Arena NBA discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

1. epic Ex Mod / RSA

star 7
    Who knew his 8 man rotations would like, burn out his players.
    Trimaj and PRENNTACULAR like this.
  2. darth_gersh Force Ghost

star 6
    I still hold out hope the lakers miss the playoffs. It's good for the league.
  3. tom Chosen One

star 6
    i wanted them to miss the playoffs too, but not because kobe got hurt.
    Juliet316 and PRENNTACULAR like this.
  4. tom Chosen One

star 6
    man, word is now that he has a probable torn achilles, likely to miss an entire year if not done for good. sorry tunes, prenn, other laker fans. i'm an unabashed kobe hater but polarizing figures like him are good for the game and this really sucks.

it seems like this will increase the likelihood of howard bolting in the offseason as well. who knows? maybe the lakers won't even pursue him very aggressively. it may be time to think about clearing cap space and shifting into a full-on rebuilding mode.
  5. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    Gary Vitti (head athletic trainer for the Lakers) says the plan is to get Kobe back by Opening Night, and given Kobe's relentlessness, I don't doubt at all that his return could happen that way, but I'm not going to pretend that it's going to turn out that way... there's a very real possibility that Kobe can miss a significant portion of next season. Yikes. And I realize Howard is going to be through quite the mind **** this offseason, knowing that the pressure is going to increase greatly if he remains with the Lakers, but Kupchak & Co. have got to re-sign him. Better to run the offense/ the team through him (and Gasol) next season than any other option (that I can think of right now). Alas, that will be just one of the many story lines from now until October (and beyond). Goddamnit.
    Last edited by DarthTunick, Apr 13, 2013
  6. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
  7. LloydChristmas Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    You don't think the Lakers should amnesty Kobe, Tunes?
  8. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
    CBS Sports Radio says Christmas is a likely timetable for Kobe's return. I say no hurry. With an injury like that, you don't want to risk reaggravating it. Just look at what the Bulls have done with Derrick Rose.
  9. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10

No. :p
  10. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    God even uses Kobe Bryant to show his hatred of Cleveland.
  11. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
  12. tom Chosen One

star 6
    i'm torn between how much i hate the lakers and how awesome it would be if they put it all together and won a title without kobe. their defense tonight was relentless, felt like playoff intensity.
  13. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    Reports are saying that Doug Collins is out after the 76ers' season ends on Wednesday. Pity. He had nothing to do with the unfortunate way this season's major moves backfired. Literally... nothing to DO with the unable players who were all injured. Gonna be a sad day. That guy is heckuva coach and is beloved as a player here.

On a similar note, it's gonna be great when Kobe flies home to Philly this summer in order to rehab go bowling with Bynum.
  14. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    So does that mean Collins will be back on TNT for these upcoming playoffs? :D

@tom: Last night's game was definitely one of the most intense, emotional (the Staples Center crowd) regular season games of recent memory, with Howard (26 & 17) & Blake (23 points) carrying the team (Jamison's 13 points off the bench shouldn't be forgotten). Pau had a terrible night offensively (3-17 from the field), but did rack up 17 boards. If Utah loses tonight, then the 8th seed is clinched for the Lakers, but if not, it will come down to Wednesday night. As for San Antonio, I was impressed with how much DeJuan Blair has lost, and seeing Duncan dunk a couple of times was bizarre, but thrilling in a way. Also, Popovich (a man who I used to loathe, but have come to highly admire & respect) employed the Hack-a-Howard strategy a few times in the 2nd half, leading to one particular courtside regular to leer at him:

[IMG].

:p
    Last edited by DarthTunick, Apr 15, 2013
  15. tom Chosen One

star 6
    i'm annoyed that nba tv is showing grizz/mavs instead of that jazz/wolves game.
  16. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    here are some pretty easy ways to watch it online tom.
  17. tom Chosen One

star 6
    online streams are usually terrible though. i am spoiled and have to watch basketball in high definition on my 50 inch television. :p
    DarthTunick and Juliet316 like this.
  18. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    *rolls eyes* of course...

i found some that are pretty decent. not compared to THAT, but still more than watchable.
  19. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    It took a couple of weeks into the season before DirecTV got the new Lakers cable station, so I had to rely on online streams for those Laker games that weren't on national television... it was tolerable for that period of time, but if I had to have done it for the whole season, I would have lost my mind.

:p
  20. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    It all comes down to tonight for my beloved Lakers. The scenarios:

Utah wins at Memphis, Lakers lose to Houston= Lakers miss the playoffs. [face_frustrated]

Utah loses at Memphis, Lakers lose to Houston= Lakers make the playoffs, get the 8th seed. [face_relieved]

Utah wins at Memphis, Lakers wins against Houston= Lakers make the playoffs, get the 7th seed. :D

7th seed= 1st round series against San Antonio... a chance at a series win. [face_praying]

8th seed= 1st round series against Oklahoma City... series to end in 5, in favor of OKC. [face_sigh]
  21. DT421 Force Ghost

star 5
    From Memphis to L.A.,

Your welcome. :)
    DarthTunick likes this.
  22. tom Chosen One

star 6
    the jazz losing means we'll have four compelling first round series in the western conference. how fun is warriors/nuggets going to be? i hope it's lakers/spurs and rockets/thunder but the other way around could be fun too. celtics/knicks is really the only eastern conference matchup that seems like it will be very interesting, but nets/bulls could get good if it turns into a long series.
  23. DT421 Force Ghost

star 5
    I won't be surprised if Atlanta beats the Pacers in round one.
  24. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    I think Golden State/Denver will be the most entertaining series.

Well...aside from video footage of the 76ers emptying their lockers, Collins holding up 2 middle fingers on his way out the door and Bynum reinjuring his surgically repaired knees by playing Wii after too many bong hits.
  25. tom Chosen One

star 6
    got what i wanted. the rockets don't have enough weapons or enough defense to beat the thunder, but it will be fun to watch harden try to single-handedly beat his old team. meanwhile, i don't expect the lakers to beat the spurs but it's a much better matchup for them and should be competitive and fun to watch.