main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

10.5%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

42.1%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

5.3%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

36.8%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

5.3%
  1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

I was incredibly happy to have been proven wrong last night! Kobe (48 minutes played, scored 47, while coming coming close to a triple double- 8 boards, 5 assists), Pau (23 & 9) and Dwight (20 & 10) dominated for the Lakers, who had to overcome sloppy play (and that's being nice) to start the game in order to win in Portland, a rarity, ending their regular season slate of road games by finally sweeping a set of back-to-backs. There was a surprising large contingent of Laker fans at the Rose Garden, loud enough to get several Kobe/Laker chants going in the 4th quarter. A full game up on Utah with 3 to go. :D Not to be forgotten, Damian Lilliard had one hell of a great game (38 & 9)... the future is very bright for Portland with him at the point.

2. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I apologize for making this my 3rd post in a row in this thread, but...

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...geles-lakers-probably-tore-achilles-team-says

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-plaschke-lakers-20130413,0,4928998.column

Honestly, even with Kobe in the lineup, the Lakers would have a hell of time in the first round (especially against Oklahoma City), but now? Forget it. Sure, Pau has been playing inspired of late (had a rather niiiiiice triple double last night*: 26/11/10), and Dwight still has quite the presence in the paint, but that's about it. The team can get by for these last 2 regular season games, but (obviously) the playoffs are whole different animal. Is D'Antoni fully to blame here? I'm not so sure yet. Despite the humiliation of the '03-'04 season being technically worse** (getting upset in The Finals), this 2012-2013 campaign is going to go down as much more of a disaster.

*Not to be forgotten about last night: Klay Thompson (25 points, many of them scored in the 2nd half) & Stephen Curry (47 points, 22 of them scored in the 1st quarter... wow!).

**Not the greatest way to begin my last week of high school either (game 5 of the '04 Finals happening the week of my graduation). :p

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Firing Mike Brown and having the team adjust to a whole new system with D'antoni probably didn't help.

4. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Hiring D'Antoni probably didn't help. Remember what he did to Amare.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  5. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Who knew his 8 man rotations would like, burn out his players.

Trimaj and PRENNTACULAR like this.
  6. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I still hold out hope the lakers miss the playoffs. It's good for the league.

7. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i wanted them to miss the playoffs too, but not because kobe got hurt.

Juliet316 and PRENNTACULAR like this.
  8. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    man, word is now that he has a probable torn achilles, likely to miss an entire year if not done for good. sorry tunes, prenn, other laker fans. i'm an unabashed kobe hater but polarizing figures like him are good for the game and this really sucks.

it seems like this will increase the likelihood of howard bolting in the offseason as well. who knows? maybe the lakers won't even pursue him very aggressively. it may be time to think about clearing cap space and shifting into a full-on rebuilding mode.

9. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Gary Vitti (head athletic trainer for the Lakers) says the plan is to get Kobe back by Opening Night, and given Kobe's relentlessness, I don't doubt at all that his return could happen that way, but I'm not going to pretend that it's going to turn out that way... there's a very real possibility that Kobe can miss a significant portion of next season. Yikes. And I realize Howard is going to be through quite the mind **** this offseason, knowing that the pressure is going to increase greatly if he remains with the Lakers, but Kupchak & Co. have got to re-sign him. Better to run the offense/ the team through him (and Gasol) next season than any other option (that I can think of right now). Alas, that will be just one of the many story lines from now until October (and beyond). Goddamnit.

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  11. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    You don't think the Lakers should amnesty Kobe, Tunes?

12. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    CBS Sports Radio says Christmas is a likely timetable for Kobe's return. I say no hurry. With an injury like that, you don't want to risk reaggravating it. Just look at what the Bulls have done with Derrick Rose.

13. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

No. :p

14. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    God even uses Kobe Bryant to show his hatred of Cleveland.

15. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i'm torn between how much i hate the lakers and how awesome it would be if they put it all together and won a title without kobe. their defense tonight was relentless, felt like playoff intensity.

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Reports are saying that Doug Collins is out after the 76ers' season ends on Wednesday. Pity. He had nothing to do with the unfortunate way this season's major moves backfired. Literally... nothing to DO with the unable players who were all injured. Gonna be a sad day. That guy is heckuva coach and is beloved as a player here.

On a similar note, it's gonna be great when Kobe flies home to Philly this summer in order to rehab go bowling with Bynum.

18. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    So does that mean Collins will be back on TNT for these upcoming playoffs? :D

tom: Last night's game was definitely one of the most intense, emotional (the Staples Center crowd) regular season games of recent memory, with Howard (26 & 17) & Blake (23 points) carrying the team (Jamison's 13 points off the bench shouldn't be forgotten). Pau had a terrible night offensively (3-17 from the field), but did rack up 17 boards. If Utah loses tonight, then the 8th seed is clinched for the Lakers, but if not, it will come down to Wednesday night. As for San Antonio, I was impressed with how much DeJuan Blair has lost, and seeing Duncan dunk a couple of times was bizarre, but thrilling in a way. Also, Popovich (a man who I used to loathe, but have come to highly admire & respect) employed the Hack-a-Howard strategy a few times in the 2nd half, leading to one particular courtside regular to leer at him:

[​IMG].

:p

19. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i'm annoyed that nba tv is showing grizz/mavs instead of that jazz/wolves game.

20. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    here are some pretty easy ways to watch it online tom.

21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    online streams are usually terrible though. i am spoiled and have to watch basketball in high definition on my 50 inch television. :p

DarthTunick and Juliet316 like this.
  22. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    *rolls eyes* of course...

i found some that are pretty decent. not compared to THAT, but still more than watchable.

23. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    It took a couple of weeks into the season before DirecTV got the new Lakers cable station, so I had to rely on online streams for those Laker games that weren't on national television... it was tolerable for that period of time, but if I had to have done it for the whole season, I would have lost my mind.

:p

24. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    It all comes down to tonight for my beloved Lakers. The scenarios:

Utah wins at Memphis, Lakers lose to Houston= Lakers miss the playoffs. [face_frustrated]

Utah loses at Memphis, Lakers lose to Houston= Lakers make the playoffs, get the 8th seed. [face_relieved]

Utah wins at Memphis, Lakers wins against Houston= Lakers make the playoffs, get the 7th seed. :D

7th seed= 1st round series against San Antonio... a chance at a series win. [face_praying]

8th seed= 1st round series against Oklahoma City... series to end in 5, in favor of OKC. [face_sigh]

25. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    From Memphis to L.A.,

Your welcome. :)

DarthTunick likes this.