main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

8.7%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

39.1%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

4.3%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

34.8%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

13.0%
  1. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    All in all, this has been the most boring playoffs ever.

2. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    If that's it for Manu, all my unseen-digital-thanks for an amazing career...and for destroying the Miami Heat.

Without that dunk on Bosh (and the rest of that series), LeBron probably doesn't come home in 2014.

tom, KnightWriter and Juliet316 like this.
  3. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    This sudden focus on Durant and allowing him to take more of a leading role the last couple of games really seems like they're manufacturing his significance now so if they end up winning the title he can be equally credited with getting them there and for getting his own ring. I don't think it's a coincidence that this has happened almost immediately after he received a lot of criticism last week for taking the easy route to a championship by joining what was already the best team in the league.

4. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Well no matter what, I'm rooting for Cleveland or Boston. The Warriors were cute the first year, but now they've worn out their welcome IMO.

5. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I think that depends on this year's outcome.

If they win, then good on them, they've begun to establish a dynasty. And even if they don't go on to establish a full dynasty, then winning 2 of 3 championships in consecutive years is still pretty damn good. And at that point you can't not respect what they've accomplished.

But if they lose this year, than that's twice in a row to the same team, making their previous championship two years ago pretty much a one and done. All the hype around them the last few years becomes just that, hype. And incorrect hype at that, considering the same team beat them 2 out of 3 times, making the Cavs objectively the best team within the last few years.

It'll be interesting. There's a lot on the line for both sides.

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Assuming the Cavaliers close out Boston.

Remember the old adage - a series doesn't begin until the home team wins a game.

Runjedirun, LloydChristmas and dp4m like this.
  7. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Isn't it lose a game?

8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Does someone have the "that's the joke" gif handy?

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
  10. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i think durant deserves some criticism for choosing to join an already great warriors team, but this post is just nonsense. you act like they kept feeding him the ball to pad his stats or something. did you watch the games? kevin durant is playing incredibly efficient basketball. he only took 13 shots in game four and still went for 29 and 12. he's an all-time great player, no one needs to manufacture his significance.

11. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I didn't mean to imply that his significance was being manufactured completely, just in part, and only in these last few games. I know he's a great player, I watched him all the time when he was at OKC. And it may not be coming from any kind of team directives, but it definitely seems like the media has placed a bigger focus on him in the last couple of games and have credited him with their wins much more so than they had prior to that. And I do think it's at least partially due to the reasons I stated in my previous post about it, given that all last week there was quite a lot criticism directed at him for choosing the easy path to a ring. Just controlling the narrative I suppose.

12. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    well that criticism has been heaped on him since july 4th last year when he made the decision, so it's not like it just popped up last week. as for the last few wins, he's been a huge part of them so it would be a lot weirder if they didn't credit him. most of the coverage i've seen has been equally crediting kd and steph anyway, and the warriors themselves always try to credit the whole team effort (as you do) so i guess i'm not really sure what you're on about.

13. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Read my previous posts. I don't have anything else to say about it beyond that. It's just an observation I've made over their last couple of games that I hadn't seen prior to it. I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying. Maybe we listen to different media.

14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yeah, most likely. also i follow the warriors religiously all year round, so maybe the focus on durant just doesn't seem new to me. he's been the lead story when it comes to the warriors for the whole season. also these past few games i do think he's clicked with the team in a way i haven't quite seen before now. and yes, that has a lot to do with the one guy on the other team who could actually guard him getting injured.

15. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Also Durant is probably just really got his rhythm back after coming back from that injury.

I just hope that Cleveland does advance and that the Finals is close. I'm so afraid the Warriors are going to run away with it and I won't even be interested in watching.

16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I don't have any idea what's happening

17. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Get. Buckets.

DarthTunick and DarthIntegral like this.
  18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I looked and saw Kyrie / Love / Lebron had 93 points and thought "how much did they win by?" and then saw that the rest of the team only scored 19 points combined... wow...

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I scared my poor cat, Chitauri, last night. When Kyrie hit that three at the end of the third quarter I yelled out "Oh My God, He hit that from Akron"

Kyrie, just a masterful game last night. Nice to see someone other than LeBron put the Cavs on their back and drag them to a big win.

20. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If I had a dollar for every time I have scared my cats during a sports match, I could buy their food for a year.

Some good news today:

Charlotte to host the 2019 NBA All-Star game

Dear North Carolina: don't **** this up between now and then.

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    James Jones on the cusp of being just one of two non-Celtics to go to seven consecutive NBA Finals. Quite the feat. Congrats, Champ!

LloydChristmas likes this.
  23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    LBJ's looked really pissed off all night...

24. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    It'll be nice to see a competitive series once again.

25. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    I don't know if I'm emotionally ready for this.