main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

8.7%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

39.1%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

4.3%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

34.8%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

13.0%
  1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

I don't know how much/what you've bought already, etc, but at the very least, get a hat. The best accessory.

2. Val Redd

Val Redd Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2016
    GO WARRIORS

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  3. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    LeBron's Ultimate Warrior shirt today was great. As someone who was born and lived most of my life in Ohio, I am pretty ecstatic to say the least. It's such a great story how things eventually worked out.

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  5. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    I teared up at work today. I've just laugh-cried a lot in general. It doesn't feel real.

But we were all witnesses.

6. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001

Only comparison I've seen in my lifetime to this point was the Sox in 2004, mostly when they beat the Yankees. That was the previous axis-changing series to date for me.

A great writeup here about The Block:

http://deadspin.com/lebrons-block-still-doesnt-seem-possible-1782300645

I think all this is very true.

I love that LeBron's signature career moment is going to go down as a block. Not a shot, or even a pass, but a defensive play. It's a subtle pushback against the expectations many have had of him over the years, from ordinary fans to Hall of Fame players and coaches. He's done things his way, and that way is different from just about anyone who has came before him. Others have done specific things better, but never so well in combination. It was an earth-shattering feat of athleticism, of the kind that I'm not sure anyone had ever seen before. He made the unfamiliar seem both amazing and inevitable at the same time. That's art to me.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The Block, the supercut:

LloydChristmas likes this.
  8. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001

None of these really show the Block in its complete greatness, which as much involves how far back LeBron was when the Warriors picked up the ball as it does him actually blocking the layup. LeBron was by far the closest person to the Warriors' bench when the Warriors took possession of the ball, and would have only needed to turn around to have a conversation with someone there.

ChefCurryWindu likes this.
  9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=16372789&ex_cid=espnfb

10. ChefCurryWindu

ChefCurryWindu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    Yeah, it looked like Iggy would've gotten an easy layup, and before you know it, Lebron comes out of nowhere and blocks it. Watching it at my sister's house with 15 other people when that happened, we were all stunned and silent afterwards.

Read an interesting article from Chris Haynes, one of the Cavs beat reporters. He wrote that Lebron embraced the villain role this finals, and what we're used to seeing in Star Wars, tapped into the dark side:

Darth Lebron showed up the last 3 games of the series:

[​IMG]

11. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    And watch his other arm-- he was ready to block it on the OTHER side of the rim if Andre went for the reverse. Just nuts.

KnightWriter likes this.
  12. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001

JR Smith gets a best supporting actor award for his role, because he chose both to not do anything that would give referees cause to whistle him for an unintentional foul, and to not intentionally foul Iguodala. Smith also alertly grabbed the rebound. There were a lot of ways for Smith to err on that play, and he played it as well as anyone could have.

In looking at replays, I was reminded of Dennis Johnson's alert move toward the basket after Larry Bird stole Isaiah Thomas' inbound pass in 1987.

13. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    derrick rose traded to the knicks. epic

rose, justin holiday and 2017 second rounder, for robin lopez, jerian grant and jose calderon

14. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I'm annoyed we're giving up RLo since he was a very good center on the cheap, but I'm also happy we're giving up Calderon. Rose has only 1 year on the contract but if he's healthy and wants to stay, that'd be great.

Also there are Howard to Knicks rumors. A lineup featuring Melo, Howard and Rose would've been elite 5 years ago.

LloydChristmas, DarthIntegral and tom like this.
  15. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Well so long DRose, hope he stays healthy and can end his career on his own terms. He was such an exciting player for the Bulls early on, sad that his time there comes to a close after so many disappointing seasons.

16. DurronFan

DurronFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    From the sounds of it, at least according to Frank Isola, there seems to be a good chance that the Knicks could sign Noah as well, who is not only friends with both DRose and Melo, but is also from NY. He would be a better value-for-money sign than Howard imo.

17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    They just can't be held hostage by Rose's injuries anymore. Time to move on.

I guess the Knicks are hoping more than anything else. He still can't shoot a lick, and he hasn't been finishing at the basket like he used to, which was the best thing he had going for him. Not getting to the FT line, and his defense isn't as good, either.

He still shows flashes every once and a while. Flashes of tremendous speed and a strong finish. But every once and a while isn't much.

Robin Lopez is actually pretty good, and has a few years left on his contract at a reasonable price, so the Bulls are getting something out of it. They're probably getting the better end of the deal.

Calderon is nowhere near what he once was, but he can still shoot. He does more standing around than anything, though.

Maybe moving on can be good for both teams.

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    How like the Knicks: trade for an overpriced, overinjured superstar who will almost certainly never live up to his previous performance.

19. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Watched the Cavs parade. Very very surreal. Even more than other parades I've watched. On a personal note, I may have geeked out when they Played Stone Cold Steve Austin's entrance for Kevin Love.

20. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    I'm not sure what to think really. Ultimately I'm saddened because this is the final reality that mvp Rose is and never was coming back (I knew it but just didn't want to admit it) and that this is the end of an era that never really truly began. What could have been....

On a practical level, with one year left, with that ridiculous contract given his output, to get a decent centre on a fairly decent contract in the new nba, and at least one young player who could play a role (I'm ignoring Calderon), I guess it's not bad.

Having said that, where does this leave the team? It's Butlers team now and assuming he's not being traded, we're not blowing up the team, just re-tooling, we haven't got any future draft picks in return, we're just leaning towards mid table mediocrity. Nba hell.

So overall I'm unhappy but for multiple, varying reasons. But it's the end of the Rose era that promised so much that's the toughest part really.

LloydChristmas likes this.
  21. Mace Windu is GOAT

Mace Windu is GOAT Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    I have returned to the JCF. My take on the Rose trade: Terrible for the Knicks. He is washed up and will never be an above-average point guard again.

22. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Rose and Butler didn't get along. Butler wants to be the "Man" in Fibsville.

23. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

So he's destined to rejuvenate his career? Thanks!

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Miami will beat Rose in 5 games...

25. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Point given indeed.