main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) 2013! Over for another year.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Oct 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jabari

Jabari Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    Still trying to decide between a KOTOR novelization/continuation or part 2 of The Invisibles (previous NaNoNovel). Though, I might do something completely different.

As for Planning or Pantsing, I've done both. For some stories it worked better to spend October researching stuff and getting excited to start on November 1, for some the "stream of consciousness" method worked better. Last year I wrote a collection of 4 stories (KOTOR era, Order 66, Empire Strike Back-ish, and Jedi Academy era) so I could switch back and forth if I got stuck on one. Of course, some of the characters jumped out, and eventually got their own novel for CampNaNo. The first became backstory for the second!

I like Write or Die once in a while, if I fall behind. Usually I have the main file for the novel, and notes either go in a second file, or at the bottom for NaNo. If I think of something for later, I just put in a line of asterisks and write it down. I also mark where I left off writing with something I can put in the "Find" bar - usually something like QQQ that won't be found elsewhere. That way I don't have to scroll through everything.

If I need word count, I like to find something to describe. I think I got almost 1000 words from the thoughts and actions of a guy trying to fool the villain into thinking he was a professional dancer last year.

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Nope. Nope. Barely. Yes. I'm hoping the NSWFF challenge helps to spurn something. Otherwise, I'll just write a very long Seinfeld episode.

Outlining killed my last NaNo fic, so I'm going to write this one by the seat of my pants. Usually, I plot a loose outline just to keep me on task, but most of the actual writing is done on the fly.

A notebook scrawled with notes, disjointed scenes, and little doodles. I learned the hard way about obsessive plotting and I refuse to make the same mistake again. This will be nothing but padding, filler, more padding, matchstick-thin plot, and more padding. This will be the pillow-top feather mattress of fics. So much padding that once you lay down, you keep sinking in.

3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Do you have an idea? A plot? A thought? Or are you still trying to discover it? If no, are you actively looking for something or just hoping it comes to you?

Yes. I said this before, but I'm taking an event from a dear diary I did a few years ago and creating a new story out of it from a third person POV. It's not exactly going to be the most 'structured plot' with the whole rising action thing and climax, but it hopefully will be a fun read. I'm not sure if I can get 50,000 words out of it, but since I know I'll run out of time long before I hit the mark, I'm not that worried. This is the kinda story that allows for a lot of fluffy padding.

Are you/do you plan on outlining/writing thoughts down or are you going by the seat of your pants? Is this how you usually write or are things different for NaNo?

I'm using some of the outlining features on Scrivener. I'm going to try to outline at least the first few chapters. The first bit is going to have to have some sort of planning.

What are some resources/techniques you use while doing NaNo? (i.e. write or die, note cards, connecting plot devices on a whiteboard, etc.)

Ummm. Not sure yet since this is my first year. I'm definetly making the most of my Scrivener purchase though. best 40 bucks I've spent in a while

4. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Do you have an idea? A plot? A thought? Or are you still trying to discover it? If no, are you actively looking for something or just hoping it comes to you?
    The idea is there and it will be a sequel to my story
    The odyssey of the Kerebuy hawk

Are you/do you plan on outlining/writing thoughts down or are you going by the seat of your pants? Is this how you usually write or are things different for NaNo?
    Just the usual for me: setting plotlines up in an excell sheet where I keep track of all my characters and the timeline
    What are some resources/techniques you use while doing NaNo? (i.e. write or die, note cards, connecting plot devices on a whiteboard, etc.)
    Write the beginning and end first, the mayor plotlines and chapters and after that the parts in between

5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I guess I could answer the questions myself! 8-}

Do you have an idea? A plot? A thought? Or are you still trying to discover it?
    I have a thought/idea that is working it's way into something that might resemble a plot, except I have no idea where it's going. The problem is I could go about the idea several different ways and I don't know which one I want to do. I guess I could leave myself open to doing it any of the way and/or write them all if I get stuck.

I usually jot a few things down, ideas but don't actually make an outline. I need to learn to do it, but I usually don't have that much of the plot to make an actual outline.

I like to use write or die when I'm really stuck and just want to get down anything just for the word count. I do sometimes make physical note cards with character info on them so I can look at them quickly. I can do that with Scrivener and do sometimes, but I find having physical cards helps me. I'll also switch to a pen and notebook sometimes just because it changes it up a bit and when I go to type it into my computer, I get even more words because I add on while I'm putting it in.

I also find that going somewhere new, even if it's just a coffee shop or the park down the road (though that is usually a little too cold in November) helps me get in a new frame of mind to write. I try and go someplace new every few days during NaNo just to keep the ideas flowing. You never know what you might see/hear/smell that inspires you.

6. Cnaevs

Cnaevs Jedi Padawan

Oct 3, 2013
    Do you have an idea? A plot? A thought? Or are you still trying to discover it?
    Yesterday I came up with a SW Fanfic plot, but I can't decide yet whether to do a fanfic or not. Time will tell.

I use to be a proponent of Stephen King's mode of writing, but this year I'm going with an outline.

I'm planning to use those excel files which track my progress this year.

BTW, Do any of you know if we are allowed to do collections, that is, number of novella, noveletettes, and short stories which reach in total 50k?

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm pretty sure others have done that. I was thinking of linked short stories with the same main character and general location. Haven't decided yet though.

8. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    According to the rules as long as you don't write the same word over and over 50,000 times you are good to go.

9. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008

Yep - trying my hand at romance for the first time this year. At least that's the plan right now; it might change by the time November starts. I don't have a concrete plot yet, but I know the characters and the basic idea.

I always plan. I've tried to do NaNo without a plan and I got about a chapter into it before it all disintegrate. I always write with an outline worked out beforehand, and that goes double for NaNo. Because of the word count and all, if I have to spend time working out what exactly is going to happen as well as write it, I'd never get anything written at all.

I write in Word or FocusWriter, and compile my scenes and chapters in yWriter. It's a free program that lets you organise scenes and chapters by drag-and-drop, which really really helps me keep track of my story. I use Write or Die sometimes if I'm feeling really unmotivated. I'll try to get involved in as many word wars as possible, too, because those always really help me get the words out.

And I'll be using the word-count spreadsheet I made, obviously, since that's why I made it in the first place. I'm thrilled to death at the reception those are getting, too. At this stage, posting the spreadsheets is probably my favourite part of NaNo prep.

10. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    I've never done NaNo before, but I'm gonna be brave and try my hand this year.

Jabari and Jedi_Lover like this.
  11. Jabari

Jabari Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    I did that last year. It worked pretty well, because if I got stuck on one story I'd skip over to another. They were all set in a different Star Wars time period. And when I got really stuck, the characters time traveled so they could meet each other....

I think it would be fun (or insane) to do a collection of nano-fiction (one thousand 50-word short stories) but I didn't think I could come up with 33 plots in a day. Also, it would require too much editing to get the length right.

12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I thought about doing 50 1000-word short vignettes. I think that would be doable if you had that many ideas. But I knew I could not come up with 3 stories every 2 days for a month.

I'm thinking about making my fic into 3 parts because there is no way I'm getting 50,000 words out of my idea. I'm going to try to come up with another 2 novellas using the same characters in the AU I'm creating. I think it would be much more enjoyable to read (and to plot and to write) that way. If I was actually serious about the 50,000 goal, I would take 10 days to do every ~16667 word part, which is kinda doable, if I wasn't an insane student. But I'll be happy if I get part 1 done. I've decided to set my personal goal of 16667 words.

13. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    I think I'll try this again this year. I must be crazy.

14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Writing an anthology of sorts may be the way to go for me. An anthology is better than nothing, and better than padding.

15. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Tried to do it last year when I didn't know I could count work on my fics as it as well (or so Bryg told me). Needless to say because of improper medications i couldn't deal with not only falling behind but not working on my fics and suffered emotionally about half way through.

16. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    I really wanted to participate, but it looks now as if this semester will be much tougher than I had anticipated, with about 200-250 pages of academic texts to read every week, plus needing to study a lot for one class. Not sure if I'll have the time. I may try to write the 50k within two months or only shoot for half the word count.

17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, I know the feeling. I'm more or less just skimming my readings at this point (if I do them at all) and focusing on my assignments. I think shooting for 25,000 in a month is very admirable. Personally, my goal is 16,667 words.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I'll just shoot for a completed story. It's better than nothing.

19. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I'd shoot for the full 50,000 words. Even if you don't make it that far I think it's an accomplishment to even try, and even more so with a full study schedule. You never know what will happen, too, and you might find a bit more spare time than you expect.

20. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    That's true. And it might prompt me to do less bumming around and to be more active.

21. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    I haven’t really written much in the past three years, so naturally I've decided to use NaNo to break out of my rut. :oops:

Have you done NaNo before?

Yes.

If yes: How many times? Have you won? What is your advice for someone who has never done NaNo?
    Once, in 2010. I didn’t even come close to winning. I think I made it to 15,000 words. I guess if I have any advice it’s to follow the rules and start fresh. Last time I committed the cardinal sin of working on an existing story, and I think that’s what caused me to crash and burn.

I have somewhat of an idea. I’m repurposing a plot bunny (more like plot monster) that I’ve had for almost fifteen years. Basically going to throw out everything I’ve ever written for it and start over with just the bare bones of the idea.

I’m usually a very detailed planner. I try to outline my entire story because I tend to write out of order. Honestly, that’s probably part of why it takes me so long to finish a story and why I go months or years without updating here on the boards. So this year for NaNo I’m pretty much going to fly by the seat of my pants. Hopefully it works!

Same techniques I use for fanfic and writing in general. I write in notebooks and use Word on my laptop. I have a few Moleskine notebooks that I’ve been saving for something special, so I think I’ll probably use those for NaNo, as a way to motivate myself. I don’t know if there’s anything special about my planning/writing process. I make a lot of notes in the margins. I write summaries of the characters’ personalities and motivations. I have separate files dedicated solely to excerpts that inform the story without actually belonging in the story. I’m not sure if I’ll do all of that since I’m trying not to overthink things this time.

Anyone have advice for doing NaNo with two small children at home? :p

Oh yeah, I'm invisiblesun over on the NaNo site.

22. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I still don't know if I'm even going to participate, and as a result I don't even have an account on the NaNo site yet. The main issue is that I don't even have a hint of a plot bunny that I can work with for NaNo. The only plot bunny I have for a novel-sized story is one that I've had for several years and am probably too attached to to allow myself to write crap with it. It's one that I want to do it right, and that excludes it for NaNo. So I'm at a loss as to what to do, and if I don't come up with something by Thursday night, I'm out because I can't work from nothing.

23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Is it considered bad form to start with something you've already written? I lost my research (the relevant wookiee articles I compiled) and my half-done outline when my PC decided to die, but it's okay, because I realized I could change the timeframe so that I wouldn't have to deal with a set of books I haven't read. ANYWAYS, then I realized I had written a challenge entry in January (its just over 1000 words) that would be the perfect prologue/chapter 1. How can I use it without feeling guilty?

24. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Make sure you get to 51,000 words by the end?

25. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Bri- I've done something I'd started on before, I know a lot of people who have done so. That's the great thing about NaNo... the only cheating you can do it cheating yourself by saying you've written more than you have. So long as you have 50K new words in November, you are fine.

So I saw a few ideas recently on the NaNo Facebook for getting 50K that I thought were interesing. (I'd link to them, but I can't find them at the moment.) Most people start off great and then fade off as time goes on. One person recommends starting with word counts really high for the first week and decrease them as you go, so by the last week you are writing less than 1,000 a day.

The other was someone said write down 30 numbers that add up to 50,000, put them in a jar and every day pull out one and write that many in that day. Obviously you would have some large numbers and some small.

I thought both of these ideas were good ones. I may try the numbers in a jar one, just to have a different type of challenge inside of NaNo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.