main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Native American Nicknames Y/N?

Discussion in 'Community' started by WookatMe, May 10, 2013.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I thought they did lose the trademark earlier this year?

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    They have lost it before and successfully appealed, because trademarks are probably just as ****ed as copyright and patents. I believe they're still in the appeals process this time around.

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Evan, the Quarterback of the Rams, Sam Bradford, is Cherokee. But that's pretty much the only one I can think of.

Luckily we killed the rest of them rather than enslaving them, so they're no longer around to complain unlike that pesky MLK day thing!

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

The southern states took a pretty good whack at the latter...

5. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    [​IMG]

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  6. wall of sick

wall of sick Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 9, 2014
    if we're gonna force a name change, then the new name should be the RADskins.

7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    NO.

The Washington Foreskins.

Gamiel and Mr. K like this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm definitely never going to be able to watch them play ball again now.

9. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

[face_flag][face_flag][face_flag]

Now that's a name!

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Red pandas are the cutest thing on the planet. I'd watch them play football all day.

11. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Practicing a touchdown celebration:

[​IMG].

Gamiel and Juliet316 like this.
  12. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

Ooooh, their so cute!

13. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Redskins is indefensibly racist. I'm embarrassed to be a sports fan when I see so many people whining about "political correctness" in discussions about this topic. (There is certainly considerable overlap between these people and those who thought that Joe Paterno was the victim of a "witch hunt")

Braves/Chiefs/etc I am ambivalent about, since those have positive connotations.

"Indians" as a name may or may not be racist, but the logo caricature sure as hell is.

14. wall of sick

wall of sick Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 9, 2014

i'd be willing to go along with this if the new logo was an erect, uncut penis and they had an uncut, erect penis character to run the race along with the dead presidents. but somehow i think our deep-rooted puritanical nature would prevent this from becoming a reality.

15. WookatMe

WookatMe Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2010
  16. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    This is completely absurd and untrue. NFL players have no meaningful contract protections against injury or disability. The league and owners deliberately hid evidence about the impact of closed head injury for decades, because it made them money and freed them of responsibility. To this day, they continue to ignore the rapidly expanding body of knowledge about the damage from sub-concussive impacts. As recent cases demonstrate, they are perfectly willing to ignore hard evidence of felonies, and only offer belated condemnation when such evidence is leaked by a third party at a much later date. There is nothing about the NFL that even remotely resembles a "tribe" nor any other pattern of societal organization seen in world history. It's a disgusting, cut-throat, profit-making venture that's organized in favor of management to a terribly lop-sided extent.

Likewise, there is no real issue here. "Tradition" is not being defended, except insofar as one manages to excite a bunch of idiots about the preferences of a rich, bored, over-privileged and surprisingly thin-skinned racist.

17. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

The upcoming South Park season premiere could be found interesting by some folks (well, I know I'll end up liking it... hopefully :p )...

18. WookatMe

Aug 22, 2010
    Seeing Dan Snyder get pummeled over and over was fun. And Lolz@ Jerry Jones. [​IMG]

Darth Tunes likes this.
  19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Somehow I never commented in this thread. It seems like I have in a lot of others. Anyway, yeah, "redskins" is incredibly racist, so are a lot of team logos. No, it's not the most pressing issue facing the Native American people, not by a long shot, but it just feels really stupid to even have to be bringing this up in 2014. If I'm going to get really passionate about some issue surrounding Native American issues, I'll pick something else. But a team name that is the Native American equivalent of the n-word? Extremely racist caricatures as team logos? People actually painting their faces red to go to games? We shouldn't have to get into some kind of passionate debate about these things; these things are ludicrous on face value. They don't pass even the most rudimentary of smell tests. Let's waste no more time on these things. Get the **** rid of them and let's move on to the serious issues.

V-2 likes this.
  20. WookatMe

Aug 22, 2010
    For people would want to keep the name I would simply ask them if they would call a Native American that name to his or her face. I am guessing they wouldn't, and there is your reason to change it.