main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) 2013! Over for another year.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Oct 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I try to do about 2000 words each day in Week 1 to get some padding in there. I aim to finish by about Nov 27 so I can verify early. The website can be very slow on Nov 30 when everyone tries to verify at once. This year so far I have a bunch of characters but no real plot yet.

2. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Does anyone else not like the official forums? I'm not liking that all the replies are out of order there. I asked if people in my region could use the reply box at the bottom and not the reply button on the post, but, uh, it got one reply. That one reply was made using the reply button. :rolleyes:

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Have you tried setting your thread preferences to flat mode (or flat view)? That would give you a view similar to these boards.

4. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I had looked for that but couldn't find it. I mentioned it on the forums and someone pointed it out to me, so it's all good. :)

5. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I haven't even started on any preparations for this year. Looked at my Spooky Story Challenge prompt again, though, and I've been watching a lot of horror movies, so hopefully something comes of it.

6. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Glad you got it sorted out, Moosemousse!

7. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Is the website down or is it just my computer or server?

8. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    It's down for me too. It just gives me a 404 Not Found error.

9. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Yep, that's the error message I'm getting also. This always happens when I decide to donate to the cause. Last year it took me a half dozen attempts to donate. I think it is the Force telling me to save my money.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  10. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I think they usually do last minute updates to the site the night before so it's ready for the 1st, so that might be why it's down.

I haven't really prepared anything and I had completely planned on doing so. I guess this is going to be a by the seat of my pants kind of year.

11. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I have absolutely nothing planned. Nothing. A couple of story prompts, but that's it.

12. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Same here pretty much. I changed my plan last week and only got to chapter 2 on my outline. And I didn't get as nearly enough done on my research papers as I wanted to in October. And currently I am dealing with waaay to much friend drama. Mesa is kriffed. I've debated pulling my entry, but I'm not, I'll just be happy if I get like 500 words down.

13. Jabari

Jabari Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    I have a pre-written prologue...but no other plans or outlines beyond a vague idea where this story is going. Time to jump off the cliff and into the water!

TrakNar likes this.
  14. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Looks like the website is back this morning. They were probably either overloaded or doing some maintenance.

15. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    It starts tomorrow? :eek: I've done nothing! :_|

16. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I'm going the 'ship the hell out of my story! Every couple gets a romance scene. That should get me to 25k words...then I just have to think of a plot. Other than think about a plotline I have done nothing. I just write scenes and try to paste them together.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  17. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Don't feel bad. I, too, have done nothing.

18. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I have also done nothing, and I haven't committed to doing this either. Case in point: I don't have an account on the NaNo website yet. It's looking more and more like real life is going to conspire to force me to wait until next year.

19. Jabari

Jabari Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    Clearly, I am well prepared. I wore a Jedi costume today. I will be writing about a Jedi. See? I got this. *

Now I just have to remember my NaNo password...

*though my Jedi costume is your typical vaguely-Prequel-ish Corellian Jedi, and I'm writing about light side Revan...so really, the similarities end at "female Force user". ;)

20. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm kinda freaking out right now. I really wanted to make a half-decent effort at getting to at least 15,000, mostly because I haven't written anything in such a long time, but I have soooo much I need to get done for school. UGH. I think I'm only going to spend an hour a night after I've researched my brains out but before I go to bed each night writing, and see where I get.

21. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    It's been November here for about 20 minutes now and I haven't done anything. Been too busy mourning the Bengals' stupid loss and keeping an eye on the severe weather moving through the area. Even so, I don't even have the slightest clue what to write, and I absolutely cannot write without a plan. And since somebody in my RPG created a situation that requires a response from me as assistant gamemaster, that will take care of my creative writing capability for the 1st most likely. I still don't have an account on the NaNo site, and won't unless/until I actually come up with a plan within the next few days. Until then, consider me a non-participant.

22. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I've been playing Pokemon this passed half-hour. Got my eighth gym badge and am on my way to Victory Road, while stopping off at the daycare to breed some Pokemon, and spend some time grinding and infecting new carriers with Pokerus. But, none of that will help me write a novel.

Unless I decide to write the saga of my Alakazam. He's... definitely my most storied of my team. Went through the most trouble to raise, too.

tjace and jcgoble3 like this.
  23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I did a narration of SW Bounty Hunter for my first NaNo - go for it!

Day 1 - 2713 words and I killed a planet and its species (except for their seed ships).

24. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    It's November 1st! Time to start writing! :D

I'm going to be gone for a week and I'm not sure if I'll have net access or not, so if the participants list/word counts on the first page don't get updated for a little bit, this is why. I'll update it as soon as I get back!

Meanwhile, keep us informed on how you are doing!

DId anyone start at midnight?

I usually do, but I worked yesterday (after staying up and watching the Red Sox win the World Series the night before) and I work today. Staying up after midnight two days in a row when I have to get up at 5am and work for 12.5 hours just isn't the best idea, so I didn't. I'm hoping to get a little free time today to do a little bit.

25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I started around 9am. How is everyone writing? I'm afraid it's pen and paper for me - I can't compose on the PC. I type it in each day into Word after writing it.

Also - Don't forget to back up your novel! Bad stuff can happen. I back up daily to a thumb drive as I have done in past years. I have one I use just for NaNo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.