main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NBA Live 2003

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The Gatherer, Jan 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    I bought NBA Live 2003 about a week ago, and I believe that it is the best sports simulation that I have ever played.

I love that fact that EA Sports has rebuilt the code from sratch, the game is a lot faster and smoother, and has a lot more gameplay features. The new freestyle system is pretty good, and let's you attempt many complex realistic moves.

My favorite part of the EA Sports series, is the Franchise mode... however, I am a little disappointed that the maximum amount of seasons is still 10 years, unlike the Madden series, which has a 30 year franchise.

On my old NBA Live game (2001), I used to play on starter level. I have cranked it up to all-star in this game, and I lost my first 4 games of the season, but have one the next 2, so it should be more fun and competitive.

Anyone else play this game?

2. obi-wankenobiben

obi-wankenobiben Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    Did you say that the nba live 2003 franchise mode can only go up to 10 seasons? I am already on my 6th season with the kings won the championship every time went perfect last year on all-star level.My best player is of course T-mac who is now 98 overall!

3. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
    I did rent NBA Live 2003 (Xbox) about a month ago or so. I applaud EA for finally making some changes to one of their most horrendous sports titles. NBA Live has been a disaster for many years, and this year, they finally changed that. However, it is still not as good (IMO) as Sega/VC's NBA2K series. Sega has been doing hoops best since NBA2K1, and they have yet to relinquish that title. Sega's is way more realistic, you actually have to set up your plays, and actually take shots. NBA Live 2003 is mostly a dunk-fest, which, while very much like what the NBA has turned into, is not very fun.

4. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    obi-wankenobiben, what difficultly level are you playing on?

I am playing on All-Star, and so far, I am 3-6 in my first season (playing as the Lakers).

5. obi-wankenobiben

Jan 7, 2002
    I am playing on all-star, don't worry my first season on all-star was a wreck i almost did not make the playoffs.Last night finished my 6th season and playoffs 28-0 in season and 7-0 in the playoffs! Just traded Vince Carter for Allen Iverson in the offseason. Keep me posted on you too!

6. obi-wankenobiben

Jan 7, 2002
  7. JayFank

JayFank Jedi Master star 1

Jun 24, 2002
    nba live 2003 is the worst basketball game, ever. The pacing is horrible. The game itself is just a port to the ps2. graphics are crap. EA sucks. The only thing they have is Madden for sports. Sega dominates the rest. And Sega's football is just as good.

8. obi-wankenobiben

Jan 7, 2002
    I can't believe you said that, EA Sports makes The best Sports games and EA Games make some of the best games!

9. Jirin_Raman

Apr 6, 2002
    The only thing they have is Madden for sports. Sega dominates the rest.

JayFank is actually right on target with his statement. Sega's hoops game, hockey game are both better than EA's. Anyone who would rather play NBA Live or NHL from EA is more interested in an arcadey style of hoops or hockey, rather than Sega's realistic games of NBA 2K and NHL 2K.

10. JayFank

JayFank Jedi Master star 1

Jun 24, 2002
    Exactly. I have an XBOX, and well, I don't like EA due to the fact all they give the xbox is a direct port from the ps2 that doesn't give good graphics. They should develop it the xbox then go down to ps2. Be better off, but they're too lazy. Only thing EA can do right is football, and sega's nfl 2k series is just as good, if not better.

11. Jirin_Raman

Apr 6, 2002
    EA does have a laziness about them when it comes to Xbox games. It is sad that the code for EA's Xbox games isn't created specifically for the system.

My major "beef" with them is that NHL2K and NBA2K are such great games, yet they get no respect or even a look from many gamers, simply due to the brand loyalty many have towards EA. It's the same as Athlon vs Intel, Xbox vs PS2, etc---People go with the name, rather than giving the lesser known a try. I have been playing the NHL and NBA 2K series since the Dreamcast days (as well as NFL2K, but I thought 2K3 was a step back), and they are fantastic games, superior to EA Sports' games of the same sports.

12. obi-wankenobiben

Jan 7, 2002
    The Gatherer, How are you doing in your season and who is your star player?

13. obi-wankenobiben

Jan 7, 2002
    Does anyone post here anymore?

14. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    SNES NB4 Jam long ago is the closest I've gotten to winning any basketball, computer game or real life.

15. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Just finished a game tonight.

I am now 6-8 with the LA Lakers (which is true to how the started off this season in real life!).

Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant are the obvious stars, lesser players are playing pretty well though, such as Robert Horry.

Made my first trade the other day... a shooting guard (rating 77) and my backup centre (rating 67) for a centre (rating 73).

I needed a better backup centre, and had plenty of depth with the shooting guards already, so could afford to trade the rookie.

16. obi-wankenobiben

Jan 7, 2002
    If you wanr a good backup center get Yao Ming or Ben Wallace! So can you give me your whole roster of your team?

17. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    I don't think that Yao Ming is in the game.

Remember, trades are governed by the CPU as well, who run all the other teams in the league. You can't trade a chump for a champion. I have to strive for team balance.

18. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Can someone please tell me what the franchise mode in the Sega game is like? Does it have more than 10 seasons?

I don't know why NBA Live has 10 seasons, when Madden has 30 seasons.

For whatever game accomplished the below, they will win me over!

I believe that a franchise should go for 30 seasons. I believe that the game should have loaded in, all of the all-time stats, ie: most ever points, assists, rebounds, etc... of all time. That way, you can play with a rookie, and see how after the completion of his career, if he makes the all-time stats lists, you could even see if you could overtake Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's scoring accomplishments. That would be AWESOME!

Another fault which should be fixed, the game should have a screen which lists the previous years champions and award winners, ie:

2003 LA Lakers def New Jersey Nets 4-2
    2004 Sacramento def Miami 4-1
    2005 Atlanta def Sacramento 4-3
    2006 Boston def Sacramento 4-0

Etc...

Same for MVP's, Rookie of the Year, etc... That of all things, should not be hard to implement.

19. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    As requested, here is my current roster, with player overall rating (I am now 7-9).

C S. O'Neal 96
    PF R. Horry 86
    SF D. George 81
    SG K. Bryant 95
    PG D. Fisher 82
    ---------------- (Bench)
    R. Fox 81
    S. Walker 78
    T. Murray 77
    B. Shaw 77
    S. Medvedenko 75
    A. Guyton 73
    J. Amaechi 73
    ---------------- (Injured Reserve)
    J. Pargo 72
    M. Madsen 71

20. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    My best friend, who is an expert on the NBA, and a wiz at NBA Live, has these tips for running a franchise.

Always trade a player when they are on the last year of their contact, for someone of same value who has at least 3 years on their contract. Reason - many players don't re-sign when thier contract is up. Do this for ALL players, even if they are superstars such as Shaquille O'Neal. You should be able to trade him for someone of the same value, ie: Tim Duncan.

If a player drops his rating, even by a point, trade him. This means his has reached the peak of his career, and started his downward trend.

When trading, picking up free agents, etc... don't get anyone too old. Best to stick in the mid to late twenties.

Does anyone else have their own franchise strategies?

21. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    One other thing that would make NBA Live even better. I think the game needs a couple of more stats, just like the NBA has. For example, league leaders in double-doubles and triple-doubles, and have stat for the most efficient player, using the same formula that http://www.nba.com uses.

Also, when playing a game in season mode, it would be good to get live box scores of games currently playing... add to the overall atmosphere.

22. obi-wankenobiben

Jan 7, 2002
    Well,I started a new franchise with the pacers on Superstar Level i am 1-2 it makes all-star so easy!

23. Frank1212

Frank1212 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 16, 2001
    Kobe rocks McGrady. Any of you saw how he blew past him after T-Mac made him fall when he took the fade, on the first time they played?

24. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    What differences are there that make it harder on Superstar level? Is it harder to make shots, ie: you have to have better timing?

Is the computer AI even tougher?

What do you think of the suggestions that I made above?

25. obi-wankenobiben

Jan 7, 2002
    First off T-Mac is the Best Player in the NBA!.The computer controlled teams are much harder.I have to shoot most the time because the steal the ball when you drive to the hoop.I am still doing my kings season i am 14-0 on all-star level i plan to change to superstar level in my next franchise after i finish with the Kings.I am on my 7th season with the kings!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.