main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

8.7%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

39.1%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

4.3%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

34.8%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

13.0%
  1. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Tonight could be one of the nuttiest drafts ever I'M PUMPED

2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Harrison Barnes must be really relieved now that's he's not playing for the Warriors but the Mavericks instead.

To me, Dirk will always be connected with the Dubs because he was scouted and pushed the Mavs to draft him by Donnie Nelson (who I remember as an assistant Dubs coach under his father Don Nelson) and Dirk's first points were against the Dubs. Dirk would be a nice bench player for the Dubs right now because of his shooting ability and therefore I would love for him to replace Nick Young.

3. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    [​IMG]

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    And the Dwight Howard Era in Brooklyn appears to be ending already.

Dwight to the Warriors
    Locker Room into Disarray
    Warriors lose in the 2nd Round

5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    ^ [face_laugh]

As I expected, the Nets would buyout Howard's contract. The trade was to clear cap space. Although, I thought the buyout might occur in the middle of the season.

But, you know, that wouldn't be such a wild thought, the part about Dwight signing with the Warriors, as you look a JaVale McGee. Zaza Pachulia is unlikely to be back and David West is wavering on his return. I mean, it's a low risk for the Warriors to sign Howard.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    For the record, @Sith_Sensei__Prime liked a post detailing the downfall of the Golden State Dynasty.

8. JediVision

JediVision Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2015
    Serious question: Has there ever been a once-superstar who fell into absolute irrelevancy to this degree? (For non-injury reasons)

This is going to be his sixth team in six years. Unbelievable.

9. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Iverson bounced around a lot near the end, and he wasn't even that old.

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. JediVision

Sep 6, 2015
    Oh, geez. I thought the post I was responding to was reporting Dwight's being traded to Brooklyn; instead it's about Brooklyn buying him out. So he's even more irrelevant than being completely irrelevant. Negative relevancy.

Iverson isn't even close to being an analogue; tons of players have bounced around a handful of teams as they inevitably succumb to Father Time. Five years ago the Los Angeles Lakers considered re-signing this guy to be their franchise player for the next decade to be a priority. (One member of the Lakers' brass even commented that they envisioned there one day being a Dwight Howard statue outside of Staples Center, which in retrospect might be the most lol NBA front office quote ever).

My favorite detail of Dwight's Lakers season is that he missed more free throws in it than Steve Nash did in his entire career.

EDIT: No, wait, I lied; my favorite is when Tim Duncan lolled at him as he got ejected in Game 3 of their 2013 sweep.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  11. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Steve Francis and Stephon Marbury come to mind. But they weren't even close to being 8 time All-Stars. Shawn Kemp's weight gain also comes to mind. Kemp was a 6 time All-Star.

There really are no 8+ All-Star players that have been tossed around like this before they got wrecked by injuries or old and unproductive. Jason Kidd bounced around a little, but was always seen as a difference maker until the wheels fell off when he was like 37. Iverson didn't really bounce around that much, and he was still good in Denver. He just came to Detroit and pouted his way out of the NBA. So I think Iverson is a good comparison, the NBA lost interest in him quickly after what he did in Detroit, and then he quit. Shaq bounced around a bit at the end but he was old af and his bunions were hurting.

12. JediVision

Sep 6, 2015
  13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL damn. Nothing like tossing around a 6’11” 265 lb center like a hot potato.

I wasn’t familiar with Mozgov so I caught up; seems that he and Howard are essentially the same player but without the personality issues.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    that's a bit of a stretch imo, to say that timofey mozgov is essentially the same as a three time defensive player of the year, someone who has the 13th most rebounds in nba history and despite the rough road his career has been on is basically a lock for the hall of fame. howard's numbers last year were basically on par with his all-star seasons of old. i guess to me the question isn't so much about if a player has ever fallen off as much as howard but rather about whether the league has ever changed and left a player behind as much as it has with howard. ct made good points about howard's inability to improve and add new skills, but the bigger problem to me is that the skills he does have just aren't valued like they once were. interesting that the rockets have basically stuck with a center who plays a lot like a young howard, but they are obviously an exception.

DarthIntegral and CT-867-5309 like this.
  15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Oh, fo sho!

I found it humorous that people imagining for Golden State's demise, because where the franchise was just a few years ago and historically, which was the Cleveland Browns of the NBA. I mean, the NBA Lottery was probably the most hopeful point of the Dubs season, but then would be crushed on draft night with picks like Todd Fuller, Troy Murphy and all the misses before that and thereafter.

16. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    A season of **** all for tonight. Would love if we could trade up and get Bamba or in an ideal world Doncic. I’m resigned to gambling on Porter. I could also see us playing it safe and going Bridges or someone too.

Hope someone else gambles on Porter and someone who isn’t Young drops.

17. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Troy Murphy was actually a good pick at 11 and a solid player. Also drafted J-Rich (#5) and Gilbert Arenas (#31) that year.

But yeah I grew up in the 90s and did not see the Warriors as a good franchise, especially after Run TMC. Quite the opposite. Still, they've won three of the last four, so I'm rooting for their destruction.

18. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    So what’s the bet there’s no trades after all?

Porter seems to be dropping

19. JediVision

Sep 6, 2015
    From the most glamorous college program to the least glamorous NBA team. Sorry Marvin. Welcome to basketball exile.

You can check out some of the Lady Bird filming locations though.

20. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

Mavs found their next Euro HoF.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  21. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    Great deal for Mavs :/

22. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    Why doesn’t the commissioner announce the picks anymore? This show sucks, the twitter feed at the bottom beating the pundits on the trade

Missed Bamba by one pick. Ffs

23. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I do kinda hate how the NBA does draft trades. I like the way the NFL does it better, trading picks and then taking their guy.

With the NBA, a lot of years guys don't get traded until late at night or the next day, so you go to bed thinking a guy is going to one team, and then wake up the next day and he's going somewhere else.

It lessens the importance of the draft itself, because some of these guys aren't actually going where the draft said they're going. It's like what you're seeing doesn't matter.

24. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    Carter is a meh pick but hopefully I’m proved wrong. Porter was obv too much of a risk.

Couldn’t move up one spot to get Bamba though. Magic don’t even need a centre

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Carter was a hopeful for me for the Hornets. :(

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.