Arena NBA discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

1. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
    Hah, the Heat's plan to avoid a possible match with the Nets in Round 2 has been foiled! Now the Nets have locked up the #6 seed, so that matchup can still happen!
  2. Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    OKC has to play Memphis again! LOL! Poor Durant.
  3. LloydChristmas Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Posting to acknowledge the playoffs starting, keeping my mouth shut about everything because I'm superstitious.
    Last edited by LloydChristmas, Apr 16, 2014
  4. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    Lamar Odom has signed with the Knicks.
  5. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    Though tonight was technically their final game, it was hard to notice as the Lakers season ended back in December. 27-55... a new franchise* record for futility! When my brother's kids ask about this decades from now, I can regale with them stories of Robert Sacre's dance moves, Swaggy P's 3-point shooting, KAMANMANIA, and Mike D'Antoni's various looks of disgust & vigorous time out calling. It'll be great!

Aside from thinking about the possibility of having a top-5 draft pick, what's kept me (relatively) sane basketball wise has been this:

[IMG]

[IMG].

The numbers** are a bit skewed for some of them, considering the team's terrible play, but it's an overall semi-accurate mark of how this usually plays out; there wasn't a single game without at least 1 in attendance, so that was nice.

Totals!:

Jack: 11 games attended, 30 missed

Lou Adler: 10 games attended, 31 missed

Yori Saneyoshi: 29 games attended, 12 missed

Kay Harrington: 24 games attended, 17 missed

"Kurt Cobain": 8 games attended, 33 missed (he's off next season's list :p )

Norm Pattiz: 24 games attended, 17 missed

"Tim Conway": 29 games attended, 12 missed

Joe Smith & his wife- 14 games attended together, 25 missed; 2 games Joe attended by himself, 2 games in which they both were absent

Avi Lerner: 24 games attended, 17 missed

Patrick Soon-Shiong: 30 games attended, 11 missed

And the most faithful of the bunch this season...

[IMG]

Dyan Cannon: 33 games attended, 8 missed

There's likely to be new additions for next season's list. The hobbies I keep... :p

*[IMG]

From a couple of days ago... clearly in better spirits than many of the fans. :p

**I more than realize that 1) Nobody may give a ****, and 2) Many of you will likely find this to be weird.
    heels1785, Runjedirun and xblackout like this.
  6. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    33-49 for the Cavs. 9 wins better than last year. We are improving. Wish we could have gotten into the play-offs but we are getting closer.
  7. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
    Blazers finish with an impressive 54-28 record, much much better than last year! This series with the Rockets is going to be intense.
  8. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    I mean this with all sincerity: Portland's got to win that series.
    Runjedirun likes this.
  9. epic Ex Mod / RSA

star 7
    Perfect ending to the season. Wizards and Pacers beats Nets and Heat. Huzzah!
  10. Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Pretty good 30 for 30 tonight on the Bad Boys.
    DarthTunick likes this.
  11. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10

I loved it! Despite knowing much of what was presented, there was still some nuggets of information here & there (an example: Jordan's comments concerning Detroit before the concluding game of the '91 ECF) that were new to me. Concerning that tidbit, Isiah may disagree with me ( :p ), along with others, but I loved the Pistons walking off the court before the conclusion of that game (4)/series. It completely fit their whole aura, identity & so forth.

Also, during the discussion of the '88 Finals (games 6 & 7), this particular play was given attention:

Foul, say what?! Talking about a superstar getting a call. :p I was certainly not surprised about the focus on that, but what did surprise me was the lack of focus & mention on this*:

Specifically, from the 1:51 mark to 2:07. Yeah, it was a different culture in the NBA during the 80's (even with I'm about to say, there's something so damn cool about the court storming), but look at the chaos there... media, fans & players already on the court as Laimbeer tries to inbound it, Magic tripping Isiah once the ball is inbounded. Sure, Detroit was down 3, and could have easily missed a 3-point attempt, but I think there's more of a gripe (well, it should be) about that chaos than the phantom foul call in game 6. I suppose since they did go on to win the next 2 titles, the overall feeling of that goal getting accomplished anyway (even if a chance of a rare 3-peat was lost) soothed any gripes about how game 7 ended. Maybe. :p

*Of course I'm slightly playing Devil's Advocate here... despite recognizing the legit gripe Detroit/their fans can have about it, that won't make me appreciate such a great & classic Laker bit of history any less.
    Last edited by DarthTunick, Apr 19, 2014
  12. Runjedirun Force Ghost

star 6
    As someone without access to cable or ESPN and who became a Knicks fan in the 90's when Riley was coach it was interesting to see the clips of him coaching the Lakers.

Guys on the radio were talking about this on my drive home from work last night. What they said that caught my interest: It's a shame Isiah's career ended at 32 with an achiles injury and they mentioned who's trying to come back from that injury now.

I always think of Isiah as a big embarrassment to my favorite franchise. Never saw him play and I don't care for him.

Here's hoping Westbrook doesn't get hurt and the Thunder have a better showing in the play-offs this year!
  13. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
    I'm predicting that the higher seed wins every first round matchup, with the exceptions of the Nets and Blazers. Only the Heat will get a first round sweep.
  14. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    [IMG]

If Oladipo somehow wins Rookie of the Year, the whole thing is a rigged travesty.
  15. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
    Nets pull off a solid win over the Raptors today. I really hope they can win this series, because I think the Nets are the only team capable of defeating the Heat.
  16. tom Chosen One

star 6
    warriors hanging tough. way too many fouls in this game though.
  17. LloydChristmas Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    STOP TALKING
  18. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    [IMG]

Golden State victory! Nice. :D
    tom and Runjedirun like this.
  19. tom Chosen One

star 6
  20. Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Grand Master

star 4

Nets should win that series handily. The Raps are a team that vastly over achieved given their talent. I mean, they went into the season trying to tank, but ended up winning way more games then everyone thought due to a weak conference. I agree that the Nets could beat the Heat, but they are not the only team. I think the Bulls could beat them as well, and wouldn't be surprised to see them take the whole conference. Thibs, Noah, DJ "baller" Augustin + chip on their shoulders = bad news for the rest of the Eastern Conference.
    Runjedirun likes this.
  21. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
    Yeah if the Bulls and Pacers face each other in round 2, that series is going to 7 games.
  22. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
    BLAZERS WIN! BLAZERS WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, what a ****ing rush!
    DarthTunick likes this.
  23. darth_gersh Force Ghost

star 6
    Heck of a game tonight for PDX.
    timmoishere likes this.
  24. AstroFan428 Force Ghost

star 2
    As a Rockets fan, that game put me in a doubly s***y mood. One for blowing that game, and because of the friggin Nba scheduling that damn game at almost 9pm Houston time. Some Rockets fans have to get up at 4:30 a-holes!
    Last edited by AstroFan428, Apr 21, 2014
  25. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
    They didn't really have a choice, re: scheduling. Three of the four Western home courts were in the same time zone (OKC, Houston and San Antonio). One of them had to be late.