OC, story title... 8-} The good news is that I have a lot of ideas for the story itself already hammered out (in my head).
    I guess I'll go and try the SW name generator again. Puh....

That reminds me: I need to go shopping now. Need chocolate. Need tea. Need more sugar.... [face_hypnotized]

My username at the NaNoWriMo page is WingedJedi.

25. Etain

Etain Jedi Youngling star 3

May 11, 2008
    Great!
    I'll tell you if we have NaNo realted writing times while I'm at my best friend's.:D
    Otherwise we'll just have a NaNo break in the museum and hope to draw new inspiration from the geek out. [face_dancing]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.