main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

8.7%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

39.1%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

4.3%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

34.8%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

13.0%
  1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I feel so odd in rooting for the Celtics to win a game, but I'm doing just that. :p

2. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    well, if i were the thunder fans i'd be worrying about the same thing inty. very seriously, because the rockets are kinda getting it. of the two, i could see the rockets coming back from 3-0 because of the injury to westbrook. then add in how close it was even when westbrook WAS still playing, i mean with the last few games being decided by 8 points, and the rockets all having a lead in the fourth in the last three games? this could very easily be the rockets 3-1 instead of the thunder right now.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Listening to it again, your about half - right Wocky, he didn't slam Jason Collins personally or call him degragatory names. So in that way, it's not quite on the level of what got Rob Parker fired (as that WAS a slam against RGIII personally). However:

I think if he had just stopped at around 1:10, not much would be made about it. He stated he has his opinion, knows others have theirs and the old 'agree to disagree' and all that. However, I think it's the fact that he did go further after 1:10 and said that he thought that homosexuality is a sin and that he thought nobody could be happy living a openly 'homosexual lifestyle' (his word usage), homosexuallty was an 'open rebellion against God,' and basically implying that anybody who is gay is going to hell, is what's got people stirred up. So while no, he didn't use slurs or anything openly degragatory about Jason Collins himself, I think there was a line crossed in this interview.

4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i think what the thunder are missing most is westbrook's swagger. the rest of the team feeds off it. right now their role players are playing with no confidence.

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    tom nailed it. Westbrook's swagger is clearly a massive presence currently missing. The energy he manages to bring out in every player around him is astonishing and they just don't seem to have an ounce of it without him on the court. They could possibly be upset in every definition of the word in this round or the next.

DarthTunick likes this.
  6. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    with how badly they're getting manhandled right now, i could definitely see it being this series. which is kind of sad really, but opens the door for the grizzlies to possibly make it to the finals. well, either way they have a decent shot at it at this point if they can close out the clippers.

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    In Philly, we have been watching video of Andrew Bynum using his recently surgically repaired knees to Salsa dance in Spain while the team he never dressed for are golfing.

So, I decided to root for the Nets.

I may as well just become a fan of the Washington Generals at this point...

8. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    good for asik making the hack asik thing not working out. i really would like to see the rockets pull this series out. it's been pretty entertaining so far, regardless of the injury to westbrook.

that really sucks ACoD. and bynum is really proving my personal opinion of him throughout this.

EDIT

so with that thing that shaq just caught... does that suggest that durant just isn't a leader and westbrook is?

9. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i think the thunder still have a better team than the rockets even without westbrook, but they are in real trouble if they can't find some kind of spark. and are we sure that kevin martin isn't still collecting a check from the rockets?

and yeah, westbrook was the leader of this team. durant has said as much. i think durant could fill that role but he never had to because westbrook never missed a single game until this series. now he's suddenly thrust into that role and i think it's a bit unfair to expect him to be instantly good at it. again, if the thunder can get by the rockets (and there's certainly no guarantee that they will at this point) this series being extended can only be good for them going forward. they are clearly struggling to find their identity without their leader. they'll need to find it if they want to go deep in this postseason.

10. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    So who exactly said that Durant could take on LeBron when he can't even beat the Rockets?

11. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    no one? all anyone said is that he's better than kobe.

DarthTunick and tom like this.
  12. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yeah, i don't think anyone who follows basketball actually thinks there's anyone on lebron's level right now. but it's also a ridiculous question. durant couldn't beat an entire nba team by himself? yeah he must be awful. his only teammate who showed up tonight was reggie jackson. last i checked basketball was still a team sport.

DarthTunick likes this.
  13. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I should be past the point to which I think of the baseball legend whenever I hear/read Reggie Jackson's name in an NBA discussion, but I'm not.

:p

14. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    So would the Knicks wearing funeral colors be on par with the Heat (Lebron, Wade, Bosh) mocking Dirk Nowitski's cold in their 2011 NBA Finals matchup with the Mavs?

15. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
  16. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Durant is easily the second best player in the league but the Thunder's struggles since Westbrook has gone down shows, to me, just how far ahead LeBron is to everyone else.

New_York_Jedi, Trimaj and tom like this.
  17. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Yeah LeBron totally got it done without a Westbrook in Cleveland!

Oh wait.

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    actually thinking about what lebron had with him in cleveland, i'm shocked he even made it as far as he did. going by advanced analytics that finals team he had was one of the worst to actually make it that far pretty much ever.

19. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    welcome back, andrew bogut.

20. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Faried's 4th foul really effected the course of that 3rd quarter, and Golden State seized on the opportunity. Curry's 4 3-pointers were a delight to see.

21. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    i'd say that series is kinda kaput at this point.

22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    haha, not so fast.

23. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    That 4 point quick turnaround (Denver's steal of the GS inbound pass) a few possessions ago for the Nuggets was rather ridiculous.

24. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    warriors' inexperience showing a bit. lots of nervous possessions.

25. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Bill Simmons@BillSimmons
    6m

GSW fell apart late 3 different times in this series - sloppy play, poor decisions, shaky coaching. That ain't working against San Antonio.

We shall see. :p I'd like to thank Denver for making that 4th quarter more entertaining & thrilling than it originally looked like it was going to be.