main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Natalie Portman, CANNOT act

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by DarkLord_Tyrannus, Jun 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkLord_Tyrannus

DarkLord_Tyrannus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2002
    SHe is horrible my young apprentices.

I mean, while she is most definitely the nicest piece of eye candy as far as females go, well besides those in the bar on corasant in thongs hehe, her acting is horrendus.

"we use to come here for school retreat"

Ewww the way she says it, like this is a play. Natalie Portman doesnt fit the part. She is a horrible actor.

Now, anakin, is not a perfect actor himself...but was it ...you know what darn it, I am going to make a seperate post for him!!

DarkLord

2. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Have you by any chance seen her other movies? Me, I look at Lucas' flaws as a director first.

Now where's that emotiocon...ah yes...

[face_plain]

3. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    Portman was really good in Leon AKA The Professional. What happened? Different director perhaps...? One who isn't highly regarded for his skill at directing actors?

4. BlueMules

BlueMules Jedi Youngling star 3

May 30, 2002
    I kinda agree with you, she seems to play " Natalie in Star Wars", not as Padme Amidala.

The scene where she falls from the transporter and then running is....something.

Oh well....

5. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    Have you seen her in anything else?

Watch the Professional or anything else she's in before saying she can't act at all.

6. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Me, I look at Lucas' flaws as a director first.

Well how nice of you [face_plain] All good acting in Star Wars is because the actor is great..any bad acting is because of Lucas. I love that logic.

7. DarkLord_Tyrannus

DarkLord_Tyrannus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2002
    Horrible defenses of her my young JEDIs.

A true actor has this thing called IMPROV. She should be directing herself since she is now older and a Main Event style actor.

Lucas may be the director, but you never know, maybe he tried to tell her to change it and she was just horrible? But since she is on contract what can he do. Find a new amidala???

Her only good movie was that one when she was pregnant and gave birth in walmart, wow, she was so fine HMMMM :) Her acting stunk here as well.

8. BrendanWOR

BrendanWOR Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 24, 2002
    Oh yay, another thread started consisting of the original writer's opinion. How excellent.

[face_plain]

9. BlueMules

BlueMules Jedi Youngling star 3

May 30, 2002
    The Professional was made almost 10 years ago. I think she should be even better by now....( methinks).

10. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    "Well how nice of you"

:)

11. palthemac_o_trades

palthemac_o_trades Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2002
    I agree ..go watch Leon..then come back and tell us what you think of her acting.

12. The Fett

The Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 1999
    T have to agree that she comes off as flat in AOTC and TPM. I also have to add that Carrie Fishers fake english accent in ANH, and her "We Did it" line were pretty bad too.

13. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
  14. Shaak

Shaak Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2002
    "Natalie Portman doesnt fit the part."
    True. She may not be the best person for the part, but that doesn't mean that she sux at acting. Think about it....who else could be Padme? Jennifer Aniston? JLo?? Lol. :)

15. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    Who else can be Padme??? I dunno, lots of unknown actresses out there, like Lindsay Felton for example

:p

16. AL

AL Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 22, 1998

I agree that she is horrendous in the film, especially the "No, you listen" line. The dialogue does not do her any favours either, mind you. The way she puts forward her case by pointing out she is a senator and he is a jedi in training sounds anything but other worldy. It is as if she is saying: "You live in London, I am going to Sheffield to be a part time journalist: it just would not work!"

Shudder!!!!

17. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    Oh wow... yet another tool who thinks he knows something about acting.

Portman is a fine actress. Your opinion in this matter has been considered and laughed at.

RB

18. homeless_jedi

homeless_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    do any of you study acting? or this this just pure ignorance.

natalie portman is playing padme. what you are seeing is padme on the screen. not natalie portman. get it?

there is such a thing as padme being like that in the star wars world.

in the real world people dont act to pleasure you.

why dont you do a project for me.

go study how people act in real life. your mom, your dad, your brother. and then come back and tell me they are great at acting.

natalie portman acts that way because she is portraying padme. and padme is supposed to act that way. i dont know how to explain it but just to say that. natalie portman is not like that in real life. padme is.

19. toochilled

toochilled Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    hmmm well.

As much I may not like the lass, she can act and she does a good job in AOTC.

At least, that is my opinion.

20. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    Homeless Jedi... 99% of people who make comments like "this person can't act" would not know the difference between a great performance and a bad one.

I remember once seeing an actor receive an award for some movie and my girlfriend at the time said "But he was horrible!!! I hated him so much!!!"

Of course he was the villain of the movie and did a great job in making my girlfriend hate him. She could not equate that with good acting. Most people are no better at it than she was. :)

RB

21. Rupert_Pupkin

Rupert_Pupkin Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2002
    Why do people keep bringing up The Professional? Don't you know how pathetic it is if your best acting of your career is done when you're 10 years old? Natalie Portman is a bad actress. She acts as if shes bored out of her mind! She seems lifeless and emotionless. Its very dull to watch.

22. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    Sadly, I agree that she is a bad actress. She was poorly cast with the role of Amidala, IMO.

23. homeless_jedi

homeless_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    RB..I really doubt that the average movie buff knows anything about acting. specially kids.

I have amounts of acting courses that demanded hard work. memorizing lines and acting like you are talking to a ccg creature is not easy.

I think she is a wondeful actress.

I would like to see you do a better job.

anyways there is no flaming permited here. this should be locked immediately.

24. Toby-Wan-Kenoby

Toby-Wan-Kenoby Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2002
    Well, its your opinion. As far as my opinion, she is one of the best actresses of the world. She was incredible in Leon, absolute amazing in Beatiful Girls, great as great as you can be in a so small part as Mars Attacks! and with a near not existent caracter in Woody Allen's film. She had one of the gratest acting duels with Susan Sarandon in Anywhere but here, being both ladies the soul and hearth of this film (and be as an equal master in the same shot as miss Sarandon is not easy) and did a amazing job in Where the heart is. In the Phantom Menace she was perfect as a youn queen, perfect brecause only the near adult Mathilda of Leon was the perfect choice for a 14 year old queen of a planet. She was serious and with real dignity. And here, she is Padme, not Natalie. In this film, she has more to express with her face and expression that with correct diction. She is natural, ando...you say she can't run? Well...Its her way. I know my english is bad, but i think if you are reasonable enough, your able to undestand me. You want arguments? Facts? This is art. You can sing in latin tecnical achievements, at last, the only thing you get, is you own impression. Are you inteligent? Have you trained your sensibility enough? Good enough? How do you know? The only thing you can do, is believe in yourself. Like Socrates said, "the only thing i know, is i dont know anything" Please, if you believe in this words, be coherent. Natalie is wonderful. Crazy. Magnificent. You dont believe me? Well... Ok. Yor problem...or mine. Who knows?

25. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    Natalie Portman makes me feel funny like when we climbed rope in gym class. That's the sign of a great actress IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.