main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

8.7%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

39.1%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

4.3%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

34.8%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

13.0%
  1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    And if Philly somehow doesn't land the #1 overall pick, or somehow does better than expected this season, then what? :p

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Then, 2 seasons in a row we destroyed our lineup to trade for players with bad knees who didn't/who-knows-if-he-will play. Why couldn't we trade Turner?

3. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i just can't believe memphis drafted someone named joffrey. clearly no one in their front office watches game of thrones.

4. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    A shameful action indeed.

5. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I will take the Bucks pick. I know noting about him, but hey IT'S ALL COOOOOLLLLL!

6. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Classic drama... potentially; We'll see if this potential feud grows at all.

7. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    His retirement date is Feb. 1, so this was pretty much his last offical function, barring any players/Mark Cuban wanting Stern to fine them one more time before he goes.

8. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    hasn't he done that kind of thing before? i seem to remember a clip of him coming out for a draft and getting booed, and he just put his hand to his ear acting like he couldn't really hear them because they weren't being loud enough. which was one of the reasons simmons refers to him as the notorious david stern.

9. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    Yessssssss, we seriously have to do this!

10. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    He's retiring in the middle of a season? That seems strange. Oh well, I'm sure he's thought it through a lot more than I have....which is all of three seconds.

11. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

Ooooooooooooooooooh...

12. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Well, the Houston Rockets have dumped Thomas Robinson, sending him to Portland for a pound of beef jerky, a weekend at a coastal rental home, and a gift card to the Olive Garden. Thus, Houston has enough cap space for a full max contract offer to Dwight Howard.

I really think Howard ends up in Houston. And that is then a hell of a team.

Also, the Knicks agreed to a trade today to pick up Andrea Bargnani. Seems to be good for both teams.

13. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    And the Clippers trade for Doc Rivers, even if it didn't yield them KG and Pierce, does allow them to keep Chris Paul if the ESPN reports are to be believed.

14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    after the last two seasons, i'm not convinced that howard brings that much more to the table than asik. and those are two guys that would be really awkward to play at the same time. i know they're hellbent on getting him, but this seems like a weird fit for the rockets.

15. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the Lakers PR campaign about Howard continues...

16. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    yea, i'm with tom. i'd probably rather have asik at this point. unless there is indisputable evidence that his back is fixed, and he's going to be what he was before it started bugging him so much. which i have serious doubts will happen.

17. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    I might rather have Asik at his contract than Howard at the Max, but Dwight still put up pretty good stats.

Per 36:

Dwight: 17-12.5-1.4.-1.1-2.5 on 58% from the field
    Asik: 12-14-1.1-.7-1.3 on 54%

Advanced stats like PER (19.4 v. 14.9) and WS/48 (.134 v. 1.08) back up that a diminished Howard is still the better player. I'm not Asik will get much better or Howard much worse, so I can see the logic behind Morey's gamble, even if I may not be willing to give Dwight a max right now.

18. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Man I wish the Knicks would stop trading away future first round picks like they were candy.

19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Brad Stevens to Celtics.

I like it.

20. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    A year older than Paul Pierce and a year younger than Garnett.

Like Kidd though, nice to see some young blood thrown into the coaching mix.

21. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    While I'm sad to see him leave the college game, I think he can do some good things in Boston.

22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    lots of howard to the warriors talk. it would have to be a sign and trade though, and it sounds like the warriors would likely have to part with klay. really not sure how i feel about that.

23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    wow, love the iggy move. and suddenly barnes and thompson look slightly more expendable if they do have a chance to land howard.

24. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    howard to rockets apparently. still not sure i like the fit.

25. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    This isn't Prenn the Laker fan talking, but Prenn the basketball fan. I think that Howard's best chances at winning multiple championships lies with the Lakers. In 2014 they are going to have tons of cap space to surround him with elite talent, and in addition to that no franchise has the cut-throat title pursuit legacy that the Lakers have. They have proven time and again that they will do whatever they need to do to get a championship, and if Howard chooses Huston over that, I think it cements my opinion of him being short-sighted. Or, at least, not valuing championships as much as other things.

That said, as a Laker fan, I would prefer a sign and trade with the Warriors, netting us Klay, Harrison, and Bogut, even to us re-signing Dwight.