main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

8.7%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

39.1%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

4.3%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

34.8%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

13.0%
  1. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    But being more successful in the primary goal should be more important than having the best individual performance among all other individuals.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    lol

DarthTunick likes this.
  3. Nanaki

Sep 5, 2016
    Since when did the regular season become more important than the Larry O'Brien Trophy?

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Didn't say it was.

I'm laughing at the suggestion that the Finals MVP is equal to the Regular Season MVP.

5. Nanaki

Sep 5, 2016
    Finals MVP is awarded to a more successful player than the Regular Season MVP though. That cannot be denied.

6. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Andre Igoudala was a more successful player in 2015 than Steph Curry. That cannot be denied.

7. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    also, how has Dirk not won a playoff series exactly? He was a ring fgs

8. Nanaki

Sep 5, 2016
    That specifically refers to the year he won Regular Season MVP...you know, the year the Mavs got upset by Golden State.

9. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Also as to what Finals MVP is actually indicative of, since Dirk it's basically been either LeBron James or the guy tasked with defending LeBron James.

DarthIntegral and tom like this.
  10. Nanaki

Sep 5, 2016
    Bruce Bowen guarded LeBron when Parker won it...

11. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    did you read the part that said "since dirk"? you seem to be having a little trouble following this conversation or intent on having a different one by yourself or something.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  12. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Nanaki: "Actually Gregg Popovich is a great conversationalist."

13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Report: Carmelo Anthony only wants trade to the Rockets, not the Cavaliers

Looks like the Knicks might be stuck with Melo for awhile, unless they buy him out of his contract. From what I understand, Melo's salary cap number is another obstacle in any trade.

14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    any deal with the rockets would pretty much hinge on a third team taking on ryan anderson, and there just isn't a team that makes sense in that scenario. any rebuilding team who has the kind of assets the knicks covet isn't going to give them up so they can have ryan anderson eating up $20 mil. of their cap space. the knicks will ultimately have to decide if something like this beats a buyout or going into the year with an unhappy melo.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    The problem is there are very few teams in the position Philadelphia has been in where they can absorb bad contracts for the price of assets to assist with tanking. Not many teams have the cap space to do do, or have the long-term plan where taking on contracts wouldn't hinder them from having cap space when their plans call for it. Getting a mid-range or late-round first is fine if the cap space it will eat up is during your actual tank. But if contracts extend to where you want to be able to contend and use that space to go after a missing piece, it makes it tougher. Houston can't simply offer 2nds and 1sts and swaps to Sacramento to absorb a contract to make the dollars work. Or the Lakers, Or Philly,

It's the same obstacle for a Kyrie Irving trade. In almost every trade scenario, even involving a third team you have everyone wanting talent, not just assets. A Cleveland-Denver-Phoenix trade, for instance, is very difficult to pull off because Phoenix and Denver want talent to help them win today, and can't just absorb contracts to help them tank.

Edit: Board Lag Ninja'd!

tom likes this.
  16. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  18. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    Runjedirun and DarthIntegral like this.
  19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    thank god

tom likes this.
  20. Nanaki

Sep 5, 2016
    Once a Jail Blazer, always a Jail Blazer, it seems.

(Skip to 1:49 for Stephen A's famous catchphrase)

JEDI-RISING likes this.
  21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Wow, I had forgotten about the "Jail Blazers" era.

But, I have never forgotten Rasheed's quote, "Both teams played hard." But that's beaten out by "BALL DON'T LIE!"

22. Nanaki

Sep 5, 2016
    Come to think of it, didn't Randolph get busted for the Lettuce in a state that just legalized the Lettuce?

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005

Yep.

Nanaki likes this.
  24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I'm not exactly thrilled that the NBA season is starting a week early, because I've enjoying the Warriors basking in their championship. However, they'll be kicking off the season against the retooled Rockets, who are still trying to workout a deal for Melo.

And for the third consecutive year, Dubs v. Cavs is scheduled for Christmas Day. Rumored/"leaked" Warriors' jersey for the Christmas Day game features "The Town" on front.

[​IMG]

25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I wonder if Cleveland will have a corresponding "The Land" jersey