main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

8.7%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

39.1%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

4.3%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

34.8%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

13.0%
  1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    true, not the first superstar to be stuck on a terrible team. forget the triple doubles, getting this team to the playoffs is why he should win the mvp. they would be lucky to win ten games without russ.

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Russ or Steph, you'd think, would have a shot.

And I actually think with the CBA changes, it's more likely that a future member of the 30k club will do it with one team, and not spread around with multiple teams. A superstar leaving his team for another in free agency is going to be rare with the insane amount of money that would be left on the table.

3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, when I look at Westbrook's highlights, alot of his game reminds me of Iverson's MVP year. If Westbrook played in the Eastern Conference, OKC would probably looking at a 3 or 4 playoff seed, if not better.

4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i don't see steph getting to 30,000 tbh. he would need a bunch more years close to last years numbers, which were pretty anomalous and unlikely to occur again if kd stays on the team.

Guidman likes this.
  5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I list Steph because he has the longevity factor. Even as athleticism fades, he's going to keep his shooting touch. He'll always be able to find minutes and shots. His per game totals will drop, but I think he has an (outside) shot of getting there just due to the fact that sharpshooters can have absurdly long careers.

tom likes this.
  6. A Blind Prophet

A Blind Prophet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2016
    see ray allen for absurdly long career example. even in that last year in miami he was still averaging almost ten points a game.

7. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    but still fell more than 5000 points short of 30k.

8. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Well, there's a good reason only six players (soon to be seven) have ever reached 30k points. The odds are against anyone getting there.

Guidman and tom like this.
  9. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yeah, that's the main point. among active players only lebron is a lock. kd should get there easily if healthy, but that's a pretty big concern. after that it might be decades before we see another one.

10. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Yup. Only six active players are at 20k, and only 47 are even at 10k.

11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Lonzo Ball's dad would probably say Lonzo will score 30K points in the NBA. :p

12. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Lonzo Ball has actually already scored 30k NBA points according to his dad.

One of the reasons he's better than Steph Curry.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  13. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I thought it was right move for Steve Kerr to sit Steph, Klay and Draymond against the Spurs on Saturday night and wonderful gamesmanship with Coach Popovich. The Dubs looked fatigued against the TWolves the night before as they were at the tail end of a grueling road trip and long season. It's a good end of the season breather. Additionally, I didn't feel at all bad in missing the game to attend a family affair.

15. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    for once we agree, ssp. :eek:

i spent the weekend in the woods so i missed the game too. got back in time for cavs/rockets though, which was pretty fun. not really sure what's up with the cavs except that this is just a tough stretch of the schedule and they clearly miss love, especially on the boards. kind of in a similar place to the warriors really.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  16. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Might be going to Cavs/Clippers at Staples this upcoming Saturday, if reasonable tickets can be found.

xblackout and Runjedirun like this.
  17. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I don't understand the complaints about coaches doing this. The physical stress on players is intense, with the level of athleticism far higher overall than it was several decades ago. In most jobs, it's normal to take a day off. I get why fans are disappointed, but it's not like the players are retiring (unless they are), and they'll be back. You have to keep the big picture in mind, which is one reason Popovich has done well over the years. Everyone wins when the players stay healthy and avoid injuries.

18. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Kerr could have rested his players on Friday, not on a hyped-enough ABC primetime Saturday game.

19. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i would agree if it was a planned thing, but the way the team played on friday was a big part of why he rested them on saturday.

20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I've decided that recent Cavs play warrants some level of concern. Washington and Boston are now just 2 games back in the standings for the #1 seed. And LeBron isn't getting the kind of rest his body needs. It's not a full-fledged concern, yet. There's some mitigating factor with Love out, J R shaking off rust, Korver now hurt - we haven't been able to play the rotation we'll likely play in the playoffs. Yet, still - if LeBron is going to log heavy minutes, you need to get the 1 seed.

That forgone conclusion of Cavs-Warriors 3 seems to have plenty of doubt, now. Wouldn't be shocking to see the Spurs in the Finals, and wouldn't be a complete shock to see Boston there, either.

21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I think the fans that bought tickets to the game months in advance and may have travel a great distance do have a legit gripe about the starters not playing. And I'm glad Coach Kerr addressed this after the game. But yeah, in this situation, no one really wins.

However, I'm sure the NBA scheduling committing will think twice about scheduling a Saturday Night Prime Time game as the second game in a back-to-back end of a road trip.

Well, the thinking was to give the players consecutive days off to provide a more effective rest period. Taking Friday off and then playing on Saturday would disrupt the rest and recovery flow.

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    TBH, the league should just get rid of back-to-backs. Or, if they must have them, make them consecutive home games, so the players aren't travelling in addition to the two games.

xblackout, tom and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  23. A Blind Prophet

A Blind Prophet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2016
    yea, i've always thought back to backs on road games was just stupid. takes a huge toll on the players, and getting rid of that one thing would probably help with stamina issues.

24. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    Note to all fans crying foul over "resting the stars": The name on the front of the jersey is far more important than the name on the back of it. That's what any coach will teach you in athletics, and even your ticket stub says nothing about any names on the back of the jersey. Kerr is the man in charge of the Warriors. Unless there is a league-issued suspension, he has the final say on who plays and who doesn't. The league office and television partners have no right to micromanage the team.

And screw David Stern for fining San Antonio a quarter of a million dollars for doing the same (in this case, that was San Antonio's 4th game in 5 nights)!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

PCCViking likes this.
  25. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    props to steve kerr for finally mixing up his substitution pattern last night. i'd like to see him stick with steph resting the last half of the third instead of the first half of the fourth for a while. i've been wanting him to try it all year.