main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Natalie Portman, CANNOT act

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by DarkLord_Tyrannus, Jun 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mad_Ewok

Mad_Ewok Jedi Master star 3

Apr 26, 2002
    I think her performance is very weak in AOTC. The only time that she actually seems to show some human emotion is the meadow picnic. In nearly every other scene, she looks like she's just going through the motions and doesn't want to be there at all.

So what if George Lucas isn't an "actor's director"? Good actors can still act despite that. Look at McGregor, Lee, McDiarmid, Morrison, etc. Although I don't like Hayden's acting, at least he tries and looks like he enjoys being in a Star Wars movie.

Of course the OT has some bad acting, but I'd rather have corny, overdone acting (Carrie Fisher) than wooden, stiff acting (Natalie Portman).

2. FatherVader

FatherVader Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 27, 2000
    She can say that all she wants to, I mean I would, like I said before, acting is a cake job for what a person does work wise and gets paid. She would like to keep raking in the big bucks. So, yes, she says she likes acting but does she really?

She just does not seem to have the fire in her to really go for it like she did when she was younger....not sure why?

3. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    think her performance is very weak in AOTC. The only time that she actually seems to show some human emotion is the meadow picnic.

That, and when she said: "I call it aggressive negotiations!"

;)

4. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    So what? It's Star Wars. Like Carrie Fisher blew every one away as Princess Leia? Um, have you seen ROTJ, she sucks in that movie, but it doesn't matter.

Star Wars is space battles, ground battles, and lightsaber fights. Anyone who thinks other is seriously deluding themselves.

5. Darth_Odious

Darth_Odious Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2002
    OK, here's my opinion:

If you want to get a part in a star wars movie that is juicy for an actor and limits the awkward dialogue that GL himself says he writes, BE A VILLAIN.

People who don't get accused of being a bad actor from star wars films:
    James Earl Jones
    Ian(need I say more?)
    Peter Cushing

People constantly accused of being bad actors based on star wars films:
    Mark Hamill
    Natalie Portman
    Everyone to play Ani thus far

The difference? We don't have to hear Vader banter. Vader never has to break in and say, "I've got some buildup in my respirators". The villains are kept saying the important stuff: EVIL stuff.

Meanwhile, ani talks about fixing droids, sandstorms, Luke whines about the academy, padme talks about school, etc.

Now, don't get me wrong. GL is probably my favorite director. No one else creates whole worlds. Others use special effects for some crucial thing, while George builds up layer of layer of fantastical imagery so that even the little things are beyond our own experiences. However, it seems like just about everyone around him has said he's not an actor's director, and even he says his screenplay writing is not his strong point.

His dialogue is sometimes clunky during "chit-chat", and the lead characters have to do a lot of the chit-chat in his films. And so, they get criticized.

I like Natalie. I think she's a very good actress. But look at it from her viewpoint. Best actresses awards don't go to female leads in star wars films, because that's not the sort of movie GL makes. This is just a paycheck for her, and hopefully she won't be typecast for her efforts. She tries her best in a very new medium where she is not physically interacting with other characters, but talking to the air half the time.

6. Mr Bungle

Mr Bungle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    My $0.02 is that she is AWFUL. I think she's easily the weakest link in the series. I'd give her the edge over Hugh Quarshie because she's beautiful. But her line delivery is quite bad. Not as bad as TPM ("I ask of you...no, I beg of you" and "you're a funny little boy" are cardboard FLAT), but still bad.

I know that "you're only as good as your director, but come on, show some life. Case in point: Ewan McGregor. Dude is handed bad lines in TPM and is STILL great in it.

Sorry, folks. She has a rep for being a "great actress" because of strong childhood performances. That's it.

7. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    But that has to be hard to look back at her 13/14 year-old self (I don't know how old she was when she did "The Professional") and realize that she used to be a better actress. How do you get out from under the shadow of one great early role?

8. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    Leave Natalie Alone. I was more worried about Hayden than her. But-Hayden was really good. Natalie was good. ewan was good. :) :) Its all been said and done!

9. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    Others use special effects for some crucial thing, while George builds up layer of layer of fantastical imagery so that even the little things are beyond our own experiences

Ummm....GL does use special effects ya know.

;)

10. BlueMules

BlueMules Jedi Youngling star 3

May 30, 2002
    I see inconsistencies here.. =)

"I never care about the acting or who did it.
    My opinion stands, however. Portman did a fine job as Padme. It was Hayden that I am worried about."

As 3CPO would say" What are you talking about? <GRINS>"

11. ElegantWeapon

ElegantWeapon Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 27, 2001
    Natalie is a wonderful actress. Her performance in AotC isn't her best ever, but it has a quiet emotion to it.

I'm not complaining. Not everyone is at their prime in front of ton of blue screen.
    It took Ewan to overcome the hurdle in TPM to really shine for AotC.

Just watch her, REALLY watch her in the fireplace scene. She's saying alot more with her body, then what she actually says.
    It's very well done.

12. Ociredor

Ociredor Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2002
    It appears that on this board ppl either really like Natalie's acting in SW or really hate it. I guess I would have to be in the former, since it seemed like her performance fit the character.

I don't think we need to state that we are only talking about Natalie's performance in the SW movies, because since this is a SW message board the role we are talking about should be obvious.

13. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    As 3CPO would say" What are you talking about? <GRINS>

Touche!

[face_mischief]

14. Anakin_Skywalker20

Nov 16, 2000
    Just check out my website in my sig. Im doing a website dedicated to both Natalie and Hayden :)

15. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Audrey Hepburn was a magnificent actress -- one of the best ever. May God rest her soul. She played a charming Queen in Roman Holiday, a film a lot should see to see how romance works without being cheesy and laughable.

She was "Sabrina" and Eliza Doolitle in My Fair Lady.

Funny thing is, they considered Natalie Portman for the portrayal of Audrey Hepburn in a film biography. Talk about irony. Natalie may have had the looks but could she capture the charm and warmth that Hepburn had in abundance? Nah.

The role eventually went to Jennifer Love Hewitt.

[image=http://home.onestop.net/lpc/hepburn/rh2.jpg] [image=http://home.onestop.net/lpc/hepburn/audrey07.jpg] [image=http://home.onestop.net/lpc/hepburn/ahepburn.jpg]

War and Peace:
    [image=http://www.reelclassics.com/Actresses/Audrey/images3/aud_warandpeace_ferrer.jpg] [image=http://www.reelclassics.com/Actresses/Audrey/images3/audrey_warandpeace_mel&henry.jpg]

There are so many great actresses out there -- why'd we get a non-fan with no interest in the role? :(

16. Anakin_Skywalker20

Nov 16, 2000
    Okay... this is a thread about NATALIE PORTMAN not JENNIFER LOVE HEWITT. OR Audrey Hepburn.

Accoring to the Ep1 scrapbook, this is what Rick McCullam said about Natalie:

"She is a wonderful, serious, deeply committed and focused actress. She was always our first choice for this role (Padme)."

17. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    "There are so many great actresses out there -- why'd we get a non-fan with no interest in the role?"

Name an actress who is a fan. Really. I'd be interested in knowing them, I might agree with you

:)

18. BlueMules

BlueMules Jedi Youngling star 3

May 30, 2002
    ME, LOL =)

Honestly, Lurking_around has a point. It is hard to find an actress who is also a fan.

However, it might be nice if she doesn't OPENLY said she doesn't like Star Wars.

Hey, it is all in acting, ya know?

19. Anakin_Skywalker20

Nov 16, 2000
    Am I the only one who thought Natalie was great in AOTC?? Am I the only one who is defending her?? Grrr... First it was Mark Hamill...now its Natalie... *Sighs*

20. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    I think her performance is very weak in AOTC.

You and every living, breathing critic on the face of the planet.

21. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I'm with ya Anakin20 :D

ST

22. Mr Bungle

Mar 18, 1999
    Lurking_Around,

Um, Carrie Fisher? No? She's even offered to help GL write.

I heard on the radio that Drew Barrymore is a HUGE fan.

Sorry, they're out there. I've accepted Natalie Portman as the one with the role, but she's pretty empty. Come on.

Time will expose her as the lifeless actress she is.

23. Vodstok

Vodstok Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2002
    Didi she say she didn't like star wars, or just that she isn't a fan? There is a big difference.

I couldve played padme, I have a killer body in a tight dress, but I'm a tad broad shouldered and hairy, and that tendss to put people off. ( I am very comfortable with myself, but for the record, it was halloween, and I had been drinking.......) :)

24. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    I love Mark Hamill. Bad roles after SW but he redeemded himself in my eyes with his excellent voicing of the Joker in the Batman Animated series (and he will reprise this role for 'Birds Of Prey'...yaay!)

:D

25. Mr Bungle

Mar 18, 1999
    I never watched Star Wars growing up. I mean, come on, I'm a girl."
    Natalie Portman

Smart, too. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.