main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

10.5%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

42.1%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

5.3%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

36.8%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

5.3%
  1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    76ers just hired Sam Hinkie from the Rockets as President and GM. Aside from what I know about his salary cap skillz, what can anyone tell me about this guy?

2. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Some really questionable calls in the last 3 minutes. Bulls getting jobbed.

LloydChristmas likes this.
  3. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    good god how do you stop steph curry?

4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    is that... they're playing david lee's music! haha.

5. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    yea, kinda crazy that david lee is playing given what happened to him. no clue how he's doing it.

6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    guess it makes sense that a guy named green is apparently his kryptonite. he needs to attack the rim or get something in transition instead of forcing these jumpers.

7. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    Spurs are out hustling the Warriors right now.

8. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i suppose the spurs are now overwhelming favorites again. it's funny how in the playoffs the conversation so often changes 180 degrees from game to game.

Point Given likes this.
  9. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    i really don't know how Rose can sit on the bench and watch this Bulls team be this close to the Heat - without him, Deng and Hinrich, obviously outmanned and tired.

he doesn't need to come straight in, run the offense, and put up 25/8. even 15 minutes off the bench would help these guys, give Nate a rest, and provide some kind of decoy on offence. it's strange.

still proud of the team for matching this Heat squad who still need help from the officials to put us away. still, we let ourselves down with poor free throw shooting and letting Cole continue his hot streak (although that's been helped by a lack of Hinrich on defence).

also, Boozer's defence is just attrocious. if we could just merge Boozer and Gibson we'd have a hell of a player.

LloydChristmas and tom like this.
  10. Lord Revan

Lord Revan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 15, 2013
    makes you look at Rose in a different light.

11. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Hopefully the Grizz protect home court today.

12. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    a completely healthy bulls team would be the best bet to beat the heat i think. it's a shame we haven't gotten a chance to see that these last two years. to expect rose to come back in the playoffs, in the middle of this kind of a series, without having played at game speed in a year is a little unfair though.

Trimaj and DarthTunick like this.
  13. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    not really. not everyone is kobe. the man is insane.

one thing you have to think about in this instance is what happens when someone comes back too soon. you have gilbert arenas again, and i don't think anyone wants rose to get hurt again. you also have to think about the mental side of things. if, as i personally suspect, he simply does not trust his knee yet, he's not going to be playing basketball, he's going to be thinking it. and his knee. he's going to avoid putting any kind of anything on his knee. he wouldn't be anywhere near as effective. just look at tom brady the year after he came back. he just wasn't quite right the first half of that season. or look at carson palmer the year after he came back from the 2005 injury. again, he wasn't right, and he wasn't ever close to the same player. you don't push your franchise players to come back before they're there mentally. you just don't.

oh, and not everyone heals at the same rate either. david lee wasn't even supposed to be walking yet. seriously, he should still be on crutches or in bed. he was supposed to be walking weeks from now. instead he was walking three days after the injury. people's bodies just respond to injuries differently. take brett favre, dude got hurt umpteen billion times, and a few of them should have put him down for months. yet because of whatever in his genetics he was able to come back and not only play, but play effectively a week later, or two if they happened to have a bi.

so no. it doesn't make me look at rose in a different light. he's not only trying to make sure he can BE derrick rose, he's not doing something that could put him in a situation that if he's thinking too much he could hurt his knee again because he's catering to it, or end up hurting his other knee because he's pushing that one too hard. when you get injured by doing something you've done, in his case, probably nearly a million times, it lurks back there until you've done it even more. and you wonder, could it happen again? i mean, he wasn't hit, his knee just blew out. same thing with whatever that college player's name was, when his leg just snapped in half. he was just jumping. that's going to be lurking back there for a long time. not everyone heals the same way, physically or mentally. to assume everyone should be able to do what lee, favre, or kobe can do is not even remotely fair.

14. Lord Revan

Lord Revan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 15, 2013
    i've lost all respect for Rose, but that's jmo.

15. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    as someone with a torn acl i'm afraid i can't share your sentiment at all.

KnightWriter likes this.
  16. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    i haven't lost respect for him, but i am frustrated given how close we could be to a championship with him on the floor.

17. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    Warriors tie the series up at two a piece.

18. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Wow, they're on a roll right now. Take out that collapse in Game 1, and they'd be one win away from the Conf. Finals.

19. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    I agree they should be up 3-1. It's like a different guy steps up all the time for them.

20. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
  21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    eh, i already said it earlier in the thread but i hate this what if game. who's to say if the warriors hold on in game 1 the spurs don't come out with renewed intensity and a sense of desperation and take game 2. who's to say if the warriors don't blow game 1 that they don't have the toughness and resilience to somehow pull this one out. maybe the spurs are up 3-1 if the warriors hang on in game 1. not saying it's likely but who knows? in any case they're two closely matched teams and it's a great series. let's just enjoy it.

22. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    this is also why i hate, on deal or no deal, when someone makes the deal, they proceed to continue the game to see "what might have happened". YOU CANNOT REPLICATE THE SUBTLE INTRICACIES OF CAUSE AND EFFECT, DEAL OR NO DEAL PRODUCERS

PRENNTACULAR and tom like this.
  23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Juliet316 likes this.
  24. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Looks like we have the NBA All-Defensive Teams released today:

http://www.nba.com/2013/news/05/13/all-defensive-team-official-release/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpts

I agree with most of the selections, but I am absolutely puzzled how Tyson Chandler could tie in 1st team votes for center. He was DPOY last year and yet he only got All Defensive Second Team. And New York's defense is actually worse this year than last year, so this makes no sense whatsoever. Also, Chris Paul's defense is overrated. He seems to get First Team only because he leads the league in steals; Eric Bledsoe does most of the heavy lifting defensively at his position (in fact, I heard based on advanced stats that the Clippers' bench is far superior on defense than the starters, FWIW). And I think Roy Hibbert, cornerstone of the league's best defense, got totally shafted in not making either team. He should have made it over Noah, who missed 16 games this season; Hibbert missed only three (but I suppose Chicago needs a rep, and Noah is probably the team's best defender). Ideally, we'd get a tie between Hibbert and Noah rather than Noah and Chandler.

Second team looks solid, but I'd switch Mike Conley with Chris Paul on the First Team. Marc Gasol deserves to be on the second team, despite somehow winning DPOY; it wasn't a bad choice, but I think Hibbert, Paul George, or even LeBron James deserves DPOY over him. Avery Bradley's defense is also somewhat overrated, as he is actually behind Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce in overall defensive ability this season. But Boston probably deserves a representative, so I won't argue against him. Thankfully, Kobe Bryant doesn't make either team for the first time since 2005, and rightfully so, since I don't remember him playing very good defense since 2010.

25. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    well... the heat/bulls series seems over.