main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD NaNoWriMo 2008

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by morgan-aleghieri, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    It's almost that time again folks - the time where we all sit down at our computers, swear blind we're going to write 50,000 words and then shake our fists at the end of the month crying, "Next time, gadget - Next time!"

National Novel Writing Month begins from November 1st, and runs all the way til the end of the month - you can access more details at the website here (well, you know - if the site's actually functioning - seems to be down at the moment).

So in little over a month, I expect those enthusiastic about writing, and those who have nothing better to do to dust off their type-writers, put on their creative hats (or various pop culture themed hats - Indy hats, Dr Who hats and Fez's are perfectly acceptable) and get to writing. [face_peace]

2. Loch-doubt

Loch-doubt Jedi Youngling

Jun 11, 2008
    FYI: a 'typewriter' is like a keyboard attached to a printer, and severely unforgiving.

(no spellcheck)

3. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    I am aware of this - but I am also aware of the fact that it also cannot connect to the webotubes (a vital requirement when combatting procrastination) and I have a healthy supply of dictionaries and thesauruses on hand in book form :cool: Also obsessive compulsive need to retype things a lot catered for with typewriter due to typos and general rewrites. *nodnod*

Also feels like being in a noir, so that's cool too.

4. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    I'm gonna do this, for the simple fact that if I pledge to do it, the Cosmos will conspire against me and find for me gainful employment with which to distract me from this worthy effort.

Or I'll actually get some words down on paper this time.

But what to write about? Do I use the same idea I was going to use last year; the bizarre adventures of some University Students in a world that they don't want or understand, or something else?

I realised recently I could turn my long running RPG "Burgundy Squad" into a sitcom. Might work as a novel. Need to read the rules again.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

5. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Last year I got so enthusiastic about doing it, but when the time came, I realised I'd just finished a very intense semester and just needed a break.

This year I'm going to act disinterested until the last minute, upon which I might or might not turn and pounce upon the challenge. WE SHALL SEE.

6. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Heh, well I feel silly - I put the wrong year in the OP. Fixed now.

Anywho - still have no real idea about what I shall write, but I've decided that whatever I'm going to write, it's going to be something I can convert into a comic script.

I keep meaning to improve my drawing skills by putting together a comic - but I've never got a script I can work from.

Hopefully I can pull this off. [face_thinking]

7. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    I've decided to focus my efforts on other projects this November, chiefly building a portfolio of ads for my job-hunt, and finishing season two of the podcast I have a habit of namedropping in sentences such as this one.

All the best to you braver souls.

8. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Well, I don't know about anyone else, but my efforts this year were exceptionally disappointing.

At this very moment, I'm wasting time at work creating "chatterboxes" (or so we called them at school) in order to aid my last ditch effort at a plot. (Also, because I'm growing restless waiting for work to end and coast weekend to begin.)

[image=http://ausweb.scu.edu.au/aw01/papers/refereed/turner/Image4.jpg]

Any ideas as to what should go on each of the tabs would be most appreciated.

9. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    "Unceremonious Character Death"
    "Unexpected Romance"
    "Random Sci-Fi Wildcard"
    "Chapter Told Entirely In Poetic Verse"
    "The Butler Did It"

Godspeed.

10. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    "The Butler did it" will always be my favourite scene from the old Sherlock Holmes game/case, "The Mummy's Curse."

"Gasp! Holmes, the guy we were going to interview about this other mystery is dead!"
    "Pfft, leave this one for Scotland Yard, Watson - it's obvious that the Butler did it."
    "What Butler, Holmes?"
    "Exactly."
    "..."

11. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    My excuse is the computer problems I'm been having the last week. That's my story and I'm sticking to it :p

I've got a plot and characters (not even thinly veiled versions of myself and friends) but I can't capture the narrator's voice. I'm tempted to go with the "As Good As It Gets" theory of how to write female characters, but I'd get beaten by ever feminist in the metropolitan area...

Always next year. No job either!

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

12. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    Still two days to go. Stranger things have happened.

13. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    Mine is the same story every year, get maybe 10,000 words down, then chase something else for the rest of the month. My excuse is that I don't do the NaNo seriously anyway, so it really doesn't matter. My other excuse is that 50,000 isn't necessarily a novel so even if I did manage the target I'd still be a novel short of complete :p

14. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    Anyone else get anything down?? Love to read some.

I didn't try...never try, never fail. That's my motto. or it would be if I had a motto.

15. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    I wanted so badly to at least write more than I did last year, but I failed miserably again. Sad face.

The advantage I had last year was that I'd worked out my story idea to pursue well in advance - this year it was just november all of a sudden and I was wondering where all my time had escaped to. Ah well, next year! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.