main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

10.5%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

42.1%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

5.3%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

36.8%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

5.3%
  1. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    What does everyone think about my team, the Boston Celtics? There terrible right now. Real bad. But Paul, Wally and now Tony Allen are all out. And they were 10-13 with a five game win streak before Pierce went down. All the experts say the Celtics have talent, especially with Green and Al Jefferson. I believe the Celtics will be a playoff team next year and if they ever figure out how to play defense, an exceptional team. Thoughts?

2. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    I don't like the double standard the media has in lambasting Isiah Thomas when Danny Ainge gets away with being an incompetent boob. Sure, the Celtics have young talent, but the Knicks are actually in much better shape for the future (which doesn't bode well as a divisional rival).

3. Boomer_Athena

Boomer_Athena Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2006
    I think they may be a few key personals, both on the court and off, from being exceptional.

4. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    lol

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Not having NBA League Pass, and not getting my team's game carrying station, combined with a fairly busy schedule means I rarely get to see them play. Tonight was a nice exception to that.

My Cavaliers played a nice game tonight. I liked what I saw, just wish I could see it more often, both in terms of me seeing them play more often, and them putting it all together more often. I love Anderson Varejao, and the hustle he gives on just about every play. This was also my first real look at Daniel Gibson as a starter for the Cavs, and wow, he looked good. If he continues to develop, that could really help the Cavs come playoff time.

The team looked energetic, and hungry, and Mike Brown actually looked awake on the sidelines. Good game, good win.

6. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Bulls been sucking it up lately. WHERE ART THOU, PAU?

7. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    [image=http://hometown.aol.com/bradleyrd/tor1.gif]

8. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    That's just stupid. LeBron isn't on some crazy "other level" like past greats were. He's a great player, hard to argue he's not top five in the league, but Wade, Kobe, Duncan, Dirk, and even KG are all still right there with him. What's he putting up, 27/6/6? Hardly reason to hoist him up on a pedistal.

9. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    You realize that not only is it his 4th year in the NBA but that he's only 22 years old right?

Here's the stats for the first four seasons as starters for all the guys you mentioned.

Dwyane Wade: 24.0 PPG 6.4 APG 5.0 RPG

Kobe Bryant: 24.4 PPG 4.9 APG 5.8 RPG

Tim Duncan: 22.0 PPG 2.9 APG 12.0 RPG

Dirk Nowitzki: 21.9 PPG 2.5 APG 8.9 RPG

Kevin Garnett: 19.7 PPG 4.1 APG 9.9 RPG

Lebron: 26.5 PPG 6.4 APG 6.7 RPG

and here's all their average rankings in these categories.

Wade 3.7
    Kobe 3.3
    Duncan 3.3
    Dirk 4.7
    KG 4
    Lebron 2

so yeah, he is on another level. It's been a loooong time that anyone has done this in their first four years in the NBA... and most of the others that did it, did it in a different era.

10. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    When it's all said and done, LeBron will be remembered as the greatest player in NBA history. If he had Jordan's killer instinct, he'd be on still another level.

Remember, Jordan didn't win a title until his 8th season.

11. Boomer_Athena

Nov 8, 2006
    LeBron also doesn't have a Scotty Pipin at his side, or one of the best rebounders in NBA history(Rodman) to help him out on a nightly basis.

12. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    LeBron is in the 1987-1990 Bulls/Doug Collins phase of his career.

Everyone else had best win their titles now, because once he either moves to a great team or gets one around him, he'll win five or six titles before he's finished.

13. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Of course he's the best when comparing the first four seasons, the kid's a phenom. Maybe I just misinterpreted the quote, but what I got from it was that he thought LeBron, as a player RIGHT NOW, was on another level. Fact is, he just isn't. I'm not comparing the first four seasons of these guys, I'm saying right now, LeBron is on the same level as the other 4-5 guys I mentioned.

And comparing Duncan's stats is the same as comparing Shaq's stats (although to a lesser extent). Niether tells the whole story.

14. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    Or Jordan's defensive skills.

15. Boomer_Athena

Nov 8, 2006
    They play defense in the East:confused:

16. New_York_Jedi

Mar 16, 2002
    Good point. So he can probably get to the finals without needing to play D, true.

17. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    And I'll just say this. LeBron's teammates are underrated. Big Z obviously just doesn't fit into the system, with his slow pace, but he's still a top five back to the basket center in the league. Hughes was playing all star ball just two years ago, and despite him being relatively healthy this year, he hasn't come close to the way he played last year. Gooden is easily a top five offensive rebounder int he league, although his stats are inflated because of all the shots the Cavs miss. He's still top five though. Their PG position is arguably one the weakest in the league throughout the roster, and niether Gibson or Snow belong in the starting lineup. But with Marshall and Varajao coming in off the bench, you have one of the biggest hustlers in the league, and a terrific 3-point shooting bigman.

Fact is, this team is just not as good as they should be. Everyone, including LeBron, is underachieving. They need to deal Z (to anyone - SO many teams could use him) for a decent PG. Bibby's obviously an option, although it'll be hard to work that one out, and Sac may not want another soft big with Brad already there.

18. Boomer_Athena

Nov 8, 2006
    Still, after all is said and done, Cleveland does have the second best record in the East. They probably have as good a chance as any other team in their conference of making it to the finals.

19. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    LeBron is also worn out from playing basketball straight through since September of 2005, and maybe before that, given the 2004 Olympics. He needs a break.

20. Boomer_Athena

Nov 8, 2006
    As bad as the East has been this season, they could probably afford to cut his minutes down for a while. They certainly don't want him wearing himself out, like he did towards the end of the Cav's playoff run last season.

21. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    I put Cleveland on a rung below Detroit and Miami (who WILL make a surge - anyone who's seen them lately know it's inevitable). Cleveland's got a chance, just as Chicago and Washington (once Tawn comes back) do, but I wouldn't put money on them.

I'd still take the Wiz in a series against Cleveland, considering how things went last year. LeBron travels on a gamewinner that would've given Washington a 3-1 lead, and then Gilbo, an 80% FT shooter, bricks two from the line to open up a chance for Damon to seal it. These scenarios just aren't likely to happen again. Not to mention the Wiz are a much more improved team this year than Cleveland is. And I don't like Bron's chances in an entire series against that Chicago D, shich would definately step it up come playoff time.

22. New_York_Jedi

Mar 16, 2002
    Kevin McHale is the best GM in sports! Really, look, I'm not kidding:

http://www.forbes.com/business/2007/03/02/sports-greatest-gms-biz-cz_jg_0302gms.html

23. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    This is why Forbes should stick to speculating markets and not teams. The article conveniently failed to mention the Joe Smith fiasco that cost the team 3 (!) first round draft picks. Granted, the Wolves made the playoffs anyway, but its still an egregious error.

24. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Haha, saw that article on another forum. Brutal rankings. Collangelo's way too low. Just because of the formula I guess.

25. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    can someone tell me how this guy is still drawing an NBA paycheck?