main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Native American actors walk off set of Adam Sandler movie

Discussion in 'Community' started by DantheJedi, Apr 23, 2015.

1. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
  2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Sigh. They used the word "genocide".

3. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Hahaha. Oh, that's good.

Rogue1-and-a-half and Ender Sai like this.
  4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i guess that is a slightly strong way of describing adam sandler's comedy.

5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    This is clearly the biggest wrongdoing of the situation.

6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    That's pretty pathetic. You'd think we'd have learned something in at least 200 years regarding this topic.

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Vivec, it's 24 April. Today is a fairly significant event in the history of human genocide, so yes - seeing it used flippantly by some hack journalist pointing out that Adam Sandler's humour is offensive is perfect not the best.

8. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    oh are we going to argue semantics over whether the destruction of the native american population should be considered genocide or not? even if you don't think it fits the definition, i don't think it's flippant to suggest that it does.

9. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Sorry about that, Ender, but The A.V. Club is a sister publication to The Onion, so that is why their reporting has a flippant tone.

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Sean O'Neal is a national treasure.

11. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    So you'd say the systematic destruction of native peoples is not genocide? K.

Anyway, good for them. This project sounds terrible any way. Bodily fluids and raunchy humor doesn't usually work as good comedy, and when it does, it's target crowd are usually immature teenagers who still think saying "poopy" is funny. I'm glad they walked away from this. Native Americans have been humiliated and ostracized enough in history. If this had been a movie doing the same to any other race or culture, I can guarantee you there would be more uproar.

MrZAP, EHT and Juliet316 like this.
  12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    tom it's a legal term that's carefully defined so that it's not trivialised. No state can ever pass a domestic law that permits it, such is the thread to human-kind - its prohibition overrides all national sovereignty. It should not used casually for acts of barbarism which, though serious, are not on that level. It diminishes the seriousness of actual genocides, as well as undermining the crime that it's misapplied to.

Like I said to Vivec, today is 24 April - the centenary of the Armenian Genocide. It's a pet hate of mine normally, the misuse of the term, but today? I've been angry at the treatment of Armenians for years, today it's especially front of mind.

13. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I am glad they did. It boggles my mind how Sandler is still making money, much less movies. [face_sick]

14. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    They walked off the set because they mistakenly believed they were walking onto the set of a good film until they saw Adam Sandler behind the camera. The precise response any sane person would make regardless of age, race, sex, religion or socio-economic status. Nothing to see here, folks.

15. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Would't anyone run from a Adam Sandler film, especially nowadays.

16. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Since when did Adam Sandler turn into Seth MacFarlane?

17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i think you can be angry at the treatment of armenians and the treatment of native americans. but i wasn't aware of the legal definition of genocide, so if that's all you're arguing and you know for a fact that the destruction, slaughter, and death from foreign disease of native americans doesn't fit that definition, then i suppose i'll back down.

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

It's more that it's a very specific term. People use and abuse it because they want to reconcile a rational outrage at an atrocity with the need to use a suitably powerful term for it. But I can name two genocides which have not received sufficient attention, recognition, reparations and outrage - the Armenians are one, the Stolen Generation are another. Meanwhile people call the war in Iraq "genocide" or the Israeli/Palestinian conflict "genocide" - eroding the true severity of the term with a need to express their anger.

Like, my country tried to breed a race out of existence by taking their kids, putting them in white families and saying "it's good because they'll marry a white and half kids who are half Aborigine, and grandkids who are a quarter, and great grandkids who are an eighth Aborigine..." One Prime Minister eventually apologised for it, but they didn't call it genocide because that's a legal term and it might have opened them up to paying reparations.

Yep. We can't admit the extent of our crimes, which is an unambiguous breach of Article 2(e) of the UN convention, because we're worried we might have to compensate people we tried to eradicate.

It's a pet cause, but I figure it's a decent one. Being furious at our apathy towards attempted extermination of an entire people.

19. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002

Think of Mel Brooks' The Producers. You know how Max Bialystock and Leo Bloom raised millions to produce a deliberately-bad Broadway musical so they could run with the money after it closed after one performance?

Sandler does the exact same thing, only his version is legal since he sells advertising by way of product placement.

Take this still from Jack and Jill...and notice how all of the cups and popcorn bags are strategically turned so that every single Coca-Cola logo directly faces the camera.
    [​IMG]

He sells so much advertising that it doesn't matter if the movie fails hard.

20. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Juliet316 likes this.
  21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yeah ender, i don't disagree with that, but it seems like maybe you aren't actually aware of the extent to which native americans were wiped out between the time europeans first arrived and 1900?

22. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Adam Sandler movies remind me of the Epic and Scary movie franchises. No matter how bad they are, they still make money somehow.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  23. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Not really an encouraging or good thing though.

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Of course it was genocide.

And Ender just because the Aussie GOV didn't want to admit it was genocide due to $, that doesn't mean it wasn't.

harpua likes this.
  25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    More than that, we have to account for the fact that each tribe is it's own unique unit, with a separate culture, history, and legal recognized government. His certainty that none of them have ever met the criteria for genocide seems a bit much. For instance, I would imagine some of the Californian tribes might have a case, given how the governor offered bounties for anyone of their ethnicity, raised militias against them, and gave policy addresses that openly described the end point of his policies as "extermination."

V-2, MrZAP, EHT and 4 others like this.