main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Natalie Portman in EpII

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Skywalk272, May 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandmaidenEirtae

HandmaidenEirtae Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 23, 2001
    Okay, I have a question about Natalie's white battle outfit. If she didn't know that she was going to be heading to rescue Obi-Wan, why'd she pick something like that to wear? I mean, it doesn't exactly fit in with the style of the rest of her clothes.

2. jedimaster5615

jedimaster5615 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 23, 2002
    She knew she might need a distraction.

3. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    Ociredor - Welcome to a place where everyone has an opinion. Stop whining because everyone doesn't agree with you.

4. Ociredor

Ociredor Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2002
    I wasn't "whining", I was just stating my opinion as well. I've seen many other ppl act like that on this board.

5. Silmarillion

Jul 20, 1999
    "I thought she did a great job in ATOC, and if you geeks can't recongize that, then screw you. "

Uh huh.

6. Ociredor

May 9, 2002
    Okay, maybe I went a little overboard on that. I was in a bad mood when I wrote it, so I apologize.

7. Silmarillion

Jul 20, 1999
    No problem. I know the feeling. ;)

8. Skywalk272

Skywalk272 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2000
    Glad everyone is getting along . . .

It seems to me there are two different ways approach this. Either they think Natalie did an outstanding job, and Hayden needed some improvemnet, or they think that Hayden was just amazing and Natalie fell short. I never see to many people praising BOTH actors. Nobody ever seems to think BOTH actors did horrible either. Most think one did an outstanding job, and the other was satisfactory. I think this is a result of two relatively new actors working with a new person and they are trying to have good chemistry together. Somehow it doesn't always work right, but they get it where it counts and never make me leave the world of the film. I think by EPIII they will be even better together.

While, I think both did a wonderful job, they each had some shining moments and some that fell short. This "inconsistancy" of the young actors is the result of the simple fact that this is a Star Wars film. So its actually to be expected. So in order to judge the acting potential of the two for their future films, I try to look at their better scenes.

1. Natalie's is without question her "I truely deeply love you speech . . "

2. Hayden's is without question his "I HATE them!" Speech.

Truely contrasting perfomances.

9. Darth_Top_Hat

Darth_Top_Hat Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2001
    Thought Natalie and Hayden were both wonderful in AOTC. I enjoyed both of their performances. I believed in their love for one another. after all, we know it is a tragic, doomed relationship.

10. BannedJedi

BannedJedi Jedi Youngling

Nov 25, 2000
    Natalie Portman rocks! She's beautiful, smart, and single from what ive heard.

11. jedimaster5615

May 23, 2002
    Skywalk272 that was very well worded. I think you hit it precisly on the nose.

12. doublejointed

doublejointed Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2002
    I had a real tough time liking anything about Natalie's character in this movie.

Except when she fell outta the ship!

I cringed whenever it was her turn to aspouse dialogue out of her squakbox

I loved her outfits, and hair, and makeup, and voice in APM, but without her being a princess in AOTC, (thumb down accompanied by long fart noise)

I felt her marrying a jedi was the single most shallow move in the entire saga. Anakin had a reason, he's gonzo in the head, and in REAL pain, so I know its cript based, but she has the soul of a mudfence you can tell, shes pepsis poisonous answer to Starwars

If she really is from harvard, then that is what I sensed in her, and that I hate more then anything else. She reeks of unconstituted arrogence, and I assure you its not princess related, I see it in interview I've seen lately

As far as her beauty I place her about tenth in line behind the women who don't have lil boys bodies, with dolls faces stuck on

I can not see how any actress would have a done such a painful job, but she did it, dang
    she is the top 6 things wrong with this feature

13. jedimaster5615

May 23, 2002
    So are you saying that everyone from that certain ivy league school is arrogant?

(btw we're not supposed to say any personal information)

14. DarthBone7686

DarthBone7686 Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2002
    I, for one, believe both Natalie and Hayden kicked bootie in AOTC. Seems to me most every one has to focus 99.9% of their energy on any negative aspects of the film, even tearing into the fact that one actor may attend a university such as Harvard. Could that be jealousy of not being able to do what all she is doing? Whining and complaining about the acting not being the world's greatest is the top thing wrong concerning Star Wars. This is due to the lack of imagination of some of the fans. Sorry, but if you can't get past these listed "problems," then you need to lighten up and stop acting like some famous, conceited acting/film critic (one of the most useless positions ever conceived by the entertainment industry). Should you choose to abandon this self-righteous mental state, I promise you'll enjoy the film much more. If not, then I seriously pity you.

15. DarthBone7686

DarthBone7686 Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2002
    Oh...and I challenge you to name one actress in Hollywood who is more naturally beautiful (even with the help of cosmetics and such, for that matter). She's about the most gorgeous thing I've seen in any movie! :)

16. jayme_

jayme_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 12, 2002
    Many people confuse acting with what the characters are actually like. Amidala has been consumed by politics for most of her life and has been an emotionless, stiff Queen/Senator. This is the way real politicians act. They must carry themselves in a respectful manner, or else they will get no respect. Amidala is ranked very high in the minds of her "dellow felegates" because of these characteristics she displays. She doesn't break down with tears in the Senate or trip over her words. She states them in a clear, cool, collective way that shows power. The personality that Natalie has shown in AOTC is that of Padme, not bad acting. And she portrays it quite well in my opinion.

17. JBFett

JBFett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    As most of you know I love AOTC...think the acting is among the strongest in all SW movies. But i think Hayden is too good for Natalie. She doesnt look like she is enjoying herself at all for alot of this movie and she had the same flat feeling in TPM. Many are just saying shes good cause shes good looking, and those people need to really get a life.

Carrie Fisher did a brilliant job in the OT and made leia an exciting and interesting character. She breathed life into the character. Natalie however does not. I care about every character in star wars except for her. In some scenes (picnic, freighter) she does a good job, but alot of the times she is just reading lines and doesnt look like she cares about the movie she is in. She just stands there. Shows no emotion, no life..Threepio is more human than she is. She stands still at the introduction, stands still and walks in a mechanical way at all points in the movie, and only in the arena does she look like she is capable of locomotion besides walking on a track.

Think about it....what does she say or do that has caught your attention...she gives no reaction to ANYTHING in both movies except for when she gets cut. Her look when anakin confesses is not even too impressive, If I heard that I would be a little more shocked. She is given WAY to much credit in the prequels...and just because she is a senator and supposed to be "proper" doesnt excuse her of a mediocre to poor performance, cause Leia was a member of the imperial senate as well...yet she breathed life from her first second on screen.

if that is the personality of Padme...well I dont know what anakin sees in her cause she has NONE!

18. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    SIMARILLION Said (quoting oricredor):"I thought she did a great job in ATOC, and if you geeks can't recongize that, then screw you. "

Uh huh.

LOL!!! Hilarious. I am still laughing from that.

I am so upset I had not looked in this thread earlier. Some great material in here.

DOUBLEJOINTED said:
    If she really is from harvard, then that is what I sensed in her, and that I hate more then anything else. She reeks of unconstituted arrogence, and I assure you its not princess related, I see it in interview I've seen lately

LOL! Are you serious in this? You sensed the Harvard-side in her?? Come on. If Nat is arrogrant, which is possible, let's not blame it on her college. It probably got started way before then. And think about it, she's a Hollywood actress, how much time does she really spend on campus?

Oh and by the way, I thought Nat's performances in TPM and AOTC were mediocre at best. She never lifts her emotions. It's really weird. She just sounds plain. I think the Professional was her peak. Seriously. She had so much life and charisma, she was great. All the other times she has the same monotone, not just in SW.
    Yeah, when she said "I truly, deeply love you" it was nice, but I liked it more because Anakin was usch a sorry sap rather than because of Nat's terrific delivery. And let's not forget that seconds later after her "we're bout to die" speech, she's using her hairpin to pick her cuffs and escape.

And as far as being the hottest actress out there? Please. Not even close. What, do you guys really think Nat is sexier than Catherine Zeta Jones, Halle Berry or Selma Hayek? Not even the same league.

19. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    I think Natalie delivered the line "I truly, deeply love you" very well. She had a lot of expression on her face, especially in her eyes. Lucas was clever by placing that particular scene in the dark tunnel where no one could see them, or hear them. They appeared trapped or closed in, but still separated because they were in a dark place.

20. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    Okay, so let me get this straight. Anakin and Padme are about to get executed. Padme has been restraining her love for Anakin all this time and is now ready, just at the precipice of death, to let him know her feelings. The man she truly, deply loves is about to die a brutal, malicious death. Wouldn't she be nervous?? Or dare I say, shedding a tear??!??

Remember the scene in Gladiator (which is obviously very relevant to the finale of AOTC since it was the basis for it) where Maximus is chained to the wall and the Princess comes to speak to him? He says "forget you ever knew me" after almost choking her? She loves him and wants to let him know that but she is saddened because this guy has been set up to be slaughtered and she cannot do anything about it. The love and despair is apparent in her expressions. Where is that from Padme? She could have been saying that to Anakin on park bench or over dinner. The gravity of the situation is not reflected in that scene.

Now let's remember, Gladiator was a big budget summer action flick. Not an art film like the worshipped, mighty Citizen Kane. And it still got the emotional delivery job done.

21. doublejointed

doublejointed Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2002
    I guess I should turn my true anger on those who mindlessly adore her so, thats where it really stems from

I pity them
    it reeks of mental conditioning

name one actress in hollywood more purely beautiful?, thats the problem, shes too hollywood, if anyone watches foreign films, they would most likely agree that American movies are brainwashing advertisements, they've lost everything, I would not go anywhere near Holywood to find a star wars cast

thats whats wrong with the world
    war death destruction aids disease corruption
    terrorism nuclear war gangs pitbulls and the HOLLYWOOD minute, most of the people associated with Hollywood are the demons set loose on the planet to lower the standards for the perfect and holy few

I'm sorry if I hold Star wars too close to the heart, its my bible, and I really love the movies, they are amazing, I just want us to kill big businesses and factories like Harvard, it stinks of hierarchy which doesn't belong in my dream called life

22. Ociredor

May 9, 2002
    I don't think that everyone on this board who liked Natalie's performance in ATOC did it just because of her looks. Some ppl truely belived that she did a great job, and you need to respect that opnion.
    And her being a politician in ATOC DID have alot to do with her performance. I still thought that she did a good job, despite that others have called her wooden.
    And stop judging Natalie's carrer based on only two movies. She has given a number of critically acclamied performances, and was even nominated for a Golden Globe.

23. jedimaster5615

May 23, 2002
    I read some post somewhere by some person who was saying how her performance appeard inconsistent because she was both a politition and a woman falling in love. She was rigid and hid her feelings some of the time, but other times she showed emotion such as the i love you speech. I also read someone saying how she didn't show any emotion in this scene and she should have been crying or somthing. THIS JUST IN: She was crying. It was quite obvious that her eyes were swelled with tears. I may sound like some avid fan defending everyone of her lines, but I am not. I think she did a great job overall, but there were some scenes where she could have been better. In the scenes that I thought were most important, though, I think she did a great job. Those scenes being the picnic in the grass and the i love you speech.

BTW, when they kissed the first time on the balcony/overlook thing I hated how the music was getting loud then cut off when she stopped the kiss. This seemed like somthing that would appear in a comedy movie and was totally inappropriate.

24. Skywalk272

Skywalk272 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2000
    Jedimaster, I often wonder if Lucas didn't do that on purpose . . . stoping the music . . to get a laugh. It made me laugh. Oh well.

Well, so much for not getting into where she goes to school. I'll just hope it really isn't that big a deal anymore. Seems to me everyone knows anyway.

I'm glad the thread has managed to avoid flaming for the last several posts. Good arguments for both sides. :)

I like Natalie not just because of looks or acting ability by the way, but because she intruigues me. The intellegence and open mindedness she has displyed in interviews/ articles (even ones she has written) are intrest me the most. I get the feeling she could be somone I could learn from, and interacting with individuals who could teach me something is one of the great purposes of life for me.

For you fellows who point out why you don't like her so much, I can see your point. One scene in particular always bugs me. Right befoe the first kiss, Nat is supposed to be rembering her childhood summers at the lake. Though she talks full of fond memories, she walks along stiffly, not even pointing out the things she is talking about. I guess I attribute that to blue screen. Sombody should have told Natalie where the island was at least, so she could point it out. Oh well.

25. kristof

kristof Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    I get the feeling she could be somone I could learn from, and interacting with individuals who could teach me something is one of the great purposes of life for me. [face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.