main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

10.5%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

42.1%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

5.3%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

36.8%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

5.3%
  1. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Grizzlies 8-1. Although we let the Bobcats back into it, they still held on. I'll just say that I'm glad that it was the Bobcats that were the second game of the back-to-back for the Grizz and leave it at that. :p

2. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/34501/dantonis-debut-still-tbd

Despite that, the Lakers have been playing much better since the firing of Mike Brown, going 4-1 so far under Bernie Bickerstaff, and setting new season high totals in points scored twice in that span, the latest coming this past Sunday night (a 119-108 drubbing of Houston). That game was rather niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice to watch: Kobe ****** around & got a triple double (22, 11 & 11), Dwight's health is continuing to improve (28 & 13 on this night), and the whole team is better in sync/more consistent with the offense (27 team assists, and Darius Morris (12 points) looked competent on the floor). My favorite play from this game.:

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    So how many minutes was there between this post and D'Antoni announcing he was going to coach that night?:p

5. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
  6. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

I don't remember.

:p

7. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    Good game for the Grizzlies tonight. They pretty much controlled the paint all evening. Hopefully they can take care of the their business at home and get the next three before going back on the road.

8. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

That's humorous, but much of the Lakers play this week hasn't been: after a rather niiiiiiiiiice, close win (95-90... D'Antoni made his Lakers debut) against Brooklyn here in L.A. on Tuesday night, the Lakers got embarrassed/out hustled by a crappy Kings team on Wednesday (a 16 point loss! [face_plain] ), then dropped the game in Memphis last night (to a really, really good Grizzlies squad). Not only have these two losses given the Lakers an 0fer so far on the road this season, but Gasol & Howard (each only getting single digit numbers in points scored & rebounds) have been terribly ineffective.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...eles-lakers-pau-gasol-wants-more-touches-post

We'll see if that happens tonight in Dallas. And a bit of bad news:

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8665865/steve-nash-los-angeles-lakers-able-jog

Damn it. The longer he's out, the more I have to watch Steve Blake & Darius Morris run the point... yikes.

9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  10. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Terrible, just terrible to hear about.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400277907

It was great to see the purple & gold finally getting a road win, even against an undermanned Mavs team. Highlights for me: MWP going off in the first quarter (16 points!), Jamison having by far his best game as a Laker (19 points, 15 boards), and just how well the offense flow (they shot nearly 50% from the field). They're back here in La La Land tonight to take on Indiana, a team that after having a 10 year losing streak against the Lakers at Staples, have now won their last two games out here. Every time they're in town, I always think back of the 2000 Finals, and specifically this video intro from game 1 (despite how cheesy parts of it are :p )... and man how I miss the NBA on NBC. :

11. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I remember sitting around the NBA Showtime arcade units at arcades for extended periods of time just to listen to the NBA on NBC intro theme music over and over.

12. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I've got the full version of the theme on my iPod... needless to say, that track gets a lot of play.

13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  14. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I don't see it happening, at least not before a franchise is put back in Seattle.

[​IMG]

I love when shenanigans like this take place.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400277929

What say you, timmoishere?

[​IMG]

Some numbers from that Pacers/Lakers game:

- 0-4, the missed free throw total's combined from MWP & Dwight Howard's trips to the charity strike in the 4th quarter, each trip happening with under 1 minute to go in the game.

- 13 team assists for the Lakers... terrible, terrible ball movement.

- 12/28, 40 points... Kobe's line, the only reason why the Lakers didn't lose this game by a larger margin (perhaps not by more than 10-15, because Indiana had their fair share of offensive troubles last night)... Bryant played while experiencing flu like symptoms.

- 2 weeks until Steve Blake can return, and Nash's future availability is also uncertain.

- 3-0, the Pacers mark over the Lakers in their last 3 trips out here to La La Land... they had previously gone 0-14.

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Biased announcing! Rondo should have rightly been ejected for starting that fight.:p

Anyways, glad there were no fans involved in this brawl. Also, [face_laugh] at that meme.

16. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    I'm wondering if Stern is going to tell Pop when the Spurs can run their zone defense next. Lol

Darth McClain and LloydChristmas like this.
  17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, I think this whole "substantial sanctions" thing for resting the players is kind of stupid. I mean, yes, I can see it from the angle of "Well the fans paid to see these players play," deal, and yes, it would suck if you paid to specific visiting players that didn't even end up showing up at the arena. But most of those fans were hometown Miami fans and probably were okay with A)Seeing Lebron and Co and B) got an exciting game out of it anyways, even with second stringers playing for the Spurs. Plus the Spurs played a grueling away schedule and Miam's what? Playing their fifth game in two weeks? In this case, I tend to understand the Spur's coach's reasoning far better than Stern throwing a temper tantrum over it.

18. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Do Miami fans even pay attention to the game?

DarthTunick likes this.
  19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  20. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Stern is overreaching, in my opinion. Coaches have to be able to make those kinds of decisions.

21. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    If this where much later into the season/a shortened season like the case last year, then I would zero problems with Popovich's decision*. However it's November, and despite their heavy road schedule (and Miami's big load of home games in late November/into early December), all of that evens out by the end of the season for goodness sake. The Spurs were 9-1 on the road before last night, so all of their road travels aren't too much of a hindrance to the team. Rather than send them home, Parker/Ginobli/Duncan/Neal (who is only 25) could played for a few minutes don't you think? Come on, Pop. Stern's $250,000 fine maybe ridiculous, but Popovich isn't right here either.

*Even with that, the Spurs haven't been to The Finals since 2007, so how exactly has this great, ultra smart, savvy strategy worked?

22. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    $250,000? I hope the Spurs fight this. It isn't Sterns place to tell a team how to utilize their players. The Spurs have done this a few times before with nothing being said from Stern. He's just pissed because it was a prime-time, nationally televised game and probably got calls from the network.

23. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

There are games in every season in which things happen in which you're likely not to see again for that season. Last night was one of those for the Lakers, as Meeks (21 points, coming off of 7 3-pointers), Jamison (a team high 33 points), and Howard (28 points, 20 boards, hit 1 3-pointer) shined in a great offensive effort (122 points, 33 team assists). The 71 points they had a half time was just 6 few than their entire total from Tuesday night's game against Indiana.

24. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    Hate to see a good game get screwed up by the refs in the last few seconds of the Grizzlies/Spurs game. They didn't call an obvious Spurs shot clock violation and then they didn't call the obvious arm grab by Ginobli, on Gay, on the subsequent play.

25. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

In a rather embarrassing loss* (by 10 points) to Orlando here in La La Land last night, Howard missed 12 out of his 21 free throw attempts, and only made 6 field goals. Plenty of blame to go around though, as the bench went back to it normal icky self (20 total points), the effort just completely collapsed in the 4th quarter (Magic outscoring the Lakers 40-26), and Pau Gasol... well, about him:

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...ryant-los-angeles-lakers-calls-pau-gasol-loss

[​IMG]

A lightning rod for Laker fans ever since the 2011 playoffs: either they want him gone or they still believe in him. I'm in the latter camp, though I can see myself changing that view later on this season if he continues to play as a lackluster as he has been of late. I would hate to do it, but damn it if it has to be done, then so be it.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...les-lakers-steve-blake-surgery-miss-6-8-weeks

Not good, duh. Nash might be back within a week or so.

*the loss was their 5th at Staples so far this season... unacceptable.