main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

8.7%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

39.1%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

4.3%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

34.8%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

13.0%
  1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    An actual exciting Finals matchup. This series should be intense.

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm so excited. the only time the Cavs were in the finals, everyone knew they were going to lose - badly. should be a great series.

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Asking me last year if I could imagine a scenario where I'm rooting for Lebron James in the finals and I'd have thought you were crazy...

Darth Tunes and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Yeah. Now imagine how LloydChristmas, xblackout, and I feel.

Also, make a tabletop rpg joke/reference about Cavaliers vs Warriors. I know it's there, I just can't find it.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Huh, I thought Warriors were the ones with Charisma as a dump stat...

Juliet316 and DarthIntegral like this.
  6. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    We shall see how this goes.

In 1 week.

7. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    honestly, until 7 years ago i was a sonics fan so the one time in my life that i actually remember my team making the finals was the exact same scenario. and the tabletop rpg jokes were saved for a wizards and warriors finals. it's okay though, this is probably the most fun matchup.

DarthIntegral and dp4m like this.
  8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Bye Thibs. Please enjoy your new Pelican overlords.

9. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    If I'd have known this a year ago I would have been pissed, but right now I'm pretty fine with it, especially if he's replaced by Hoiberg - some of the offence this season has been so one dimensional. Hopefully the defensive skills and ethos he's instilled in the players remains though, despite the new coach. Just a shame injury robbed him of truly getting the most out of the team over the last 5 years.

cubman987 likes this.
  10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I knew Game 5 between the Warriors and Rockets was going to be a dogfight and that the Warriors defense would frustrate and break the will of the Rockets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a great feeling for Warriors fans to finally have our team in the NBA finals, so much so that fan of the many celebrated and danced outside Oracle Area for a long time after the game ended.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We Warriors fans are going to enjoy and savor winning the Western Conference Finals as it's been 40 years since the last time our team reached the NBA.

Juliet316 , Darth Tunes and tom like this.
  11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

good luck bulls

dp4m likes this.
  12. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    the problem definitely wasn't his regular season winning percentage. the problem was they only made it out of the second round in his first season. yes, the blame for that lies mostly with injuries and certainly wasn't his fault, but when these early round exits start to become a pattern it becomes synonymous with the coach and the culture he brings, even though that is obviously not fair. he's a good coach and will likely have success elsewhere, but i also think the time was probably right for a change.

13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Totally agree with your logic, and I would agree, if I thought this was about wins and losses. However, Thibs' impending termination was the worst kept secret in basketball for months, and it was all but assumed long before his playoff run ended that he would not be back, regardless of results.

Instead, this sounds like another case of John Paxson not being able to get along with a coach, for the third try in three coaches. Skiles, Del Negro, now Thibs. They wouldn't talk to Paxson, or take his roster advice, and they get canned unceremoniously and unprofessionally, as Thibs was today via Reinsdorf's rant. Throw in plenty of media leaks to reassure us of just how bad it was in Chicago, too, and the Bulls come off as somewhat justified in this move.

The Bulls have a petulant child calling the shots, and Jerry Reinsdorf is hoplessly loyal to him.

14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    ah yeah, i don't follow the bulls very closely so i wasn't aware of all that.

darth_gersh likes this.
  15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I listen to too much sports radio. :p

tom likes this.
  16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Maybe the Bulls will hire a great coach. I mean, the Warriors were much criticized last year for firing Mark Jackson.

17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    people had a soft spot for jackson because of his passion. he was clearly a great motivator, but it was equally clear that he was a pretty awful x's and o's coach.

heels1785 likes this.
  18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, the players and fans loved Mark Jackson, but I didn't find a great X's and O's coach. I remember I commented last year that he really couldn't get the team to calm down and draw up plays to inbound the ball against the Spurs in playoffs. There was a lot of poor coaching by Jackson during that series.

19. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Anyone want to see my reaction to the Thibs firing? I disagreed with it to say the least.

20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I think I can draw the best and worst scenarios most effectively from the NFL -

Best - Bucs fire Tony Dungy, a great coach who was loved by the community but struggled with the crappy ownership. Jon Gruden comes in and immediately wins Super Bowl, but soon clashes with crappy ownership and team descends into fiery pits, from which they have not returned.

Worst - Chargers fire Marty Schottenheimer, great coach who went 14-2 but was hated by petulant child GM AJ Smith and ownership, and was fired. Team hired Norv Turner, who overstayed his welcome until both he and Smith were fired, and the Chargers have still won nothing.

The moral of the story is that rotten ownership and leadership, be it a GM or Vice President, always shine through in the end. No coach can mask that for any extended period of time.

CT-867-5309 and Juliet316 like this.
  21. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Brief Finals trivia: It's the first time since the first year of the NBA (when it was called the BAA), that two rookie head coaches have met in the Finals.

Force Smuggler and tom like this.
  22. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    What are you talking about? Lebron isn't a rookie.

23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  25. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    why would he retire? he's only 33, coming off a strong season, and has millions of dollars left to make.

JEDI-RISING likes this.