main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

10.5%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

42.1%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

5.3%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

36.8%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

5.3%
  1. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Grizzlies with a great come from behind win tonight!

DarthTunick and PRENNTACULAR like this.
  2. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    We could very well see a Grizzlies/Warriors WCF. Whodathunkit?

DarthTunick likes this.
  3. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Who is this "we" you speak of?

Rhonda, have a good trip back in time:

Randolph's fadeaway shot toward the end is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen.

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Pau Gasol@paugasol
    2h
    Big time play after big time play @MarcGasol !!! #bothendsofthefloor

The excitement/enthusiasm/support that Pau has for his brother is one of the best qualities that shines through his Twitter account (of course I follow him via Twitter. :p ). A possible Golden State/Memphis conference finals would be tremendously good for the league. Though I wouldn't have an inherent issue with either team making The Finals, I think Memphis would fare much better against Miami than Golden State.

5. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Why does this bother you so much? I mean, I know it's prima facie silly, but it's human nature to use pronouns rather than laboriously saying the teams' names over and over and over. (And using "they" for both teams won't do for obvious reasons).

Great to see Derek Scumbag Fisher throw away the game, and the Thunder's season. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

6. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Derek Fisher, a scumbag? Please.

7. Condition2SQ

Sep 5, 2012
    Link

8. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Boo hoo, Cuban.

9. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I always say "they" or the team name. "We" do not play the games. "They" do.

DarthTunick likes this.
  10. Condition2SQ

Sep 5, 2012
    Of course. But you pedantically point this out as if you were presenting some sort of heretofore unearthed insight. When people say "we", it carries no pretension that they fancy themselves part of the team; it just makes talking about the game so much easier.

PRENNTACULAR and LloydChristmas like this.
  11. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    My brother has a habit of saying 'we' whenever he wants to celebrate a big Miami win, which is only a part of the list that annoys me about how he watches/roots for his NBA team.

:p

12. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    that doesn't make derek fisher a scumbag. that makes him wanting to spend time with his family while still playing, something easier to do from OKC. i mean really... scumbag is a term normally reserved for abusive parents/spouses and criminals.

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Not to me. If I thought so, I wouldn't mind so much.

14. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    God forbid a guy wants to play for a contender.

15. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    KW, I will have you know that my watching a dodgy stream from England at god awful hours of the morning was the ONLY reason the Bulls won that first game. [face_not_talking]

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    There's wanting to play for a contender and then there's being head of the player's union and using technicalities to lie to your employer to get to play for a contender.

17. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    The way the Grizzlies are closing out games-- and the fact they have 3 starters on All-Defense squads-- makes me cautiously optimistic about their chances against Miami.

Still holding out hope that the Knicks take them out. Or the Pacers. Or the Spurs, if they go for a rematch of '06 against LeBron. Or the Warriors. Or the Bulls too, I guess. Or a ragtag tribe of Ewoks. I mean really anything at this point.

xblackout and PRENNTACULAR like this.
  18. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Grizzlies, you are our only hope.

19. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Well, not to jinx things for the Grizzlies, and I may be a total homer here, but I think the Grizzlies are the only team from the West that can give the Heat all they'd want to handle in the Finals. Golden State would get overwhelmed, the Spurs would fade away like that cell phone that just won't hold a charge and the Thunder need a minor miracle just to make it to the Finals in the state they're in at this point.

I think it would be an interesting balance of the Heat's perimeter play vs the Grizzlies interior game.

DarthTunick likes this.
  20. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    I ******* hate J.R. Smith

heels1785 likes this.
  21. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Frank Vogel is one hell of a basketball coach.

22. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Yeah. If WE (KnightWriter) lose to the Pacers, I'm rooting for them the rest of the way (unless it's against the Grizzlies)

23. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I always appreciate new analogies, and the phone one is one of the best I've heard in a long time.

More on point, Randolph will have to be dealt with, and I expect that he'll pick up his gameas the playoffs go on.

24. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    disappointing loss for us tonight. really wish we could have played better, but we'll just have to hope we can bounce back when we head back to oakland.

KnightWriter likes this.
  25. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    My only concern with Miami facing Indiana and then facing Memphis is that Indiana might serve up a "test" of the type of play Memphis will play. Not that it's going to be the exact same thing, but it's much more centered on the interior play than if they were to play a team like the Knicks in the Conference Finals. I worry that Indiana will give them a taste of what that physical, interior, defensive basketball is like in a playoff series, win a game or two, but allow the Heat to make the right adjustments and be ready for Memphis come NBA Finals time. LeBron has just become so much better at adapting to opponents, that it's kind of scary.

Initially, I thought Indiana had the best chance of anyone to knock out Miami. And I was only giving them like a 5% chance of doing so. But, that was mainly because I didn't think Memphis had a shot of getting to the finals. I'd give Memphis about an 8% chance.

In any case, I'm already prepared for the Re-Heat ...

tom likes this.