main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NaNoWriMo 2008 - Post NaNo Depressions!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by C1-J2, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C1-J2

C1-J2 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2007
    Hello!

Nearly a year has past, and everyone's arms are finally just about rested by now, right? Well, it's time to break out the wrist braces and pain killers once more, because NaNoWriMo is back!

Now I'm sure some of you are wondering "What exactly is NaNoWriMo?"

It's an event called National Novel Writing Month that occurs every November amongst writers throughout the entire world. That's right, an entire month dedicated to the art of writing a novel.

Now I'm certain your next question is probably along the lines of "What do I have to do during November?"

All you have to do is go to the website in the link above and sign up. Then you have to write 50,000 words. Simple. [face_mischief]

There is a catch though. Every single word of that has to be written between midnight on November 1st and 11:59 pm on November 30th (Please Note: this is your local time, so make sure that your account on the NaNo website is set to the proper timezone. I wouldn't want you losing because of something like that).

Still with me? [face_batting] Good.

Now you are probably wondering what grand prize you could possibly win for such a grand feat. A Wii? A brand new car? A visit from Master Qui-Gon Jinn himself?

Nope. You earn a certificate with your name on it. Oh, and you have to use your own ink. But that's not the best part, you get the satisfaction of having completed this on top of your already crazy DRL's and you have 50,000 words of a novel begun. That's 50,000 words more than you might have had if you had not decided to join.

Those are the basics of NaNoWriMo. Here's a list of other things you might be wondering:

Q: Can I write fanfiction?

A: Yes, fanfiction is perfectly fine.

Q: Can I continue a story I've already started?

A: Technically, no. They want you to start a novel from scratch, but many people in the past have continued theirs, and it was accepted, as long as they did not count any words written before November.

Q: Can I write more than 50,000?

A: Yes, you can write as many words as you want.

Q: What if I don't make the 50,000?

A: You will be banished to a far away land, where you will be quartered and burned at the stake. [face_skull] Actually nothing happens. You don't get the certificate, but you were actually willing to give it a try, and you got words down on a page. That's better than a whole lot of people.

Q: Can I use an outline?

A: Yes.

Those are some of the more common questions. Here's a link to the FAQ: NaNoWriMo FAQ Any other questions you have can be asked here, and can probably be answered by someone who has participated in past years or by me.

I went ahead and started a hangout for us on the NaNo forums: The Crossed Sabers Lounge It's not the greatest name in the world, so feel free to come up with a better name and I'll change it.

Here's the link to the Official Nanowrimo Chat Room Thanks moosemousse!

I'm going to try my best to keep a list of everyone participating, so either post here or PM me, and I'll add you to the list. As November progresses I plan on updating everyone's word counts daily so please keep me updated.

A few questions to start us off:

How many years have you participated in NaNo? How many years have you completed NaNo? Do you have any suggestions for the new participants?

If this is your first NaNo, what got you interested in it? Are you excited, terrified, or (insert random emotion here)?

Geesh, it's still October and my wrist already hurts. :rolleyes:

Best of Luck and Take Care,

C1

2. C1-J2

May 16, 2007
    List of Participants and Word Counts:

Alexis_Wingstar: 12,172
    Alley_Skywalker: 4,000
    BigFatty (aka Call_Me_Lydia): 50,875
    C1-J2: 24,444
    Ceillean: 50,089
    Corellian_Ale: 2,628
    Darkwriter:
    darth_grievous1 (aka davetek_1212):
    DarthIshtar: 2,012
    DarthXan318: 50,210
    divapilot: 7,700
    earlybird-obi-wan: 60,000+
    Force-sensitiveLyn23 (aka LightsOfBroadway):
    Idrelle_Miocovani: 50,256
    Independence1776: 100,065
    InsaneIsta:
    jaina_clan_solo (aka jcs_52462): 31,268
    Jedi_Perigrine: 53,535
    JediNemisis: 80,357
    Jinngerbread: 50,022
    LadyLunas: 50,584
    LAJ_FETT: 50,803
    Lord_Zeron: 67,661
    mavjade: 16,482
    mikky-nikki:
    moosemousse (aka moosemouse): 50,085
    MsLanna: 50,029
    Myriad_Daydreams:
    Obi-Gon_Skywalker (aka Alatarielf):
    PulsarSkate:
    Quigonjecca:
    silverfighter (aka Silent_Thunder): 11,800
    SithGirl132: 50,447
    Thumper09 (aka chrononaut67): 50,118
    Ubersue: 4,000
    Ultima_1: 50,024

3. C1-J2

May 16, 2007
    How many years have you participated in NaNo? How many years have you completed NaNo? Do you have any suggestions for the new participants?

This will be my third year participating in NaNoWriMo. My first year I wrote a SW fanfic, and just barely managed to win. Last year, I hit the sophomore slump and failed miserably, plus I decided to write an original fantasy, and I had no idea what I was doing. I'm going back to fanfiction.

My suggestions for new NaNoers: Turn off the editor, this is about getting that story out, not about perfection - that's for NaNoEdMo. ;) Write about something you know, if you're spending more time during November researching, then you probably aren't going to finish. Research it as much as possible during October, so that you're prepared when you're writing under pressure. Also, chocolate and/or coffee may quickly become your best friend. Peanut butter and SunnyD work just as well for me though, so just find something that can help you stay up later.

That's about all I can think about at the moment. I'll say more if I think of anything else!

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've done it the last 3 years (and won). However, I was not working then. I haven't decided yet about this year as I am now working full-time. The last couple of years we've had icons for NaNo. So if any icon makers want to do a couple for this year I'll try to get them loaded.

5. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    This is my third year participating in Nano. Sadly, I've never once finished it because I still have a bunch of stuff to do besides write. :(

I've already planned my story but I doubt I'll finish on time. Have to wait and see, I guess.

6. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    I might try this this year. I've always meant to, but November is also exams month...

7. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    *Sigh* Sadly I can't participate in NaNoWriMo this year since I have WAY too many projects going at the moment and writing a 50,000 word novel would be too much right now.

8. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    Of course I'm in! Last year I completed it with a few days to spare, and it was SW fanfic, of course. I don't know what I'm going to write this year- considering the way my Muse has been lately, it might just be fanfic again. I'm exciyed, even though I know November is a hard month for me- exams, Thanksgiving break away from computer, schoolwork, start of fencing season.

9. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    This will be my third year. I won with eight days to spare in '06, went to uni and crashed and burned utterly last year at 12K. This year? I'm in my second year of uni (way harder), have three essays due mid-Nov, and am helping produce a play to go on in the first week of Dec. And doing NaNo. Bring it on . . .

10. Quigonjecca

Quigonjecca Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    I'm in this year! I've never done it before, but I've worked it around school, and I think I can manage. I'm psyched, terrified, excited, think I'm going crazy, etc. Normal stuff, you know? :p

Anyway, I'm not doing fanfic though. I'm doing a historical fiction novel-- something I haven't done. All my previous attempts at writing have been fantasy, so this is going to be fun!

11. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    Man! I just wrote two 50,000 + novels over the summer - I'm still working on one of them. Guess I started too early. :p

I'm a member, but I don't think I'm going to do it this year. Maybe next year.

12. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006

This will be my second year. I didn't complete the story last year. :( My suggestion is just keep on writing, no matter if it's stupid... don't edit yourself. You can cut out and edit things after November. Let your muse run wild, and who knows, maybe that stuff you thought was stupid as you were writing it may not be so bad after you take a step back and look at it a month later.

If this is your first NaNo, what got you interested in it? Are you excited, terrified, or (insert random emotion here)?

It's not my first NaNo, but, to answer the second question, I'm not sure what emotion I feel towards this right now. I definitely think I'm insane for trying this once more.

13. micky-nikki

micky-nikki Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 31, 2005
    I'm in! This will be my third year doing NaNoWriMo. I've never won, as highschool sucks the life out of me, and I don't actually have high expectations for this year, since I have a part time job on top of everything else. But NaNoWriMo is just too much fun to pass up. :D

If anyone has checked out the November calendar, it's actually looking pretty decent, weekend and vacation wise. NaNo starts on a Saturday, ends on a Sunday, and there are five Saturdays as opposed to the normal four. Thanksgiving also falls so that most schools/businesses will be closed sometime in the last week, when we're all frantically trying to force out the last few thousands. Perfect storm.

For newcomers, I'd really recommend writing out some form of an outline for your story, even if you don't normally use one. You may never give it a second glance once November starts, but it's a great thing to fall back on if you're in the slums and having trouble pushing out the next word.

14. C1-J2

May 16, 2007
    Glad to see this many people already deciding to jump in! :D

I applaude those of you who are choosing not to participate this year, you're all way smarter than I am. :p This is my first year of college and my first year working, and among everything else, I have no idea when I'll find the time, but I beyond excited this year. I don't think I've ever been this stoked for NaNo before. I actually came up with an idea, before November, so I plan on getting it done. Plus I plan on actually being more social with other NaNoers, which hasn't happened much, so that should help a lot. As mikky-nikki just said, "NaNoWriMo is just too much fun to pass up."

Great advice from all of you! I think I will actually try an outline this year. My first year I started mid-November, and last year I was too focused on theatre (:eek: is that even possible?) to even have an outline either year. Since I have one now, I might try to come up with a basic outline and run with it.

I'm writing a novel about Siri Tachi during her time undercover as a space pirate. I have two possible titles, but I can't decide which to use, since I haven't decided if it's better as 1st person or third.

15. SithGirl132

Dec 6, 2005
    I was listening to music as I attempted to write my paper today, and I think I might actually branch out and try another fandom than SW or even try original historical fiction/fantasy, depending on how the bunnies go.
    I know NaNo isn't smart, since I'm a science major and swamped with work, but it sure is a lot of fun. And the bunnies are biting well, so I think I'm going to have a good idea.
    question: where would you go to find if a work is in the public domain or still under copyright?

16. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    I'll try too. I just promised my dad to write a book in two weeks.:oops:
    Okay, this will take eight now, but it won't get faster than that, does it.
    I'll certainly do an outline, topic and title are already there. Now I have some time to find a plot.[face_worried]

17. silverfighter

silverfighter Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 28, 2007
    I lost my mind and decided to try this. [face_worried] I've heard about it before, but thought that I wouldn't be able to come up with (or tack mini plots together) to get something that would last me, because I can't really function without much set in stone plots lately. Until last weekend. Oy.

I was going to start it today, but as I was surfing around on here, I saw this thread. At first I thought, "No way. . ." but, um, yeah. Like I said, I lost my mind and am utterly terrified. :p

18. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005

Since I am a total masochist, I say, bring it on. I am feeling challenged and determined.

I have heard of NaNoWriMo, and I even got their "novel writing kit" (PM me for my opinion). The NaNoWriMo concept is intriguing. It follows what my favorite writing advice is, and that is that you have permission to write a really crummy first draft. Once you understand that this is a first draft, not the final copy that will start the bidding war for the movie rights, I think there would be a lot of freedom in that.

I want to write, I love to write, but I seem to only squeeze in time for writing. You know, after the laundry and the cleaning and the errands etc etc etc get done. Maybe having a deadline and a community to help out will get me started.

QUESTION:

Can we post our NaNo project as we write it? Get feedback and all that?

19. Lolly_Tolly

Lolly_Tolly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2008
    I'll probably try to write something in November. But I don't really want to commit myself.

I'm horrible like that. :p

20. SithGirl132

Dec 6, 2005
    I actually waited until the end of NaNo last year before I posted my final project, since it needed some editing and polishing before I wanted others to read it. The feedback as I've posted it gave me good ideas on how to structure a NaNo in the future.

21. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    I would start by googling whatever work you wish to know that information about. You're bound to find something about it like that.

BTW, I made a suggestion for the name of the group to be "The Novel Forcewriter's Guild". Though I like the current name, too, the title just popped into my brain and I had to share. :p

22. C1-J2

May 16, 2007
    Alexis: I like that! I'll consider changing it to that, depending I guess on what everyone else decides.

That would be fine. If it's fanfiction feel free to post it on the boards, I've seen others do that in the past. There's also an excert area in your profile on the NaNo boards. You could place an excerpt in there and then ask for feedback from people. If other people are interested, we could place short excerpts in this thread throughout November for feedback.

23. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm in it for the third time this year. The first time I tried I failed miserably. Last year I struggled with the last few thousand but I managed to finish it with plenty of time to spare. :)

One thing I'd like to say to those who are reading this thread and are still undecided, it really does look good on you CV. I had an interview with Hewlett Packard and they were quite impressed by it, or at least that's the general impression I got from their comments.

It might be a good idea to link to the official nanowrimo chat room in the opening post. It's an IRC chatroom and the details are:
    server: irc.goodchatting.com
    port: 6667
    room: #nanowrimo

24. Quigonjecca

Quigonjecca Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2007

Do you know when it was published? I think the general rule is anything published before 1920 is in the public domain-- at least in the USA, I know that's how it works.

25. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Do I get points for reading 50,000 words? [face_mischief]

Good luck to everyone who's participating! Good luck especially to those who have eleventy billion other things to do during November - you are far braver than I. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.