main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

8.7%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

39.1%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

4.3%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

34.8%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

13.0%
  1. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
  2. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Wow have the Knicks been bad since that win.

I am so nervous about tonight's ridiculously late match up. Seriously who decided that the first OKC/G.S. game should be a weeknight at 10:30 PM eastern? Even in OKC the game starts at 9:30 PM. Did they not even want to market this one?

3. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

yea I know they have been bad.

4. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    I feel your pain Leoluca Randisi I've been a Knicks fan since Riley was coaching there. Ewing, Houston, Starks, Camby, so many good times in the Garden.

I kinda got my hopes up for this season when I saw that they had 5 games televised on ABC this Spring. I thought maybe I was missing something, maybe we didn't trade for Chicago's old injured players, I even have purchased tickets to the Wizards Knicks cause I live in the DC area.

And the OKC thing, well I'm a Hanson fan and I missed basketball, so I found another team to watch while the Knicks forever rebuild :p

5. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

the good news is we are only 4 games deep...

Runjedirun likes this.
  6. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    My team actually clinched their first NBA title at MSG. True Story.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Disappointed Russ hasn't literally set KD on fire yet.

Maybe he is saving that for the home game?

8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Safe to say OKC is thoroughly psyched out, thanks primarily to the brilliance of Draymond Green. He really is the second coming of Dennis Rodman, minus the dominant rebounding.

9. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Don't think psyched out is it, GSW is primarily ahead because of the 2Q run that happened against the Westbrook/Adam-less unit and then collapsing hard against those two realizing that OKC has basically no outside threats.

Sidenote WHY IS RUBY LOPEZ THE WARRIORS TV HOST. SHE IS A BEAUTIFUL PERFECT HUMAN FROM YAHOO'S FANTASY FOOTBALL LIVE, GIVE HER BACK

10. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001

That's sort of a big "minus," no?

LloydChristmas and heels1785 like this.
  11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Haha, yes it is. Good point.

He has his own unique niche on an incredibly talented team as the instigator and makes his money as a gritty defensive player in the same way Rodman did.

12. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    *fixed

xblackout and KnightWriter like this.
  13. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    I went to bed before tip off. Not surprised by the score. I can rewatch later on my league pass and I might. I was surprised OKC had such a good game against the Clippers. I dislike the Warriors so much it's unreal. Oh wells.

14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000

Ruby Lopez has been working with Bay Area sports teams for over a decade, and Yahoo's HQ is also located in the Bay Area. Many of the local media types in the area cross over from one show to another.

And the assessment of the OKC/GSW game was pretty dead on. The Thunder jumped out to an early lead, but when Westbrook and Adam went to the bench, the game was pretty much over. The Warriors always had two all-stars on the court at all times.

There was no friendly exchanges between KD and Westbrook before or after the game, not even a hand shake or fist bump.

15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000

Draymond reminds of another classic Detroit Piston, Bill Laimbeer. I mean, both are pretty much despised, considered dirty players and can get under the skin of their opponents. However, they're important to their teams' success and provide a toughness in the team.

Compared to Laimbeer, Rodman was a modeled player as he didn't fined or received (IIRC) the same amount of technicals as Laimbeer and Green. I mean, when Rodman was on the Bulls and Spurs he took a very professional approach on the court and did his job and didn't pull his team in a bad situation like Green did last year. Green getting suspended for Game 5 in the NBA Finals did nothing but hurt the Warriors.

16. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012

17. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I hate both Westbrook and KD. Huge egos. Basically emblematic of today's NBA.

18. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    that's a strange assessment imo. to me they are two of the most amazing athletes i've ever witnessed in my life and i've honestly never thought of either of them as big ego guys.

Runjedirun and heels1785 like this.
  19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I don't see it, either. Not even close to how I would categorize either of them.

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

You have not met Shane, have you? :p

21. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

I thought that about KD at first. But, they would still be on the same team if they didn't.

dp4m, ah ever the parade jumper.

22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    well of course they have egos, it's just not a glaring aspect of their personality. i doubt there's ever been a player in any sport in any era who has attained and sustained an all-star level of play at the professional level without any ego.

Runjedirun and DarthTunick like this.
  23. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

That's not what I said. Of course all athletes have some ego. Everyone has some ego. These guys let their egos get the best of them and split up.

I still think they're great players but a little less ego and they're still together.

Tim Duncan is a guy coming to mind when I think of an ego not getting in the way. He let his playing, and just his playing, speak for itself.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  24. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    tim duncan also won a title in his second season. durant's leaving had something to do with frustrations with westbrook, but it was mostly due to the fact that he was entering his tenth season with a team that could never quite get over the hump and wanted to try something else.

25. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Duncan also won with the Admiral. Two guys who worked together and won together. Durant was frustrated with Westbrook because that guy is a glory whore. Durant is a good guy. Not a fan of Westbrook. Amazing athlete and player but he's like Kobe to me. Not a fan.