main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

10.5%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

42.1%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

5.3%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

36.8%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

5.3%
  1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Yeah - they can still make some noise. But they were a darkhorse to come out of the West. No way they can get past both OKC and San Antonio without Galo.

2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Great news about Payton, terrible news about Galo. They could still make a deepish run (conference finals maybe?), but it's going to be near impossible for them to come out of the West. I also like the streak the Knicks have been on lately, along with Carmelo's scoring output over his last 2 games... who wouldn't want to see a New York/Miami conference finals?

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-plaschke-shaq-20130403,0,1549866.column

This maybe the worst Plaschke column I've ever read it... Kobe & Shaq don't need to kiss & makeup in public as Plaschke desires. There's already a détente between the two, and the vast majority of the Laker fan base has but those Kobe/Shaq squabbles behind them. He should be smart enough to realize this.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    As long as Kobe/Shaq 'feud' can still sell to the national audience at large, he and others won't stop bringing it up.

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
  5. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    So Howard's body slams into Conley and the refs swallow the whistle. Gotcha.

6. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    That last possession was the only part of the game I was able to catch, since I spent the evening watching the Dodgers. If it makes you feel better to play the referee blame game, go ahead, because I'm sure that calls weren't made for either team throughout the whole game (as is the case with any NBA game).

7. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    It was actually a well officiated game, back and forth with a lot of intensity. You missed a great game.

And I get that the refs will usually let them play in situations like that. But that was a hard foul. You can't tell me that had the score been reversed, and had it been Kobe that was nailed by Randolph like that, that they wouldn't have blown the whistle.

That is what I get frustrated with.

8. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    tunick if it makes you feel better to watch a meaningless april baseball game when your team is scrapping for a playoff spot in the final two weeks of the season against one of the better teams in the league, gtfo. :)

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  10. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    DT421: Well, Kobe didn't get that call when Dahantay Jones fouled with about 2 seconds left in the game in Atlanta a few weeks ago, so if the situation was reversed last night, who knows. And since it's looking like a Memphis/that other L.A. pro basketball team 1st round series, I hope the Grizzlies don't repeat what happened to them last year.

tom, A Chorus of Disapproval: I normally watch a Laker game over a Dodger game at this point of the baseball season, but I didn't want to miss Zack Grenike's Dodger debut. Boo hoo... and I don't miss many Laker games during the course of the season anyway. :p

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...clippers-potential-division-title-banner-hung

I very much respect & like that Griffin feels this way... I just hope that their front office follows suit.

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    My options were to watch the Phillies Home Opener go down like the Titanic with Kansas City in the role of the glacier... or watch the (hypothetically still in a playoff race) 76ers flog Atanta like a rented mule. I chose to follow the Philly team who scored 40 in their first quarter. Although, to be fair, the Phillies loss could almost have been a basketball score. [face_plain]

12. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    The Phillies ruined my birthday in 2008... **** 'em.

13. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    wow, watching lakers/clippers and they just showed the stat that dwight howard has missed more free throws this year than steve nash has missed in his entire 17 year career.

also the knicks look legit right now.

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  14. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I love this team.

15. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

I'm on board with Van Gundy... that stat is the most amazing/fascinating stat I've heard throughout this NBA season. Wow. And today's game is a perfect primer for how a Lakers playoff game* will look like this year: in it for many minutes, but the wear & tear will greatly effect the team down the stretch, since D'Antoni's rotation is very short. That other L.A. pro team is mere minutes away from a season sweep of the Lakers, which would be the first such occurrence in their 25+ history in this city. Damn it.

*Assuming they get there.

16. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

Such a deflating afternoon.

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    The 76ers were knocked out of the playoff race by the Heat... while Wade and Bosh sat out. [face_plain]

I cannot wait to see what this team looks like when Bynum actually plays at center. Our starting 5 did not play a single game this season. Not one.

18. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  19. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Bernard King finally made it to the Hall of Fame. So happy!

20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    WTF was that forth quarter tonight? Seriously? Just pathetic. I can't tell if the Cavaliers are trying to collect ping pong balls or get Scott fired. Hopefully not the later, because I honestly don't know who they could find add a better option.

21. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Finally back as division champions. [face_dancing]

22. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

30/23... the first number represents Kobe's point total for the whole game, the 2nd number represents his scoring output in the 4th quarter, a crazed effort that ended in what the Lakers needed: victory. Pau showed signs of his former self, while Meeks/Jamison/Howard carried the rest of the load (MWP played only 15 minutes). A half game now separates the Lakers from the Jazz for that 8th spot, the Lakers having 4 games* left in the season, Utah having 3. For a season that's had so much drama, it's perfect for the season to end like this.

*Their next game is tonight in Portland.
    [face_plain]

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Why the long face? Portland is in a downspin. They've lost 8 in a row, they have nothing to play for, and the Lakers can take control of their playoff destiny with a win. In reality, this should be a win for the Lakers.

24. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    They could play the role of spoilers for the Lakers.

25. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Because of these numbers: 18 losses for the Lakers out of their last 22 regular season games in Portland, 5-10 this season in the 2nd game of a back-to-back set, and the fact that they haven't swept a set of back-to-back games yet, with tonight being the last chance for them to do. Portland may start of bunch of rookies tonight, but with Kobe's heavy work load of late, and the inconsistency of the team (and their age issues), a loss tonight wouldn't be surprising. And the crowd at the Rose Garden co-shares* the title of being the best anti-Laker crowd in the NBA... they should be on their A+ game tonight.

*with the folks in Sacramento.