Arena NBA discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    Irving wins the three-point shootout; fulfills Dan Gilbert's pledge to bring a championship to Cleveland.
    tom likes this.
  2. darth_gersh Force Ghost

star 6
    No Bucks in the All-Star festivities again.:(
  3. Darth Tunes SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10
  4. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    Oh, thank God, the humor was obvious. [face_dancing]
  5. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8

missed this before. it doesn't get any respect anywhere but associated with a basketball court. at least not in the past few years that i've noticed. no one really comes out and says he's a great human being or anything, but they respective the competitive insanity that pushed him to become what he was. or that might push him to try the unthinkable now.

with what tom said, that he was a shell of his former self that last season with the wizards, that might be true, but he still averaged over 20 PPG, 5 rebounds and nearly 4 assists. that's production that most teams would have taken at the position he was playing unless they had kobe or someone near that level. so while he was a shell, he was still a reasonably productive shell. i still think he could possibly average 15ish points... short term. over the course of a season, i doubt he could last that long.

regardless, it's insane. but that's part of what made jordan MJ. doing the insane and making it somehow work.
    Last edited by Trimaj, Feb 17, 2013
    Darth_Invidious likes this.
  6. Darth Tunes SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10
    [IMG]

Ahhh, Kobe & Shaq... brings back so many memories.
  7. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    so they actually ARE friends now? i thought that was just a rumor. a bad one at that.
  8. Juliet316 Streak for Colors Bonanza Winner

Game Winner
    star 7
    Well I guess with Shaq now retired...
  9. Darth Tunes SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10
  10. heels1785 Jedi Draft and Streak for Colors Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    Jerry Buss has passed away.
  11. Darth Tunes SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10
    [IMG]

(Buss speaks at the 1:14 mark)

It's going be a very emotional, extrospective day out here in Los Angeles & elsewhere throughout the league. Though the Lakers already had a foothold in the NBA/L.A. by the time Buss bought the franchise (in 1979), he very much helped & steered the Lakers onto another level, starting right away (drafting Magic Johnson, despite West's plans to draft Sidney Moncrief), changing the culture of the franchise & league in the 80's, which forever cemented the imprint the Lakers have on the social fabric of Los Angeles. Despite the imperfections & bumps during his ownership, his enthusiasm for the franchise & the city were always a constant. Rest on, Jerry.
  12. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    Kobe was filthy against Lebron in the second half. He just killed him in those 2 quarters. I'm glad got Holiday a dunk off the bench. It was really generous of Coach Stoolsample to let some of those less skilled guys like Carmelo, Noah, and Jrue play in the Heat vs Western Conference game.
    Last edited by A Chorus of Disapproval, Feb 18, 2013
  13. DT421 Force Ghost

star 5
    Now that the All-Star weekend has been endured and is thankfully over, it's time to get back to the business at hand. The Grizzlies were on a roll, with the new additions beginning to gel, and hopefully they keep that going against Detroit.
  14. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
  15. Chance the Jedi Force Ghost

star 5
  16. Darth Tunes SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10
    Last edited by DarthTunick, Feb 20, 2013
  17. Drunk Ben Kenobi Jedi Youngling

If LA can slip in to the playoffs they could take any of the current top teams in the west. The roster is too stacked to not be playing at a high level eventually.

Great tribute to Dr. Buss tonight.
  18. tom Chosen One

star 6
    uh, have you watched the lakers this year? the roster isn't stacked, it's old, injury prone, and erratic. if they do sneak into the playoffs i would be surprised to see them win a single game.
    DarthTunick and Trimaj like this.
  19. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    While I adore Doug Collins as both a player and coach and could never diminish his contributions to the 76ers, I hope we can make a coach trade before 3.
  20. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    the lakers are dead in the water this year. partially due to their coach, but also because their is like no chemistry on the team, they don't really play defense, and their just old, slow and injury prone now.
  21. Darth Tunes SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10
    http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...angeles-lakers-make-playoffs-according-report

Obviously he wouldn't say anything different, and it sure would be nice if they can, but I wouldn't bet on it.

There was some nice words said by Kobe* about Dr. Buss before the game, ending in a spotlight shown on Buss' seat in his luxury box, which remained empty throughout the entirety of the night. A win against Boston is always great, but it just meant more last night, and even if the season ends in disaster, at least this win will stand above the rest. Paul Pierce had 20-23 (I forget which) of his 26 points in the 1st half, when it was looking like he was going to have memorable, perhaps a career defining game. It was not to be. :D Having 6 Lakers score 10+ points was rather niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

[IMG]

*A memorial service was held for Buss today at the Nokia Theater (which is right across the street from Staples), and though (by nature of something like this) there was some repetitiveness among the speakers, it was a nice, touching service to watch. The speeches made by Johnny Buss (his eldest son), Frank Miriani (his longtime business partner), Jerry West, Phil Jackson & Magic Johnson were particularly emotional. Shaq had a great line in his speech: "He gave me anything I wanted. I wanted 1 extension, he gave it to me. I wanted a second extension, he gave it to me. I wanted a third extension, he traded me."... hehehehe.
    Last edited by DarthTunick, Feb 21, 2013
  22. Runjedirun Force Ghost

star 6
    Allen Houston used to own that contest Knicks never got a championship :(
  23. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    steve kerr was pretty good at it too
  24. Runjedirun Force Ghost

star 6
    Larry Bird was probably the best, but even I'm too young to really remember his playing days.
  25. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    given that kerr holds the career record for 3 pointer percentage, i'd think he might have been the best at it. possibly.