main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Natalie Portman in EpII

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Skywalk272, May 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skywalk272

Skywalk272 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2000
    Ok . . at least I see better where you are coming from, but based on my own life experiances, I never really bought into the whole Birds of a feather philosophy . .

If I were to be interviewed for something, I would want to sound as well informed as possible. I think the vocab she uses is basically her interview language. I base this on some political cometary of hers. She's trying to add credibility to her interview, though she me inadvertantly come across as showing off. This is my stance.

Coarse, I'm the guy who always sees the best in people. You could be right cause I have to admit that I don't know her at all. These are just my impressions.

2. Salacious_Bob_Crum

Salacious_Bob_Crum Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2002
    I think they might have over done the makeup in an attempt to make her look older, and more mature. Remember, she's younger than Hayden, yet Padme's supposed to be 5 years older than Anakin.

3. jedimaster5615

jedimaster5615 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 23, 2002
    Ok. I was in San Francisco on vacation for the last week so I've been doing a lot of reading the past couple of days to catch up on everything I missed. Now I noticed some talk about how she seems to be showing off by using big words. I've seen/read a number of her interviews and I don't see anything wrong with the language she uses.

It makes sense to me and I have no trouble understanding it. I mean, hell, she goes to an Ivy League school.

4. Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi

Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 1999
    Well i think theres lots actress who would do a better job if they played her role

she looks good , thats all

5. MachinatingMachiavel

MachinatingMachiavel Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 1, 2002
    Anyone know where we can all read the interview online?

6. Bresson

Bresson Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    Oh great.

First, Natalie proves herself to be both an excellent stage (ANNE FRANK, THE SEAGULL) and film (PROFESSIONAL, BEAUTIFUL GIRLS, ANYWHERE BUT HERE) actress, and everyone wants to blame her because Lucas and Hales can't, for the life of them, write believable dialogue for a woman.

Now, some guy named Blue Mule thinks she's a snob because she's well spoken. I guess she'd be more acceptable to everyone if she was an airhead who used "like" and "whatever" in every sentence. The philistines that invade this website give internet discussions a bad name.

7. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    I like her as Padme. I think she did a great job for what she was given.

8. Skywalk272

Feb 16, 2000
    I was talking about her hair a the lunch thingy . . just making sure we are talking about the same thing . . . why make herself look older for that?

Anyway

Natalie = good actress

and as for the "poor dialog for a woman" she had to deal with,

think Space soap opera

and not

Space "Gone with the Wind" or (insert classic love story here.)

9. Skywalk272

Feb 16, 2000
    From imdb.com:

Sensual Star Wars babe Natalie Portman has feelings for other women. The stunning actress who plays Senator Amildala in Attack Of The Clones announced that, although she has never explored her lesbian fantasies, she would not rule it out. The sexy stunner, who once dated Moby, claimed that although her personality is more compatible with men she wouldn't want to close herself off to girl only action. She says, "I've never dated a woman or anything like it. But I think it's much more the person that you fall in love with and why would you close yourself off to 50-per-cent of people?"

Is this for real? It sounds kindof brash. Even for her . . . but oh well. Hope this isn't too of track.

10. Skywalk272

Feb 16, 2000
    Just wondering if anybody was still interested in this thread . . . or even in strange reports of Portman the criminal

HOW DARE SHE TALK ON HER PHONE WHILE DRIVING!

:p

11. RogueTrader

RogueTrader Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    Yeah, she said that. But it is taken TOTALLY out of context in what is written above. They take her comments and then do quite a bit of stretching. I have the original interview. It's nothing like this.

12. entfirst

entfirst Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2002
    Well, I think that a lot of her performance is hit and miss, due to the dodgy dialogue. But hey, all is forgiven. :D

13. Skywalk272

Feb 16, 2000
    Ah, so another vote for Portman the directors victim (makes a tally) . . .

Hmmm, I figured some journalist had stretched the truth . . . oh well,

I din't get too excited . . .. :p

yet . . .

14. Vaders_leash

Vaders_leash Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi said, " Well i think theres lots actress who would do a better job if they played her role

she looks good , thats all"

Well said. I completely agree here. Natalie must have had very good screen tests and interviews. So would a hundred other teen-age actresses.

IMO, Natalie may be great in the rest of her movies. But I don't think she's cut out for Star Wars; she just can't relax into her role.

But since it's really too late to complain now, I'll have to see if she's any better in episode III.

15. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    I find the concept of an actress with brains refreshing. From what I understand, Natalie Portman isn't even sure if she will continue with her acting career or not since she seems more than capable of getting a "real" job with her academic credentials.

Natalie Portman would seem to be the exception for most young actresses rather than the rule. When was the last time you heard of a young actress attending Harvard as well?

No, she doesn't look good. She looks great. :D

16. BlueMules

BlueMules Jedi Youngling star 3

May 30, 2002
    Mira Sorvino attended Harvard. She got Oscar for supporting actress.

I think she is more qualified than Portman.

17. Imperial_Guard

Jun 13, 2002
    Sorry, but can you jog my memory? What film did she win Oscar for? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I honestly can't remember at the moment.

Portman works because of her general look and so they were able to make her look younger in TPM and older in AOTC. It's hard to put into words but I think it's an intangible quality that makes Portman a solid choice given the story that we have so far.

EDIT: If you could post a photo, that would be great cuz I think I'm getting my actresses confused. Was she the one from American Beauty?

18. Vaders_leash

Vaders_leash Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    Mira Sorvino won Best Supporting Actress for "Mighty Aphrodite".

Natalie considered the role of Jane Bernum, Lester's Daughter, in "American Beauty". But she turned down the role because it required a topless scene.

The best work I have ever seen of Natalie was in "The Professional". She seemed like a realistic young girl.

19. BlueMules

May 30, 2002
    It is funny that MANY people think her best work was made 10 YEARS ago.....

I guess either she hasn't improve or she doesn't have a good agent, LOL.

More "brainy actresses": Julia Stiles is Junior in Columbia, Jodie Foster graduated from Yale.. I think I can ramble a couple more talented actress who graduated from good, Ivy League schools.

20. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Meryl Streep was from Yale too.

The more I think about it, Portman really sucketh.

21. Imperial_Guard

Jun 13, 2002
    Well, that shoots down the stereotype of "dumb actors". LOL.

I guess Hollywood just hires the best and the brightest. :D

I think that looks are definitely a part of the equation besides the obvious and I'm not sure that I can really picture any of the other actresses that have been mentioned as the mother of Luke and especially Leia. I mean, Julia Stiles? There has to be some visual continuity here as well, so there is a balance to finding actors that fit with the OT and have immense talent. There may be "better" actresses out there but look completely wrong for the part.

And how do people define bad acting in the context of a fantastical universe like SW? The acting wasn't "believable" yet droids, Jedis, various aliens, etc. are "believable"? I always find this kind of puzzling.

22. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    And how do people define bad acting in the context of a fantastical universe like SW? The acting wasn't "believable" yet droids, Jedis, various aliens, etc. are "believable"? I always find this kind of puzzling.

Watto was more believable than Natalie. (and I think many would agree). Even Jar Jar, with all of his quirks, is more animated than the invisible Padme. (she's like a non-entity to me).

23. Bresson

Bresson Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    "It is funny that MANY people think her best work was made 10 YEARS ago..... "

No, Blue Mule. She did great work in "Beautiful Girls", in a small role in "Heat", and in "Anywhere But Here". She did great work on stage in "Anne Frank" and last summer in "The Seagull". Oh, you didn't see those? Well, maybe you should do your research before you open your trap so you can at least sound like an informed critic and not some philistine who's all talk and no knowledge. Or at least admit that Lucas's writing, particularly in regards to women, stinks, and that the ghost of Greta Garbo wouldn't be able to say those lines with any conviction.

24. BlueMules

May 30, 2002
    Bresson, cool down your temperature, LOL.

I did see those films, and to me, that character she portrayed wasn't convincing. I didn't buy those characters. It was Natalie on the movie, not the supposed character.

BTW, why are taking these critics personally?
    ( laugh... =)

25. entfirst

entfirst Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2002
    I thought Miss Portman was good in Heat. If I remember, she only had three scenes and one of those she is out cold with slashed wrists :(

But in the other two scenes, she lets us know that she is truly ***ked in the head due to "family" problems and what not. I still think that Leon (or The Professional for America) is her best work though. But by no means do I right off her other work, just think that Leon was REALLY GOOD on all parts.

Any way, I pretty much agree that Lucas can't write the best dialogue for any character, but it doesn't bother me. I've seen AOTC 5 times and each time I love it more and more. Isn't that whats important. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.