main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) 2010: is over. :( Come in and see who won!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Oct 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah, higher than 50K would be nice, but probably not realistic for me. Plus November is the month of birthday, Harry Potter, Thanksgiving and my trip to Vegas.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    This is probably exactly what my muse needs: a kick-in-the-pants deadline. I've got a dozen plot bunnies bouncing around (I'm spoilt for choice, at least) but I can't seem to get myself to actually sit down and write. It's worth a shot, at least.

3. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Oh, screw it... I give up. I'm joining. :p I want to finish my Hamlet/Ophelia trilogy before Christmas anyway, I might as well use the opportunity to do so. 8-} Despite the style keeping word count under wraps, considering how much stuff is going to happen in this novel, I think 50,000 words will just about do the trick.

Bring it on, November. Bring it on. I'm going all out - Shakespeare style. :cool:

4. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    LOL, go for it. I'd never do a fanfic for Nano. :)

5. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Yeah, I don't think I'm ready to write original fic for NaNo. It just wouldn't work with me. If I'm going to do 50,000 words in one month, I need to do it with something that I have more flexibility with. The moment I start working on my original fic, I feel a lot of pressure if I have to stick with deadlines... so, yeah. Not ready for original fic for NaNo (yet). :p

6. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah, LYBJ took 3 years for 365,000 words. The Deserter took 130,000 and 1 year and was original. Working with an established universe is easier.

7. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Participants list updated!

Heck no! I've never actually made it to 50K much less any higher! 8-} I've seen posts on the Nano forums of people doing hundreds of thousands of words and actually making it. That to me is insane, though I guess if you are a really fast writer it can be done. Though they do say it takes a toll and you can't be someone who isn't used to writing a lot every day... you could literally hurt yourself trying to type that much if you aren't used to it. You probably could even if you were used to it.

Yay! for people falling to the temptation! :D It really is a lot of fun whether you make it to 50K or not!

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'll probably just be happy to hit the 50k unless my story really takes off. Each year I've started running out of steam around 40-45k and I've had to resort to desperate measures to finish. (I had a character start a blog one year to eke it out).

9. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    I am actually a bit concerned about that, even though I am only going for 50,000 words. I have tendonitis in both my elbows, lower arms, wrists and hands, which makes typing excessively or writing by hand excessively pretty difficult. I already have a huge load of practicing clarinet and writing for school that I have to do, so we'll have to see whether it's physically possible for me to do this or not. 8-} I am not going to push myself to finish NaNo if my hands can't take it, even if I have all the words in my head and they're just waiting to be written down.

10. CelseteAntola

CelseteAntola TF.N Books Staff star 3 VIP

May 18, 2002
    I'm going to try my darndest! School is a bit less busy this year, but I have significantly more music to practice... :oops:

So, we'll see how it goes. Last year I managed to break 50k, and it was a fan-fic (which still isn't finished). I think that made reaching the word count a bit easier. This year, however, I've got a original story planned. Again, it all comes down to actually making the time to write. Last year I scheduled the time I would write, and it worked really well (Write or Die! helped, too!), but now that I'm teaching full time, I think I'm going to have to sneak a paragraph here and there...

Good luck to everyone else who's joining the insanity as well!!

~Celeste

11. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    NaNo icons are up :)

12. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    I'll be participating again this year, though I'm not sure what I'll be writing just yet. My SW muse is on some sort of tropical vacation - why oh why didn't she take me? :p - so I'm considering something new and original.

We'll see.

I've only participated once before and failed miserably, meaning there is only one way to go from there - straight up!!

13. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I know that too well. I had to have an epilogue on one that was more like a whole chapter, just to hit 50k. I must be mad but I figure if I aim for higher then I'll be able to go higher.

Thanks! [:D]

14. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Participants list updated!

Thanks moose for making the icons and thanks Nat for putting them up! [:D]

*Looks at word count from last year* Fail miserably??? o_O

The first time I participated I got to around 8k... [face_laugh][face_blush]

15. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    My pleasure :)

I'll probably be lurking in here, being impressed as hell with all of you [:D]

16. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    By the way, Layren/Jinngerbread and I have formed a Facebook group called TF.Novelists. If you want in, message me with your name so I can friend/add you. It's support for anyone from TF.N writing novels. So far, it's me, LLL, Layren and SpiritofEowyn over there and we'd love more members.

17. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    Woohoo, I'm excited for another NaNo! I'll be trying it again (Master Yoda says I will be doing it again) for my second year.

However, I'm totally going to be cheating, taking up last year's from where I left off. I just really want to finish it. Then I can move on to other stuff. This is a really good time of year for writing, for me. :D

18. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    IIRC, if it's 50,000 new words, that's not cheating.

19. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Alas, no, novels must be started afresh.
    The full FAQ page.

20. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Ah, me equivoce. Disculpe.

21. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    [face_laugh] I'll be careful, then. I guess I'll be an "unofficial" NaNo-er this time!

22. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    While technically it is against the rules to continue something that was previously started, you can still officially participate. They acknowledge that since this is really only a competition with yourself, they have no way of governing such things. There is even a section on the forums that is dedicated to people who are doing something against the rules: Nano Rebels.

23. Corellian_Ale

Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 3, 2008
    Um, crap... should really have a story to work with before I commit myslef to such things...

24. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Ale: I've never really had any idea as to what I'm going to write for this, and yet I always manage it.

25. ahhhrealmia

ahhhrealmia Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 6, 2010
    When I was a kid, I signed up, but never participated. The lack of dedication is to be expected in a twelve year old. :p

I happened upon the site randomly and decided to actually do it this year (under the name interstella555). I consider this my first real year.

I'm doing it to revamp my creative skills. I had a lot of fun, psychological issues in high school and didn't really have time/motivation to write as intense depression tends to suck the creativity out of you. I really loved writing when I was younger though, and I'd like to dive into that state of mind again. This challenge seemed like the perfect way to kickstart my creative juices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.