main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

10.5%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

42.1%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

5.3%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

36.8%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

5.3%
  1. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    Speaking of Bill Walton we literally ran into him at game 3. We came down from our seats a different way than my dad did and when we went to the other tunnel to find him we found Bill Walton instead, with my dad just hanging out behind him. That was pretty cool.

Also I'm pretty sure my eye level was at his belly button.

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Clearly, you need a "take your Bill Walton" to work day

xblackout likes this.
  3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    One year ago, today, a curse died.

I can't believe it's been a year.

I doubt I'll ever forge the shocked disbelief, as I literally couldn't bring myself to stand up, after Kyrie Irving hit the three pointer that ultimately won the game. I doubt I'll ever forget the tears that shed from my eyes as my brother and I - at last - shared a text that said "CHAMPIONS". I can close my eyes and watch LeBron's chase down block. I can hear the announcers as the final seconds tick off.

No more is the city I love about Jose Mesa, Art Model, or Craig Ehlo. A revived city, a thriving arts district, a true renaissance story - capped off with a sports title. No more waiting till next year. One year ago - today - was next year.

LeBron's Promise kept - a ring for Cleveland. The prodigal son come home. Not just for a twlight. But for a championship.

xblackout LloydChristmas

4. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    Speaking of Inglewood, I'm curious as to why the Forum still exists, despite not having a major tenant since the turn of the millennium.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Juliet316 and DarthTunick like this.
  6. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    Why you gotta go make me cry before work?

That was the greatest night and I will never, ever forget it. Calling my dad and hearing all the emotion in his voice and getting to celebrate something we thought we would never live to see. Nothing will ever top watching that team win it all.

7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Nanaki The Forum is used essentially these days just for concerts & other sorts of non-sports entertainment . I'm very happy that it's still around, but I find it terribly annoying that the Lakers don't at least play 3-4 games there per season... damn the lack of luxury suits, smaller capacity than Staples & the hassles of setting it up for a game (I'd imagine it would be more difficult -but not impossible- than it was in its NBA heyday); it's a unique chance for the Lakers to do something special each season, and it continues not to be utilized.

8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I cried for different reasons last year.

Anyway, Paul George announced he'll be leaving the Pacers at the end of his contract, so there have been reports that trade talks have opened up with the Lakers and Cavs. Obviously, Kevin Love have been named in possible trade between the Pacers and Cavs for weeks, so could this happen? Would the Lakers step up and make a move for George? I'm not sure, but I wouldn't think so.

9. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i think they want him, but will they compete this year even with him and what's the incentive to give up young talent in a trade when he's already made it clear he wants to go there and they can add him as a free agent next year without giving up anything? i guess the one concern is that the cavs do make the deal and then he gets a taste of being on an elite team and competing for a title and decides to stay there.

10. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Not that dissimilar to the Love trade, right? Wiggins for Love, with Love in the last year of his contract and no guarantee he'd sign an extension. Love gets a taste of what it's like in a championship contending environment, and gets that playoff-ending injury against Boston, and then re-ups for the max.

That said, I do not want to trade Love for George. I don't think it closes the gap on the Warriors (though it likely helps, since LeBron could theoretically take a rest for longer than two minutes), and it would give us a full year of "sources" reporting that both LeBron and PG13 are going to bolt Cleveland for L.A. And, truthfully, there's just about no way to make that trade without surrendering Love.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and tom like this.
  11. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

I'd rather the Lakers take that risk, than give up some of their talent (Russell & Randle in particular), or the #2 pick (according to some talk); I could see them competing if they had George & their draft pick, but without said pick, I'm not so sure.

12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, that first part of Love being in the last year of his contract too would cause my to think that the Pacers would need the Cavs to sweeten the deal. Plus the fact that they're in the same conference as the Cavs, as the old adage goes, you don't trade within division/conference.

And the second part, yeah, the Lakers could stand pat and wait a year to go after George so they don't end up in the same situation as the Knicks when they traded for Melo. It's disturbing to think that LeBron and George could be both heading to the Lakers a year from now.

Speaking of LA teams, the Clippers has hired Jerry West to be part of their organization.

13. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    It's not exactly thrilling that he's now with the Clippers, but too much of the local reaction has been needlessly negative ("Oh, what a terrible look for the Lakers!")... Magic is back with the organization, in a rather significant role, so they have a supreme franchise legend as a drawing card to entice players in negotiations, etc; Ramona Shelburne said it best on ESPN last week: "They don't have to bring everybody back."

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    DarthTunick, what's the local talk in La La Land in regards to the Lakers' draft pick, especially now that trade between the 76ers and Celtics has now been made official with the reports that the 76ers will be drafting Fultz with the No.1 pick?

15. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Enough of the fans want Ball, and despite the noise his father would bring, I'm inclined to agree with them.

16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i watched like 10 of lonzo's college games and i still have no idea what to make of him. like he could be a huge bust, a huge star, or a decent role player and none of those scenarios would really surprise me. where do you see russell fitting in if they do pick ball?

DarthIntegral likes this.
  17. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    That was a great day. Cleveland could never win another game and it would never ruin that day.

Also upping this unbelievable photoshop someone did

18. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    russell moved to sg at the end of the year and was successful there. i think he and ball compliment each other well, because they're both gifted passers and are both used effectively off and on ball because of their shooting and quick passes. they'll be a problem defensively but that's going to be a problem with us regardless of who we draft so we might as well go for an elite offense lol

DarthTunick likes this.
  19. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

PRENN's got the right idea; Luke & company would be wise to follow that plan, should they draft ball. Got a feeling Jordan Clarkson could be traded in this scenario, and I wouldn't necessarily mind that.

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Makes no ****ing sense.

22. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    bron's gone next year.

23. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Don't know if replacing Love with PG or Jimmy B is all that much better-- defensively maybe, but PG doesn't wanna play the 4 and that's a lot of rebounding out the door (+ sweet beautiful outlet passes). Kevin just wasn't the reason the Cavs lost the Finals by any stretch, and he's actually a big reason why they had a quicker time getting there.

So idk if Griff holding steadfast to Love would have anything to do with the exit, but maybe? It's worth noting the assistant GM is out too.

Losing LeBron again just got more real now I guess, but hey I'd root for him this time! (unless he unthinkably went to GSW in a "Kevin Durant is the biggest frontrunner? Hold my beer..." move)

Anyway Griff was GM of our title team. I'll build him a statue myself if I have to.

Or at least photoshop him as Ackbar.

24. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    The two most likely destinations for Paul George are either Portland or Boston. Both teams have a number of draft picks and talented players to use as trade fodder. Since Boston seems to be going all-in on Jimmy Butler, I'd put the odds at 75% for George wearing a Blazer uniform next year.

As for Cleveland, they don't have any draft picks to offer, so the best trade they could muster is probably Kevin Love. There's no way they can land George unless there's a three-way trade somehow.

25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I spent an inordinate amount of time on the NBA Trade Machine working up Butler and Wade to Cleveland Deals, using Phoenix as a landing spot for Love, expiring contracts and picks to Chicago, and a fourth team to make salaries work, either sending experienced vets to Denver or renting cap space from Philly.

PRENNTACULAR likes this.