main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

8.7%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

39.1%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

4.3%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

34.8%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

13.0%
  1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i was kind of surprised to see harden make the argument that wins should be the most important factor. isn't he really making the argument that steph should win again? i mean i don't think he should, but if wins really are more important than numbers, and if you look at +/- which is a pretty good indicator of how much you help your team win, no one is close to steph. maybe he shouldn't be rewarded for having better teammates, but that's also really the only argument for harden of westbrook.

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I mean, there are typically three types of MVP winners, with a fourth thrown in on occassion:

1) Best Player on Best Team. This year, that would be Steph Curry. I highly doubt the vote goes that way
    2) "I'm emphasing value here" - the player that, if you take him off that team, they go from whatever stratosphere they are in to another one. (Contender -> Just a playoff team / Solid Playoff team -> Fringe Playoff Team / Fringe Playoff Team -> Lottery Team). This year that's either Westbrook or Lebron. But the narrative can't be that it's Lebron, because even though advanced stats say so, Kevin Love and Kyrie Irving are also on the team. So we just overlook how bad the team is with those two and not Lebron.
    3) "Holy **** - look at what he did" (On a non-sucky team) - That's either Harden or Westbrook this year.

And then there's the rare fourth case:

4) Well, the MVP is actually Lebron or Jordan, but we're tired of voting for the same guy every year so let's give it to Karl Malone or Derrick Rose. No one really qualifies for this one this year.

3. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Gianni's might finish in the top 20 in Points, Assists, Rebounds, Blocks, Steals. MVP.

4. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Thunder won without Westbrook last night. The team needed that win going into the playoffs and I think it was beyond wise to give him rest/take all precaution he doesn't get injured. But it does not help his cause as an MVP candidate.

5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  6. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    The Bulls are in the playoffs....yay?

7. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    Daaaaaaaaa Bulls!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Part of me fears Milwaukee in Round 2, part of me wants to see Giannis vs. LeBron.

And, this is a truly wonderful feeling, btw. The Cavs are limping into the playoffs, a shell of their old contender. And I don't care. They could get bounced early, and I don't care. Because there's a Larry O'Brien Trophy in downtown Cleveland. I got my one. I'm good. Anything else is icing on the cake.

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  10. Nanaki

Sep 5, 2016
    I want San Antonio/Houston in round 2, because even after 22 years and 5 championships, I still want revenge for what happened in 1995.

11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    This playoffs is about redemption for the Warriors, after losing the Championship being up 3-1 in the Finals. And having players on the roster like KD, David West and others vets that have yet to win a ring helps the team stay highly motivated and hungry. Portland gave the Warriors a good run for their money last year, and despite the Dubs sweeping the regular season series against them, I expect the Blazers to push the Dubs again in the opening round of the playoffs.

I think the Spurs vs. Grizzlies and Celtics vs. Bulls should be the more interesting first round playoff games as those match ups split the regular season series.

Looking forward to the playoffs.

12. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    The Knicks being the Knicks.

14. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    It was an effort to keep calm during the last couple of weeks of the season, as the Lakers 5-game winning streak was drawing the ire of many... all that negativity around that highlights all that is wrong/****** up about the current lottery system; wins shouldn't be looked down upon.

15. Nanaki

Sep 5, 2016
    I know how to fix the lottery system.

Go back to the system in place in 1985.

16. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Some version of that, yes; every non-playoff should have just 1 goddamn lottery ball.

17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000

The frozen envelope.

18. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Last night's tribute in OKC was really special.

I wish my son's liked basketball. I could have gotten Wizards play-off tickets this weekend, instead I'm going to see some guy named Dan TDM.

19. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Celtics are a pretty weak #1 in recent years so happy enoighnto play them instead of the Cavs, despite their recent struggles.

If I wasn't posting ony phone I'd have posted a gif where the hulk throws a tank a mile, though. I'd have preferred a better draft shot than an inevitable playoff loss at some point. beating the celtics would be nice though even though they're so sorted going forward. f u nets

20. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  21. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Great game for the Bucks today. Hope they keep it up.

22. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Can someone let T Lue and the Cavs know that they are in the NBA, not the NHL, and there are four periods to play, not three.

I mean, up 2-0 is up 2-0. But , sheez

24. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    Right? These 4th quarters are killing me.

But I did love what I saw for most of the game yesterday. Shump stepped up big and I loved the hustle and intensity we got from him. Also Kevin lost his damn mind in that 3rd quarter and I want MORE OF THAT.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Well, it took the Warriors 3 plus quarters and an epic defensive performance by Draymond Green to put the Dubs in a comfortable position against the Trailblazers. I mean, Lillard and McCollum lit it up for most of the game. It was a great opening game to the series.

The Clippers gonna Clip. However, I would like to see the Clippers and Warriors in the 2nd Round just because of the bad blood between the teams. I think this will be the last season of the Clippers big three together as they don't seem to be getting better with their roster.