main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

8.7%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

39.1%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

4.3%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

34.8%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

13.0%
  1. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I remember when sports were a distraction from politics and other worldly problems.

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I don't. But, then, I was born after Jesse Owens, Mohammed Ali, Billy Jean King, the 1980 (and 1984 - I was alive for these, but too young) Olympic Boycotts. etc. had happened. So, you know, politics and world issues had long been a part of sports - and vice versa.

4. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Like yourself, I was too young for these events to make an impression.

I remember sports being a wonderful distraction after the events of 9/11.

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    it's not like those sporting events were trying to get you to not think about 9/11 though. they were singing emotional renditions of "god bless america" and trying to get you to think about it if anything. sports are part of the world and they're played by human beings with thoughts and feelings. i don't think that should stop you from enjoying the games.

Juliet316 and DarthIntegral like this.
  6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    If Kobe Bryant wearing a "I can't Breathe" t-shirt stops you from being able to enjoy an NBA Game, I think that's on you. Not on Kobe having worn a t-shirt during warm-ups.

7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Of course, sporting events we're not trying to get people to stop thinking about 9/11, but distract them for a bit and set a path to normalcy. I remember the phrase that went something like, "if we stop living normal lives, the terrorists win."

No, the political statements and protest has not stop me from enjoying the games, but it's becoming the sporting headline. The games themselves are taking a backseat to politics.

8. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    I've still chosen to focus on the games themselves.

It doesn't mean I don't have empathy for the social change an athlete is trying to affect

9. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I don't either.

I'm probably more affected and endured more of this "disrespecting of the American flag" controversy as I live in the epic center of it with Collin Kaepernick of the San Francisco 49ers being the starting point and more recently the Golden State Warriors star players stating they don't want to go to the White House.

I do respect the political statements, but I think it's sad it was brought about by a President that acts like an internet troll in the comments or on a message board.

10. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i mean the headline is always going to be whatever thing the media thinks will get ratings or clicks. i would suggest avoiding the headlines and just watching the games if you find that annoying. personally i would rather see headlines about players protesting injustice than headlines about players beating their girlfriends.

11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Getting this thread back on track, I was surprised by the Melo to OKC trade because it wasn't in the discussions and reports like Houston and Portland.

Like other people, I'm really interested in seeing how OKC's big three comes together. Personally, I think Melo would be more helpful to the team if he came off the bench like Andre Iguodala and play the key minutes in the 4th quarter.

12. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    These things actually encapsulate why I love sports. At their core they are a celebration of the human body (which we all have regardless of skin color/political views/etc.) and human spirit. It can be as compelling to watch Russ throw down as it is to see Craig Sager back out there next to Pop after fighting his ass off. Both show what can happen when body & spirit come together, and they are amazing not because they distract us from realities but *because* of them. I don't wanna FORGET that gravity and cancer exist in those moments, I wanna know that they do and high-five/cry/post-in-all-caps when people fight them anyway.

You could substitute racial injustice in there as well.

13. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
  14. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    When OKC got Paul George I was surprised. Like I actually stood up from sitting cross legged on the floor reading my i-pad and did a dance in my basement. In the back of my mind I always knew Presti would go after Melo if he had the chance and/or I read it somewhere so when Melo lengthened his list it was a simple smile and nod.

I think Melo can still make a huge difference as a starter. He averaged over 20 points per game on a bad team in a terrible situation last year. My question is how fast can these guys learn to play together and will they get along.

15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    So, Dwayne Wade is set to sign with the Cavs and reunite with LeBron. Not really a surprised that he'll end up there. The question is how much the World of Wade has left in the tank.

16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm not sure I'm ready to live in a world where I cheer for Dwyane Wade and boo Kyrie Irving.

Though ...

A starting line-up of IT / JR / Bron / Love / TT with a bench including Rose / Wade / Korver / Jefferson / Frye is probably a better overall team than Cleveland had last year. Even if Rose and Wade aren't where they once were.

Edit: Shump on that bench, too. Cleveland might have actual depth this year.

tom likes this.
  17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    you actually left out crowder too. by far the deepest team in the east anyway.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Damn. I did. Best defender on the bench, second best defender on the team. The guy who can probably give Lebron a breather in meaningful games.

tom likes this.
  19. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Man if you had a time machine and told me a few years ago that I'd be rooting for LeBron James and Dwyane Wade against Kyrie Irving on Opening Day...

...dude what are you doing with that time machine go make Trump not president you idiot

20. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Meh.

He will sit out all 82 games of the regular season. Cleveland will win 39 games and be the 8 seed. They will go 12-1 in the Eastern Conference Playoffs. Some fans will state that Lebron should be the MVP.

xblackout, tom and dp4m like this.
  22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    As Dan Patrick says, "he's listed as day to day, but, then again, aren't we all."

23. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    5/$205 mil extension for Westbrook

lawdy

Runjedirun likes this.
  24. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i'm actually a little surprised he signed it. thought he would wait and see how this year goes then weigh all his options. well deserved though.

heels1785 and DarthTunick like this.
  25. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Westbrook is the first and only player jersey I have ever owned in any sport. I spent the better part of a year begging my husband to buy it for me. I chose well :)

LloydChristmas and heels1785 like this.