main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

8.7%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

39.1%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

4.3%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

34.8%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

13.0%
  1. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Wizards without Arenas and Butler would be an absolute walkover. the Knicks would win that series!

2. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    Oh, I'll definitely give you that. The NBA should make a special exception this year and let the Pacers make the playoffs instead of the Wizards (bump the Nets up to 6 and th Magic up to 7). They'd have a better chance of winning a game, at least.

3. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    the Nets would be a more difficult prospect, but I can't see them troubling us over a 7 game series. Big Ben's playoff experience is going to be huge for this team.

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

I had hoped that the Lakers would have been motivated to do better this season after the collapse in the playoffs last Spring. Sadly, despite Kobe's fantastic play, that didn't happen.

5. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I'll give the Lakers this, they were way more impressive in the playoffs last season, then their regularly season would have suggested.

6. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Don't count the Lakers out just yet.

Earlier in the season, they were one of the best teams around.

When they are playing their best and they are all healthy, they are one of the best teams in the NBA.

7. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    injuries haven't helped the Lakers.

another loss to the Knicks... great stuff. we're looking at something around the 8th pick in a DEEP draft - with, potentially, a 5% or so chance at Oden. if we landed him, or Durant, but particularly Oden seeing he fills our glaring need, a new dynasty would be born. :cool:

by the sounds of it, i'd be happy with Spencer Hawes, though.

8. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Oden is overrated, and will be a bust.

9. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    i assume you're being sarcastic.

10. PerfectCell

PerfectCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005
    Yes, because 7 foot centers that have size, can block shots like crazy, have great footwork for defense, can score, and can make free throws are commonly busts.

11. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    I agree with the above post except for the scoring bit.

Oden's offense needs a lot of work.

a lot.

12. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    Oden really would have benefited from an extra year in the NCAA. Kevin Durant, on the other hand....

13. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    so what do people think of the likes of Celtics and Wolves entirely obvious tanks towards the end of the season? justified, given the presence of two franchise players in the draft, or against the spirit of the game and something that should be looked at by the league?

14. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    I don't agree with it in theory, but I can see why they do it. Though, I think it's a total slap in the face, to the fans of those franchises.

15. PerfectCell

PerfectCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005
    Not really, his mid-range game needs a lot of work, but that's about all. And from a guy like Oden a mid-range game is something that you can take the time to develop, all he needs to do right now is get the ball down low, drive to the basket and score or put back easy tip-ins, and he does that already. With a guy like Oden you will get 5 blocks and 15 rebounds a night, so all you really need from him in the scoring department is about 15 points, and he almost always gives that plus more.

16. Saruman-the-White

Saruman-the-White Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 1, 2005
    I can see season ticket holders being pissed, but other than that, I think fans would support tanking knowing the team has a shot at a franchise player.

17. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Not at all.

I could easily be wrong, of course, but I've never been impressed by him. Then again, Dwight Howard hasn't impressed me either (probably because Stoudemire overwhelmed him in both their games this season, when I had a chance to watch him live).

I think Oden's in for a real awakening when he goes up against people who can simultaneously overpower and outquick him (Stoudemire), get their shot off against any defense (Bryant) and match him for sheer strength and skill (Howard), plus the one who somehow combines everything into one (LeBron). Then there are folks like Shaq, who no doubt will want to issue some notices as to how the NBA is, and how it's different from college. Oden should beware the lions in winter like Shaq.

18. LordPullus

LordPullus Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 6, 2006
    While Greg Oden is an imposing figure on any court of basketball he may find himself in I have to say Kevin Durant is going to be the more lucrative pick for the struggling team that takes first pick for the lone fact that his game is a little more further developed, and that for his time in Texas the scoring load was placed squarely upon his shoulders to which he answered to with a sub par surrounding cast while Oden had the sharpshooters on his team that failed to show up in the championship game against Florida.

On a Playoff note while the Lakers performance has been quite painful at times to watch especially here in southern california I was glad to see a full roster dress for the game against Seatle to which Kobe dropped another 50 pt game making it his tenth this season. While I know basketball is a team sport it's also fun to watch one dominating scorer impose his will over the game at any given time. I hope that the Lakers get Phoenix in the first round cause I think another seven game series could be in the making, and just cause I live in Southern California I hope that the lakers can pass into the second round.

The four vs five match up in both conferences looks really good. With Utah against Houston, and Miami vs Cleveland. In both conferences I think whoever wins in either series will have a high probablity in challengening for the conference championships, and could likely end up in the finals especially in the east.

19. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    The Warriors are hammering the Mavericks right now, with the game in the 2nd quarter. You better believe five straight victories would have them in Dallas's head. Unless the Warrriors collapse tonight, they've made their point already anyway. They do need the win, though.

20. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Jan 15, 2005
    Um, have you SEEN the Mavs' starting lineup?

21. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I haven't, but they're still professionals, and still playing for the team with the best record in the league.

The Suns loafed around against the Lakers in their last regular season meeting last season, shortly before the playoffs started, and ended up paying for it not too long thereafter.

22. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Jan 15, 2005
    I'm sorry, but scrubs against a team playing for its playoff livelihood willalways be a mismatch. The Mavs' starting five looks more like a D-league team (I'm sure some of those guys are callups).

23. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I don't disagree.

I'm just questioning the wisdom of what Dallas is doing, and also the integrity of it. The Clippers need Dallas to win to have any chance of making the playoffs.

24. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Jan 15, 2005
    I'm not sure about the status of key members of the team, but hey, someone could twist an ankle somewhere. It's not as if the team is slumping into the playoffs: this is just a little breather from the breakneck pace they set during the season.

As for the integrity of it, I agree it is pretty unfair for the Clippers, but what if the Warriors were playing a team tanking for the lottery instead?

25. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Same difference, I'd say.

Of the three top teams in the west, the Suns are the only ones who will be going in pretty much with no lineup changes from their last game to the first playoff game.