main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

8.7%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

39.1%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

4.3%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

34.8%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

13.0%
  1. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    It could be the New Orleans Pelicans as early as next season. If and when the name change happens, Jordan is on record saying that he'd be interested in taking the Hornets name back for Charlotte.

I wish Utah would give up the name Jazz and let New Orleans have it back.

DarthTunick likes this.
  2. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    New Orleans Jazz
    Charlotte Hornets
    Utah Grizzlies
    Memphis Blues

Should be the teams in my opinion.

3. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    thunder/nets game was decent. i feel like durant wasn't anywhere near his best but he still finished with 30 some points.

4. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    Yeah, I like the Memphis Blues. Back when the Grizzlies first moved here I was hoping that they would have just renovated the Pyramid for more suites and changed the name to the Pharaohs. I thought it would have been cool to stay with the Egyptian theme and thought a hieroglyph of an ancient Egyptian dunking the ball would have been sweet also.:p

But they moved to the FedEx Forum, which has it's plaza filtering out into Beale Street, so the Blues would make sense now.

But for some reason they want to stick with the Grizzlies.

5. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    Oh, and lol @ the Heat

6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    gotta lol @ the heat whenever we get the chance these days.

7. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I guess I don't feel as bad about the Blazers losing to the Wiz now, then.

8. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    GAM OVER WIZARD!!!!!

DarthIntegral likes this.
  9. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

That's a good list of names, too bad most of it will never be reality. I really like the sound of 'New Orleans Pelicans' however, and didn't know until today that it's the state bird of Louisiana, so there are obvious connections with that name.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8707196/west-side-nba-schedule-78-games

Adande makes a persuasive case here, and I would like to see something of this nature (you can make the season between 78-72 games) done in the future, even if the prospects don't look so great right now*. If baseball can move from a 154 schedule to 162 games in the early '60's, than the NBA can make this change. Another change I would love to see but know it will never happen is the first round playoff format... it's ridiculous & completely unneeded to have it be a best of 7 format. The best of 5 is just much, much better to move the playoffs along (since they now take about 37 months to complete), and it makes the actual games & series more exciting & tense.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...s-angeles-lakers-says-loves-pau-gasol-brother

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400277976

Tendinitis will keep Gasooooooooooooooooooooool out for a bit, but even when he's back on the court it will be uncertain if Gasol can return to being the elite power forward/center (or even 70-80% of that player) for the Lakers as he was from 2008-2011. Schizo, bipolar, Dr. Jekyl & Mr. Hyde, The Nutty Professors... either of these can perfectly describe this Laker team so far this season. For 3 1/2 quarters, the purple & gold controlled the tempo of tonight's game, even when the Rockets made their little runs here & there. And then POOF!, defense lapses kick in, along with inspired play by Houston, and the game ends in another Lakers road loss. Dwight* needs to be a bit more aggressive offensively, to help burden Kobe's load a bit, and Jamison needs to prove his worth in Gasol's absence.

*though Dwight made a couple of free throws in a row at one point in the 4th (and wasn't the reason per se the Lakers lost tonight), he still missed 8 of his 16 attempts. Every time he bricks one, this is what it's like* in my mind. :

*from 0:43-0:53.

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Kobe joined the 30, 000 points club.

DarthTunick likes this.
  11. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    The PELICANS? PELICANS are seriously being considered as a mascot for a team? Ugh.

12. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Why is that a bad idea?

13. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Are you a peliCAN or a peliCANT?

LloydChristmas likes this.
  14. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    Well, it is the state bird and I think it's also paying a bit of homage to a minor league baseball team that they had in New Orleans decades ago called the Pelicans.

15. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Bring on the Heat!

LloydChristmas likes this.
  16. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    so the lakers have essentially a more athletic but not as dominant shaq clone? that's certainly lol worthy.

17. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
  18. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    GAM OVER KNICK!!!!!

Texts from my phone tonight over a 20 min span:

"Felton!"
    "FELTON!!!!!"
    "FEEEEELLLTOOOOOONNNNNN"
    "NOVAK!!!!!"
    "F-E-L-T-O-N"

cc Point Given

Point Given and DarthTunick like this.
  19. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

Right I was entering my town home after work, I hear my brother ranting & cussing at the television, angry that Carmelo wasn't playing because he wanted the Knicks to be at their absolute best when they played his Heat... and the Knick won convincingly anyway. Awesome.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-t...ld-support-the-change-to-new-orleans-pelicans

I don't care if others don't like this possible change, but I love it. Why couldn't it work? Besides, there are more questionable animal themed names for North American teams (Raptors, Penguins I'm looking at you). Speaking of the New Orleans NBA franchise...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id...shots-translate-new-nba-statistic-kobe-assist

Watching** Bryant joining the 30,000 point club was quite a thrill last night because it's such a damned great & historic achievement, since only 4 players had accomplished this feat before last night... I'm sure & confident that LeBron/Durant will join Kobe and the others on this list, and those would be fascinating achievements as well. Out of the 5 current members of the 30,000, 4 of them of spent either parts*** or significant years of their career while playing for the Lakers. That is ******* niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. :D

*Watching the opening few seconds of that video made me remember of how much I miss Joel Meyers calling Laker games (he's know the Hornets play-by-play man). It's no offense to the current Laker television play-by-play man (Bill Macdonald), because I enjoy & appreciate his style... I feel Joel is simply better, and has a voice better made for this sort of work.

**It helped that the purple & gold beat the Pelicans last night (2nd road win on the season! o_O ) , because Kobe passing the 30,000 point mark would have been much less exciting in a loss. It would be like eating a great 15-20oz. steak at an insanely expensive steakhouse and then immediately (within 5 minutes of completing the meal) having massive diarrhea.

***To be fair, Malone had a cameo (the infamous '03-'04 season, which spiced up my senior year of high school I might add) with the Lakers, and spent a lot of time during that season injured with a right knee sprain.

20. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    So is Stern going to fine the Heat for not showing up for the last two games?

Juliet316 and tom like this.
  21. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    #theReturn

22. FORCE-WIELDER1

FORCE-WIELDER1 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 8, 2004
    That Heat-Knicks game was a good watch until NY ran away with it.

23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yes. at which point it became something truly wonderful.

24. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

That look of disgust/disamazement (I don't care if that's not a real world) on Jack's face there accurately sums up the Lakers season thus far. Losing in OKC this past Friday night was still annoying to watch, but at the very least there was an effort involved late in the game to make something out of it... tonight, that was practically non-existent. Utah outscored the Lakers by 20 (54-34) in the paint, and shot 54.2% from the field, helped in large part by the Lakers deciding to not play defense tonight. The purple & gold's 3-point shooting (they made 15 of them) was the only thing that kept the Jazz from winning by 15-20 points. 3-7 in their last 10 games, a terribly pedestrian 7-6 mark at home, and 2 lousy road wins in 8 road games... the Lakers will play their next 4 on the road, including a stop at MSG.

25. LloydChristmas

Sep 3, 2012
    I wonder who the Lakers are gonna take with their lottery pick.

(I take this comment back times a million if they somehow make the Finals and play the Heat)