main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Natalie Portman = Natalie Hershlag?!!

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by TrueJedi, May 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrueJedi

TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 22, 2000
    Did anyone else know that Portman's real last name is Hershlag? A bit shocking to me. The name didn't match how pretty she is. :) No offense to others named Hershlag. I'm sure you're all quite lovely. :p

2. 7thWheel

7thWheel Jedi Master star 1

May 29, 2005
    Hey! My wife's name is Hershlag!!!

3. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Well, she obviously changed it for Hollywood reasons, but that is her original last name. She was born in Israel...

4. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    The name didn't match how pretty she is.

You haven't seen Natalie Hershlag first thing in the morning. Or have you? :p

5. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    It sounds like German for "heartbeat"... ain't that cute?

6. Maranelo_Jori

Maranelo_Jori Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 22, 2004
    Hmmm,isnt that....jewish name?

7. QuiGonHrafn

QuiGonHrafn Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 25, 2002
    "Well, she obviously changed it for Hollywood reasons, but that is her original last name. She was born in Israel..."

Yes and no. She changed it to protect her family from the possible public "condemnation" of her involvement in Leon/The professionals. They feared her adult scenes with Reno might upset some people and thus changed it from Hershlag to Portman. That's what I read anyway at natalieportman.com. And yes of course she was born on 9th June 1981 in Jerusalem, Israel. I think Portman works better than Hershlag in Hollywood so that might have something to do with it too.

"Hmmm,isnt that....jewish name?"

I hope that is a joke. We all know she is Jewish around here, don't we - having been born in Isreal etc.

8. TrueJedi

Jun 22, 2000
    Hey! My wife's name is Hershlag!!!

Cool, I'm sure she's a lovely woman. :)

We all know she is Jewish around here, don't we - having been born in Isreal etc.

Clearly her name is Jewish but remember that just because you're born in Israel doesn't necessarily mean you're Jewish. There are all sorts of faiths that live in Israel.

9. QuiGonHrafn

May 25, 2002
    I just assumed the main star wars fans knew that Natalie was Jewish. Just an assumption of mine.

10. SixEagle

SixEagle Jedi Master star 1

May 30, 2002
    "Well, she obviously changed it for Hollywood reasons, but that is her original last name. She was born in Israel... "

No, she changed it because when she started (very young), she was afraid of failure and of bringing her relatives unwanted attention.

And yes, she's Jewish. My girlfriend (also an actress) has actually met her a few times in long island, which I guess she currently still has a residence in.

11. DarthScully

DarthScully Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2001
    wierd, i read somewhere that there was a different last name.

was it true that "Natalie" isnt even her first name? its her second name. someone told me that her first name started with an "R" but i have no clue if that is true or not.

anybody?

12. QuiGonHrafn

May 25, 2002
    No. Natalie is her first name.

13. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    You know, I thought that around here, the mods were supposed to delete stuff with her real name.

14. g3n3ral-gr31v0us

g3n3ral-gr31v0us Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2005
    ded weird i always thought she was american n hat was her real name aka natalie portman but it was a shock to find out sum 1 as beautiful as her came from an israeli background :(

please reply to me usin private message please :)

15. TrueJedi

Jun 22, 2000
    You know, I thought that around here, the mods were supposed to delete stuff with her real name.

Why would they do that? What's wrong with her real name? I mean, it's public info so why would it need to be deleted?

16. Panaka_kicked_Padme

Panaka_kicked_Padme Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2005
    I'd love to marry that gal

17. JediVincent

JediVincent Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2005
    Huh, strange.

18. DarthScully

DarthScully Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2001
    Obi-Zahn Kenobi posted on 5/31/05 7:57am
    [hr][/blockquote]
    well, yeah, anything that prys into her personal life, but then so much info is available right out on the net anyway, like where she attended highschool and stuff like that, even photos of her walking around whatever country she's on right now and having a smoke.

19. QuiGonHrafn

May 25, 2002
    "but it was a shock to find out sum 1 as beautiful as her came from an israeli background sad"

What do you mean by that? I don't get it.
    But with the name issue (whether it should be removed by the mod) then I think she has been trying to hide her real name and doesn't want it discussed or printed so maybe we should end this discussion and delete it. But who cares, all her fans know it by now and it is printed on majority of the natalieportman sites I imagine (I know it is on natalieportman.com).

20. SixEagle

SixEagle Jedi Master star 1

May 30, 2002
    " Why would they do that? What's wrong with her real name? I mean, it's public info so why would it need to be deleted? "

She doesn't want her real last name associated with her career. She doesn't want it public knowledge.

21. Darth_Blackbird

Darth_Blackbird Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2005
    Wow?this is one meaningful thread.

I wonder what her middle name is? Wait, no I don?t?because I don?t care.

Gotta love the idiot above who has to chuck in the anti-Semitic remark, too.

22. Sanjiro

Sanjiro Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 26, 2001
    Hello. i help run NataliePortman.com. sort of. so i can maybe help about her real last name and if it should be deleted. at one time Natalie wanted her name to be with-held from articles and whatnot. but now that she is an adult and out of school i don't think it's a problem. when she was on Inside the Actor's Studio James Lipton asks her her name and she says "Natalie Hershlag". and then goes on to explain her changing it and everything. so, uh, everything's perfectly all right now. we're fine. we're all fine here, now, thank you. how are you?

23. Keyser_So_So

Keyser_So_So Jedi Youngling

Jan 28, 2005
    'it was a shock to find out sum 1 as beautiful as her came from an israeli background'

Really? I've always been of the opinion that beauty is everywhere and also that it is in the eye of the beholder, so it depends how you see it...

24. dudalb

dudalb Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2001
    Those who are religious bigots of the Dark Side are.....
    The last thing we need is someone trying to spread bigotry around here.

25. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    I'm not Jewish, but Hershlag sounds like a Yiddish name to me. Yiddish is closely related to German, a language the Jews spoke in Europe when Hebrew was nearly forgotten (only resuscitated as a living language after the nation of Israel was founded).

What's wrong with being from Israel anyway? No bigotry please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.