main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Native American Nicknames Y/N?

Discussion in 'Community' started by WookatMe, May 10, 2013.

1. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I think Chris Rock but it best by saying it would be like having a team named the Newark N-Words.

2. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Do the pro-current team name people accuse the anti-currrent team name people of being wet, smallpox infected blankets?

3. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
  4. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Depends.

"Redskins" is pretty bad. I mean you wouldn't have a team called the "Negroes" would you?

But....on the other hand, "Braves" really isn't offensive. And hell, the Florida State Seminoles, are actually endorsed by the Seminole nation.

5. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Simmer down wocky. I was just trying to wind you up.

6. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    As an Irish person, I am grievously offended by Notre Dame's "Fighting Irish" and find the pugnacious leprechaun mascot to be racist. (Nah, I'm not really offended, but I don't like it and don't see how no one seems to question it.)

The Irish were discriminated against. Not for skin color, but still discriminated against.

7. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
  8. WookatMe

WookatMe Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2010
    [/quote]The Irish were discriminated against. Not for skin color, but still discriminated against.[/quote]

That's why I was sure to specify for the color of their skin. Groups of white people have experienced discrimination, but I would say not largely due to the color of their skin.

9. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    They are always the foreskins to me.

10. JangoMike

JangoMike Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2003
    As a Native I don't mind too much, but lets be fair about it....Lets name teams after ALL the derogatory and racist terms out there for ALL races equally. I mean, whats the big deal right?????

Gamiel, Healer_Leona and WookatMe like this.
  11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    There are just no good racist terms for my race.

I mean, you can call me a "cracker", but that just makes me hungry.

12. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  13. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    I'm full blooded NA. I really don't care. I don't see us pulling the race card very often- our main concerns are still largely about land, agriculture, & water rights against the 'Murican gov't.

Most people are offended on behalf of us rather then us ourselves (i.e. affirmative action nonsense). Our concerns are usually directed elsewhere unless blatant discrimination is taking place. We have real tangible things to get worked up over than a sports team.

IMHO, of course....I'm not the NA spokesman. Just my 2 cents

Let's add some Disney magic to stir up the pot though...
    [​IMG]

Gamiel and WookatMe like this.
  14. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    i feel like the "offended on their behalf" thing is pretty common in a lot of these cases. i could be wrong, of course. i mostly read norwegian newspapers and have no idea who's saying what in this case.

i'm all for fighting discrimination. i just think that the discriminated groups themselves should get most of the say in it, so it's not just white people telling everybody how they should feel about everything. especially when you say that your concerns are directed elsewhere. wouldn't it be more helpful if the rest of america listened to what you're actually concerned about and offered their help to get those points across?

15. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    Cherahonkees. lol

16. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    NIAWYC

The current discussion was spurred by a lawsuit brought by Navajo and activist Amanda Blackhorse. Most all public advertising on the issue has been produced and paid for by tribal governments or inter-tribal councils.

Darth Guy likes this.
  17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

The Yids is a specific thing because the Tottenham Hotspur have, IIRC, the largest percentage of Jewish fans in all of England (something like 25% of the fanbase). The anti-Semitism is against the fans and against the team by other, opposing fans not a part of the team being racist in any way and the local population are actually for it.

Darth Tunes likes this.
  18. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I live in an area with significant numbers of American Indians, and when I go to places that are on the reservation, the Redskins is the team I see the most jerseys, bumper stickers, hats, and so forth for. It seems to me that a lot of Indians like having a football team named for them, and root for them because the team has that mascot. This should at least be considered.

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Redskins is offensive and needs to go. Though, oddly, I think the logo is okay?
    Indians is neutral and can stay, but Chief Wahoo is offensive and needs to go.

Anything specifically tribal and/or positive portrayal (i.e. Braves) is probably fine.

Darth Tunes likes this.
  20. WookatMe

WookatMe Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2010
    Yeah, I wish they would just it to the name of a local tribe.

21. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    dp4m That's a conundrum about Washington/Cleveland I've thought about as well.

And even with acceptable/benign names such as the Braves, Chief, Indians, Seminoles, and Blackhawks, there still can be iffyness:

[​IMG]

Kansas City Chiefs

[​IMG]

Cleveland Indians

[​IMG].

Atlanta Braves

And then there's the whole tomahawk chop thing: originated with Florida State, though I associate it more with the Atlanta Braves; have heard it a few times during Chiefs games over the past 2-years. While "less iffy" than those examples above -which, to be fair, obviously is representative of the entire fan base for each of those franchises-, I find it to be an uncomfortable-enough practice; I'd imagine that some could disagree with my opinion.

22. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I met a drunk indian last night who said all white people should go back to europe because that's where God put us. Then he pointed at a Toyota and said we stole it from the earth and blamed me personally for killing JC.

I think this should be considered.

anakinfansince1983 and mrsvos like this.
  23. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    But Ross, you did kill the JC.

24. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah but he couldn't have known that, there's just no way.

25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I hope the Redskins (it isn't a racial slur because most of them are dead) keep their team name until it becomes financially untenable and the franchise collapses. Maybe if they actually lose their trademark this time and all their merchandising is lost to cheap knockoffs. The NFL boycotted Arizona over its non-recognition of MLK, Jr. Day. If you think they're being a tad hypocritical in not applying the same level of pressure on that racist idiot of a team owner, don't worry, it was actually no trouble for the NFL to move the Super Bowl away from Arizona. They might lose money if they take on one of their highest-earning teams. :( Oh, and how many Native American players are there?